Kicking ones self very very hard

Shavings

Visit site
So as you all know chance moved last week and he was a complete gent about it

Sunday the yard owner took it upon her first to lunge him and then demand i got on

please remember chance hasn't done more then hack once a month for a mile in walk for the last 18 month due to my injuries

so she put me on (unbalanced rider) feed the lunge line back to the girth and chase him forward for canter he bucked (not big) but it did unseat me, i stayed on! (yay me!)

any way now she has turned and it cornering me in my stable after work saying he will kill me and i have to sell him and by one of hers, shes even trying to put him in a wagon that is going on the ferry to main land (England) on Saturday night

Im heart broken i didn't want this for my boy and regret the move, so he is going to move again this Saturday, haven't told yard owner and wont til an hour before the wagon arrives as shes a "prickly" person

please tell me things get better i feel i have let chance down.

a few forum members have seen the video of Sunday and have been super supportive so please don't bi my head of Im upset enough

bluepegasus

Visit site
Oh yikes, sounds like you've got yourself in a right pickle! Don't let this new YO upset you too much or tell you what to do. I can't believe she's trying to get rid of your horse for you!
Fingers crossed where you are moving to will be better for you both and yes, things will definitely get better. Sending virtual hugs.....

I'm thinking of moving my horse, but reading this makes me doubt myself. You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone.

Annagain

Visit site
Oh dear, and it all sounded so good. This is a minor blip don't beat yourself up about it. The only thing you possibly did wrong was not saying no to the YO when you felt uncomfortable but that's very difficult when someone is so forceful. Well done for staying on and it sounds like moving on is the best course of action if the YO is treating you like that. You haven't let him down at all, in terms of his behaviour this one minor incident probably caused by a lack of balance rather than any malice and there's no reason to believe it will happen again. You have years ahead with Chance, one bad day will pale into insignificance very soon.

be positive

Visit site
Well that is possibly the most bonkers YO yet, you are getting out on Saturday which is your only option, hope the move goes well and you and your poor horse can get over this, move on to a normal yard and start back riding with a better chance of success, take it slowly, get sensible help and you will be fine , it sounds as if she had an ulterior motive, to make money from you and not just the livery money.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
i was on a yard with one of these YO...........people would bring a horse that they were happy with, hacking, playing at either RC or round the 80/90cm 1 day event and a bit of dressage etc etc. but having a fun time, perhaps they had bigger visions................within a year i could guarantee that the YO would have sold them a youngster with the potential to do, fill in the blank....... dressage above elementary or 1* or what ever.

within 6 months this horse would then be on full livery with her or her staff riding as the owner was finding it a bit much.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Having seen the video of this, I can say for definite that this is a bonkers YO. More than that, I think she's the sort of person who shouldn't be allowed near a horse, ever. Chance didn't even really buck on the lunge, it was barely a protest (though Shavings sat it very well and handled it nicely), and he was being thoroughly provoked. The poor horse's head was cinched into his chest awkwardly and he looked thoroughly uncomfortable as this woman chased him round. It makes me really angry to see Shavings and Chance treated with so little respect.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm sure we have all made mistakes about yard choices at some time or other - we certainly did, with our 1st Appaloosa! Don't beat yourself up about it, you have already made arrangements to get him out of there. If YO wants you to have another 'schooling session' just say 'no, not today' and leave it at that.

I hope your next yard works out better - it must do there can't be 2 YOs as bad as that on one small island!

BOWS28

Visit site
I have to agree with TiddlyPom.. You need him out of there today. Nutters like this will do as they please if they are given half the chance. Drop what you're doing, find someone with a lorry, get on the phone to the yard you're moving him to and get him there quick.

Don't beat yourself up about it though, just unlucky that you have found a royal loon.

Last edited:

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
So sorry you're going through this. Yard moves are so difficult and unfortunately there are many strange people in the horse world. Well done for getting yourself moved again and I hope wherever you end up is a whole lot nicer to you and your lovely horse.

HEM

Visit site
She sounds like a looney!

You're definitely doing the right thing moving again! Good luck with the move and get as far away from the crazy lady as possible:oops: People forever amaze me!

I would also be conscious of her putting him on a lorry Saturday night might change to earlier! Did you make it clear to her that that was going to be happening?

DD

Visit site
what on earth are you doing letting yourself be bossed around by a YO. you are the customer you are paying. tell her where to shove it and move elsewhere.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Don't be to hard on yourself - we all get sucked in by the odd loon from time to time. Its the trouble with the horse world, its full of them and its hard to tell the difference as first impressions can be very misleading. And you can't always judge by other peoples opinions or advice, as they might be the nut job!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Don't be to hard on yourself - we all get sucked in by the odd loon from time to time. Its the trouble with the horse world, its full of them and its hard to tell the difference as first impressions can be very misleading. And you can't always judge by other peoples opinions or advice, as they might be the nut job!

And, if you can't work out who the nutjob is in your circle, it's probably you ;)

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I really feel for you as I've been in a very similar situation and had to 'kidnap' my own horse to get out of the yard. I hope you manage to move yours successfully. Good luck to you x

JFTDWS

Visit site
It probably is me in all honesty - my horsey circle is now so small it only includes me and people I pay to be there LOL

Actually my non horsey circle isn't much bigger - I don't really like people!

Generally, in my circle it's also me - but every now and then a real loon comes along and shocks me into thinking I'm actually pretty sane :eek:

I also don't like people. At all.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I suspect that the nutjob YO already has another buyer lined up. She’ll have deliberately set up the ‘misbehaviour’ on the lunge hoping that it would frighten you off him. Chance is a lovely lad who’s worth his weight in gold, he’s a very desirable horse. That’s why IMHO you need to move him now.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I suspect that the nutjob YO already has another buyer lined up. She’ll have deliberately set up the ‘misbehaviour’ on the lunge hoping that it would frighten you off him. Chance is a lovely lad who’s worth his weight in gold, he’s a very desirable horse. That’s why IMHO you need to move him now.

Wouldn't surprise me. I lost a long term client a few years back when another instructor convinced her that her horse was wrong for her, sold her another one and then sold the original one onto her brother in law as a hunter. She then convinced her to keep the new one with her on full livery and have lessons with her ....

It's a well practised scam in some parts.

Shavings you have found out early enough that this is the wrong place for Chance, you've only lost a week, so get him moved (he will be absolutely fine) and get yourself some more sympathetic and empathetic help, and you'll be fine too :)

Nasicus

Visit site
I was thinking exactly that myself!