Kimblewick

lcw

Visit site
THankyou farrowcat.
My mare crosses her jaw and gets strong mainly when riding in open spaces and her brakes sometimes don’t work, she is good pony just gets a little full of herself and excitable.

lcw

Visit site
I like a kimblewick. People do use them with grackles, its a very pony club type thing to to (or it was when I was growing up) when hunting etc strong ponies.
Oh thankyou,
I’ve had my mare ten years , the last 7 years I have lived in rural wales and just plodded around on forest tracks and occasionally took her into a school, now my daughter wants me to do farm rides as we have moved to Cheshire, I’ve used the same wilkie snaffle for the past ten years, I’m not at all knowledgable on bits

Nudibranch

Visit site
I used one on my Fell for a while as she liked to pull when in the open when she arrived. I've since changed to a thin half cheek with lozenge as she has a fleshy tongue with not much room, and I've schooled her out of taking a hold. But the kimblewick is a good bit of kit and underrated these days, as Faracat said.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Oh thankyou,
I’ve had my mare ten years , the last 7 years I have lived in rural wales and just plodded around on forest tracks and occasionally took her into a school, now my daughter wants me to do farm rides as we have moved to Cheshire, I’ve used the same wilkie snaffle for the past ten years, I’m not at all knowledgable on bits

people do use them in combination-am not sure I would first off. Out of all the nosebands I prefer a grackle but there's always a risk that too many brakes leads to a pony that feels a bit too restricted- leads to bucking (for example).

Does she 'only' cross her jaw or does she raise or lower head? A wilkie is a gag bit which lifts a head (hence me asking). I also have a Fell although he's currently in a pony pelham (he can also get strong, basically sticks his nose in air to one side and tanks), I have a kimblewick but haven't really tried him out in it yet. I also have a grackle lol but have only used it with the snaffle.

Last edited:

lcw

Visit site
I used one on my Fell for a while as she liked to pull when in the open when she arrived. I've since changed to a thin half cheek with lozenge as she has a fleshy tongue with not much room, and I've schooled her out of taking a hold. But the kimblewick is a good bit of kit and underrated these days, as Faracat said.
Thanks you for your reply, I’ve started schooling again now I’m at a yard, I use her wilkie for that, I was thinking a kimblewick use for the days when it’s gonna be needed, say when out on hacks or farm rides or out in our large field that has jumps.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Kimblewick fan here (Uttoxeter) 🙂 ported one suits my mare who has a small mouth and fat tongue - we use it for exciting stuff but only on top slot & with cavesson noseband - if you choose the Uttoxeter version you have a bit more leverage on the bottom slot if needed 😉

Teajack

Visit site
My Welsh type cob was fine in a kimblewick with no noseband. She had been a horror in a snaffle. She crossed her jaw and had broken previous owner's collection of drops, flashes etc

lcw

Visit site
people do use them in combination-am not sure I would first off. Out of all the nosebands I prefer a grackle but there's always a risk that too many brakes leads to a pony that feels a bit too restricted- leads to bucking (for example).

Does she 'only' cross her jaw or does she raise or lower head? A wilkie is a gag bit which lifts a head (hence me asking). I also have a Fell although he's currently in a pony pelham (he can also get strong, basically sticks his nose in air to one side and tanks), I have a kimblewick but haven't really tried him out in it yet. I also have a grackle lol but have only used it with the snaffle.
She has always crossed her jaw from the day I bought her ten years ago, she sometimes will put her nose in the air when she wants to go a little faster,
And has tanked off before now and I think it’s always in the back of my mind.

She was such a clever and well Schooled pony,
I was thinking of starting lessons again with her like I did years ago.
She has never bucked, reared or thrown me off and I love her soooo much, I just want to start doing the things with her that I dreamt off years ago, like riding her on a beach which is my dream.
also my confidence isn’t what it used to be.

lcw

Visit site
My Welsh type cob was fine in a kimblewick with no noseband. She had been a horror in a snaffle. She crossed her jaw and had broken previous owner's collection of drops, flashes etc
I had the dentist last week to do their routine teeth and he said blimey your pony has a strong jaw, I said tell me about it 🙈

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
As someone else also said if you go that route I would be inclined to get a slotted one then you have a few options you can try.
The wilkie will obviously have some gag action anyway.

lcw

Visit site
I'm another fan.

Many years ago I bought one for my 8yo daughter to go hunting on her strong little Dartmoor stallion (who was safe, but a bit enthusiastic)... it has now entered family folklore as the best present ever.
THats great, I’m beginning to think I should have tried this bit 10 years ago,
Hopefully it will help my old arms from being pulled from the sockets 🙈