Kings Troop horse dies during gun salute

HihoGinger

Visit site
RIP Murphy.

Saw this and wondered why does the Daily Mail have to publish so many photographs, it really wasn't necessary.

Because they are a bunch of sick S.O.B's who seem to get a kick out of publishing pics of dead or dying horses. An explanation would have more than sufficed :(

jules89

Visit site
this is so sad, but am saddened further to find that their quote isn't quite right about not having this happen before

http://www.horsemagazine.co.uk/news...g_Royal_Windsor_rehearsal_article_256345.html

Really sad but at least it was quick, and the horse died doing his service, and he clearly touched the hearts of the soldiers around him

These horses realy are amazing and I really do have the most upmost respect for them and what they do, and what they represent.

Coop

Visit site
Because they are a bunch of sick S.O.B's who seem to get a kick out of publishing pics of dead or dying horses. An explanation would have more than sufficed :(

I agree, its awful the ways they report this in such detail, but don't mention of any of our equine athletes when they do well at competing internationally in the sports section.

I really hope those people are not taking photos in the background.

teapot

Visit site
this is so sad, but am saddened further to find that their quote isn't quite right about not having this happen before

http://www.horsemagazine.co.uk/news...g_Royal_Windsor_rehearsal_article_256345.html

Completely different movement though, sad as they both are. The 'scissors' movement is highly dangerous, whereas given the location of the guns in those photos it doesn't look like they weren't doing that movement (not something you'd do at a Royal Salute tbf). Also given that the tack's designed for the horse to fall from underneath and out the way, methinks that horse as a wheeler was very very unlucky to fall straight down and into the path of the gun.

At least Murphy would have been seen by a vet very quickly, far quicker than any normal horse at home. RIP :(

Bryndu

Visit site

Actually ....I thought the pictures of the faces of the soldiers desperately and urgently trying to help one of the much loved horses in their care were truly great. So often we just get a written report or some library picture of horses dashing around and people fail to tell the emotion behind the tragedy.

Some years ago, whilst at the Bath&West show one of the guns had an accident and one of the horses was struck into from behind by another horse. The horse was able to walk out of the ring having received veterinary attention but I can tell you it was not happy to have been 'stood down'!

Bryndu

Dizzydancer

Visit site
It is very sad. Agree there is no need for all the pictures- but as said above it does show the emotion of soldiers.
But as others have said atleast there is a vet onsite so murphy was seen to quickly, and the kings troop all love there horses so it must be an incredibly sad day for all involved.
R.i.p murphy

horsey_jo

Visit site
Spent a lot of time with the KT - I bet somewhere tonight is a big burly bloke crying into his pillow because he's lost his horse!
RIP Murphy and my thoughts are with the staff of his subsection who will be grieving for him tonight :(

MillionDollar

Visit site
This has happened before and believe me all the members of the Kings Troop will be devastated just like when it happened before. Like you say they are looked after very well, but they also all very much loved by all and are members of a big 'family'.

Very sad ;(

ChestnutConvert

Visit site
Actually ....I thought the pictures of the faces of the soldiers desperately and urgently trying to help one of the much loved horses in their care were truly great. So often we just get a written report or some library picture of horses dashing around and people fail to tell the emotion behind the tragedy.

Some years ago, whilst at the Bath&West show one of the guns had an accident and one of the horses was struck into from behind by another horse. The horse was able to walk out of the ring having received veterinary attention but I can tell you it was not happy to have been 'stood down'!

Bryndu

i agree with you here, those of us who are lucky enough to see the kings troop in action on their displays feel some sort of attachment. I saw them 2 weeks ago at Windsor and even after 20 years of watching their display, although it is different horses, you can't help but be drawn to them as animals.
If we feel like this then god only knows what the soldiers feel, mosat of us have lost a horse in many different ways and to see the caring, emaotional side of the soldiers is somewhat of a comfort, dare i say it. It shows they are human!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
No problem with the photos - it shows what happened, and the quick and concerned respsone of the troup.

I do hope, though, that some thought is now given to the type of displays they put on for the public - because this accident didn't need to happen.

turkana

Visit site

Bryndu

I also agree with this comment, yes the pictures aren't nice but I found them very moving & show the soldiers helping Murphy & doing their best for him.

bensababy

Visit site
No problem with the photos - it shows what happened, and the quick and concerned respsone of the troup.

I do hope, though, that some thought is now given to the type of displays they put on for the public - because this accident didn't need to happen.

I agree to some extent, but the same can be said for any kind of public sport like eventing, this is displayed to the public and just as awful things can happen there, where do you draw the line at types of displays?

akn102

Visit site
Perhaps someone should have considered how dry and hard the ground is the likelihood of a horse slipping like this is clearly increased.

As for the horses being 'well cared for' - from who's perspective. I'm sure they are well groomed, in highly manicured stables etc etc. From the horses perspective I'm not entirely sure this is actually very important; what about his mental and emotional needs ie being out in a field with his mates for a least a portion of his day? It saddened me recently watching a some programme about the household cavalry when a soldier commented some of the horses are 'grumpy'. If you look at their withers it is totally apparent their tack doesn't fit comfortably; they stand tied up in stalls with little opportunity to actual just be horses - wouldn't that make you grumpy!

Every aspect of all our working lives could leave us vulnerable to an accident but in this instance i really do think safety of the horses needs to be considered more fully. I would dream of galloping my horse anywhere at the moment the ground is so hard it would be tantamount to galloping on tarmac.

These horses have no choice about the job they do and I think it's time we all started considering things from the perspective of the horse; they are not our possessions or here on this planet for our convenience.

I feel no pity for the soldiers who choose to do this job I only feel sorry for the needless loss of life. i would also condemn the Daily Mail who continue to publish for sensationalism not news.

EquestrianType

Visit site
Perhaps someone should have considered how dry and hard the ground is the likelihood of a horse slipping like this is clearly increased.

As for the horses being 'well cared for' - from who's perspective. I'm sure they are well groomed, in highly manicured stables etc etc. From the horses perspective I'm not entirely sure this is actually very important; what about his mental and emotional needs ie being out in a field with his mates for a least a portion of his day? It saddened me recently watching a some programme about the household cavalry when a soldier commented some of the horses are 'grumpy'. If you look at their withers it is totally apparent their tack doesn't fit comfortably; they stand tied up in stalls with little opportunity to actual just be horses - wouldn't that make you grumpy!

Every aspect of all our working lives could leave us vulnerable to an accident but in this instance i really do think safety of the horses needs to be considered more fully. I would dream of galloping my horse anywhere at the moment the ground is so hard it would be tantamount to galloping on tarmac.

These horses have no choice about the job they do and I think it's time we all started considering things from the perspective of the horse; they are not our possessions or here on this planet for our convenience.

I feel no pity for the soldiers who choose to do this job I only feel sorry for the needless loss of life. i would also condemn the Daily Mail who continue to publish for sensationalism not news.

What absolute drivel you write..perhaps you should call on King's Troop and give them the benefit of your 'armchair'expertise Dear!

Do read and try and absorb previous comments on this thread and maybe just maybe Dear you might refrain from such an 'outburst' and be able to keep up.

Horsey_Jo for one said it all.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I agree to some extent, but the same can be said for any kind of public sport like eventing, this is displayed to the public and just as awful things can happen there, where do you draw the line at types of displays?

It's a fair point - and I'm not sure what the answer is.

photoman125

New User
Visit site

Maybe before you make stupid comments about these soldiers you should actually try meeting them. They live with their horses 24/7 and are often found spending their off duty time with them as well. Many of the horses when they retire from army life are actually bought by soldiers. They are exercised daily and are very well treated.
Every horse is loved ,caared for and all their equipment made for them and it would be an offence for any soldier to not have their tack fitted correctly.
Do not compare Kings Troop to the life Guards, they are 2 seperate items. I know most of the troop, my son is one of them and i can tell you that every member of the troop were upset, the horse had been ridden by my son and he is in tears at the news. He wasn't at the event as he is currently serving in Afghanistan, so please try to remember under the uniform there is a human being just as capable as getting upset as anyone else. RIP Murphy

Saucisson

Visit site
I have never seen this display in person, however i would like to know if the horses appear to enjoy doing what they do?

One of them definitely seemed to enjoy chucking me on the floor :D I thought they'd be a bit ploddy after pulling guns around - how wrong I was :eek:

Personally, I really enjoy the displays, I also think it's important to keep this link to our past and to be reminded of the life-death bond between a soldier in combat and the working horses they depend upon.

Would I be correct in saying that horses were used in the Falklands War to transport supplies? I'd be worried if we lost all of that knowledge and training.

photoman125

New User
Visit site
I'm not sure about the Falklands but I will ask my son when he phones next week from Aghanistan, it is before his time but he does know all of the troops history