Kicking out in hind brushing boots

MissJessica

Visit site
I have an incredibly intelligent pony.

I purchased four protective boots, they're lovely, light and breathable.

When I put them on my pony started cow kicking and walking as if they were travel boots. They're not. They also fit well & are not loose or chunky but cover the leg well.

I started to lunge him & he went well then towards the end started kicking out so violently I had to take them off through fear of him hurting himself.

Second time I put them on today he started it immediately & almost refused to go forward because of it.

Obviously I can remove them, sell them. But just wondering if he needs more time to adjust to them or whether he'll always hate them?

Such a shame because I always bandage & he is fine & booting would just save me time.

fornema

Visit site
My 4 year old did this, absolutely hates boots on her back legs unfortunately she is the accident prone type so really should wear boots in the field so I have turned her out in the boots for short periods of time i.e. while poo picking, which has definitely improved her reaction to them.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Is it possible that they are tight, the way I put but on is to slap them on the leg, hold in position with hand and slap the velcro on, this means they stay on but are no tighter where the velcro is than the whole boot. Obviously slapping does not involve surprising the horse: they are just held against the leg and the hand folds them on to the leg. Hope that makes sense.

MissJessica

Visit site
They're soft and also not very bulky. He can be very switched on.

Going to hack in them today, they may not be so irritating in a straight line.

DD

Visit site
can you leave them on in the stable? horses need to get used to unfamiliar things, the more the pony wears them the more he will get used to them. Leave them on for an hour or two in the stable then take him a walk when hes ok with this lunge him in them. build up in stages. once he realises they are there to stay he'll ignore them.

MissJessica

Visit site
Hacked out successfully in them today. Turning. Crossing over h S legs for gates etc no problem.

As I thought possibly a little too switched on & quickly learnt I was concerned when he initially kicked out in the school. So continued to do so.

We hacked for 1 hour 30 & not even the slightest reaction at any point.

Thank you for your help.