Killing a horse is not murder!

twiggy2

Visit site
Possibly a silly question, but what would those who say it's not murder, call it? Personally, I don't call it murder, I usually say euthanised, but was just wondering what the "correct" term would be?

with an injection, euthanised, put to sleep, PTS, released,

with a gun, shot, released

the whole ending the life of a fit animal is sad but personally I agree it is needed currently in order to prevent suffering

Casey76

Visit site
Killing of unwanted stock is usually referred to as "culling" (or "destruction")

I must have been a serial "murderer" when I used to breed chickens. At 6, 10 and 15 weeks of age I'd have a cull and destroy any birds which had incorrect markings. My cats used to love a cull day. (and my freezer got refilled)

BSL

Visit site
I wish people would stop, on various threads, referring to killing a horse humanely as murder.

Murder is killing a human.

Using it to refer to euthanasing a horse makes light of murdering a human being. The two are simply not comparable.

Another good one cptrayes. ;)

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
This thread is in my eye a form of bullying. Taking one persons comment and making an entire scene is a disgrace, and it is being continued on in silly remarks to the person. Think about how you are acting.

I agree. Not so long ago CPtrayes started a thread containing a petition that called for a change in law with regards to animals being classed as property. What a joke. Rhodders is perfectly entitled to use the word murder - it was an emotive subject & one that was an ethical issue not a grammatical one.

Last edited:

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
This thread is in my eye a form of bullying. Taking one persons comment and making an entire scene is a disgrace, and it is being continued on in silly remarks to the person. Think about how you are acting.

It's not one person's comment, it was repeated by a number of people, including some of those who are not normally agin a fairly strong stance on unwanted animals. However, I hadn't realised that the first person to use the word was Rhodders, had I done so I'd probably have deleted my comment before hitting the post button. However, Rhodders could have stopped digging her(?) hole.

Edited to reduce "multitude" incorrectly used to "a number of people".

FionaM12

Visit site
It's not one person's comment, it was repeated by a multitude, including some of those who are not normally agin a fairly strong stance on unwanted animals. However, I hadn't realised that the first person to use the word was Rhodders, had I done so I'd probably have deleted my comment before hitting the post button. However, Rhodders could have stopped digging her(?) hole.

I wasn't aware this thread was aimed at anyone, I thought it was about the general misuse of the word "murder" as often appears here and elsewhere. I was simply trying to make a point about language. :confused3:

Rhodders came in telling people to grow up and calling them pathetic, which I must admit wound me up a bit. :rolleyes3:

If anyone felt I was getting at them, I assure you I wasn't, I've not been following any other thread on this topic and was making a general point (rather unsuccessfully, it seems :D). :)

Last edited:

Moya_999

Visit site
Personally, not reading the other post but - if I did not want a foal why would I buy one in foal?? unless it was not found in foal till after I brought it. Then again most get a vet to do a pre purchase check.

Why did the buyer not find another horse not in foal as she is hard up for cash but could afford to terminate a foal, surely the sensible thing would be to buy one not in foal without the added vet bill of a termination!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
It's not one person's comment, it was repeated by a number of people, including some of those who are not normally agin a fairly strong stance on unwanted animals. However, I hadn't realised that the first person to use the word was Rhodders, had I done so I'd probably have deleted my comment before hitting the post button. However, Rhodders could have stopped digging her(?) hole.

Edited to reduce "multitude" incorrectly used to "a number of people".

What hole? As per normal the current HHO bitches grabbed onto one word, one post & berated One poster repeatedly. Juvenile, pathetic & boring.

webble

Visit site
Personally, not reading the other post but - if I did not want a foal why would I buy one in foal?? unless it was not found in foal till after I brought it. Then again most get a vet to do a pre purchase check.

Why did the buyer not find another horse not in foal as she is hard up for cash but could afford to terminate a foal, surely the sensible thing would be to buy one not in foal without the added vet bill of a termination!
All those questions are answered on that thread which has a very happy ending

cptrayes

Visit site
This thread was not about one thread or one poster. There are frequent references to killing horses described as murder on this forum.

Murder is the killing of a human being and should not, in my opinion, be reduced by being used about an animal.

cptrayes

Visit site

I did NOT take one person's comment or even one thread as an example for this thread , and if anyone is being bullied on this thread is coming perilously close to being me!

I have called no-one a bitch, I have criticised no-one and yet there are a gang of you on this forum happy to do that to me. Look at your own behaviour guys!

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
I did NOT take one person's comment or even one thread as an example for this thread , and if anyone is being bullied on this thread is coming perilously close to being me!

I have called no-one a bitch, I have criticised no-one and yet there are a gang of you on this forum happy to do that to me. Look at your own behaviour guys!

Apologies CPtrayes, I shouldn't have used that word. My mouth runneth over - again.

Broodle

Visit site
I don't necessarily agree that language is so fixed and rigid - yes, there are dictionary definitions of every word but do we always use them in the correct manner? No, because we are not perfect and many of us are a tad prone to over dramatisation. For example, having had the unpleasant experience of watching x-factor the other week, I definitely was of the view that some of the contestants "murdered" their chosen song and my yardowner who suffers from bad knees has on more than one occassion announced that they are "murdering" her. How often have we stated that we are "freezing"or "starving"? But are we really? Clearly an incorrect use of the term on each occassion, but quite a common habit. And whilst I believe that to be forgivable in the context of non emotive or fairly "irrelevant" subjects, I think purposefully using incorrect terminology in the context of emotive subjects where the intention of doing so is purely to make the recipient feel guilt/shame is not so forgivable.

^^^ Excellent post, and I felt the part in bold should be repeated :)

Broodle

Visit site
And yet none of us know that it was used in this way.

Oh, I'm not referring to any particular poster or post, but merely adding my support to the notion that the context in which words are used has a big effect on their impact. So, 'murder' used in the context of pts an animal implies that the person responsible is a 'murderer' and therefore more or less as reprehensible as a person can be.

Equi

Visit site

It comes very soon after that post so I still think it is directed at that one.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The use of the word murder when discussing the death of an animal, or describing some-one who brings about the death of animal, as a murderer, shows a staggering level of niavety, imo and is often used on this forum, among other places, to try and make someone feel guilty about their proposed plans. Unless the person using the term is vegan, then I can only presume that they consider their own diet the product of 'murder'.

Doormouse

Visit site

Could I just ask please if you have a blood test taken to check for pregnancy when you purchase a horse. Do you honestly think I would have knowingly bought a pony that was in foal when I have not the finances nor the facilities to cope.

I suggest you read things properly before commenting in a disparaging fashion towards others, your comments come across as rude and ignorant. Had you bothered to read the thread you would perhaps be aware of my turmoil and distress which people like you add to. I fully took the comments from others on the thread about their horror and sympathised with it as that is what I felt but your comment simply implies that I am irresponsible and stupid.

Last edited:

Tnavas

Visit site
Not in my dictionary it's not.

mur·der
ˈmərdər/Submit
noun
the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another.
"the stabbing murder of an off-Broadway producer"
synonyms: killing, homicide, assassination, liquidation, extermination, execution, slaughter, butchery, massacre; More
informal
a very difficult or unpleasant task or experience.
"my first job at the steel mill was murder"
synonyms: hell, hell on earth, a nightmare, an ordeal, a trial, misery, torture, agony
"driving there was murder"
verb
verb: murder; 3rd person present: murders; past tense: murdered; past participle: murdered; gerund or present participle: murdering
kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation.
"somebody tried to murder Joe"
synonyms: kill, put to death, assassinate, execute, liquidate, eliminate, dispatch, butcher, slaughter, massacre, wipe out; More

Tnavas

Visit site

Always pays to read all the posts!

No one was aware the mare could have been in foal until Doormouse believed the pony was becoming ridiculously fat and had the vet check the mare over.

I wouldn't expect the vet to blood test for a foal if I had a mare vet checked unless I thought there was a possibility the mare could be in foal. Its not part of a normal vet check. You'd have to ask as you do for checking for drugs.

Its going to be a really early one if Doomouse bought the mare in May and the previous owners got her back from the old lease home in April, possibly a February or hopefully March foal.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Could I just ask please if you have a blood test taken to check for pregnancy when you purchase a horse.

Don't rise :) Of course most people who buy mares don't have them pregnancy checked (I do but I'm unusual as that's my business!) or geldings checked that all their bits came off correctly. It's bad luck, but it seems that in the UK these stories of bad luck are becoming ridiculously common these days.

I digress, the word murder is reserved for humans and only humans. An animal is killed, slaughtered, euthanised etc but never murdered, and yes it does make me think the writer who chooses to use the word 'murder' when referring to animals is uneducated.

Doormouse

Visit site
Don't rise :) .

I know, I knew as soon as I pressed the go button that I shouldn't have. It is the only post that has made me really upset and angry, all the others were people's own justified opinions and I understood completely, they had every right to express their opinions but that one just basically called me stupid!