Kissing Spine op at Cotts (update)

welsh_mare

Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Visit site
For those that didn't read my first post a quick update, Tilly's behaviour changed, refusing to go forward when ridden and rearing and throwing herself into things, walls, hedges, concrete posts:eek: whilst I was riding her.
Vet came out, could find no problems, she was given a thorough check over, vet was with us for around 2 hours, we put Tilly on Regumate as she was in season and arranged to take her into to scan ovaries.
Scan showed nothing, so vet decided to x-ray spine, and there it was Kissing Spine :(

Tilly was operated on the following day with the new surgery for KS that Cotts have been using, 5 days post op, no change in the x-ray of her spine and when they scanned her back the muscle to the right was atrophied (sp) think that's the right word!, anyway the muscle on the right was a lot smaller than the left muscle :(

Now for the update :) took Tilly back yesterday 7 weeks post op, vet and physio could both see a difference with her walking in hand :) she had a bit of work with the physio then went for her x-ray, the vet described the x-ray as "pretty spectacular" he then took us through to see it, if you didn't know Tilly's history you would never say she had KS, it was amazing the areas where they were touching have opened up, honestly it was better than I could have hoped for :)
Then Tilly was scanned, the muscle on the left was the same size, the muscle on the right has enlarged and is the same as the left :) . Best case scenario, well we got it, we could not have hoped for better results :) . I have to say its the x-ray that has blown me away!, I never thought we could open the spaces (or lack of them 7 weeks ago!) so much.

So after all that waffle I am one extremely happy bunny The vets are very happy the results we have in 7 weeks is amazing, and I'm so pleased we went ahead with this new operation.

The plan now for Tilly is to carry on with the Pessoa for another 4 weeks as she is still a bit tight over her loins on the right hand side, and not always happy to go forward on the lunge, so have a few more exercises from physio for her, and physio said if I felt she was ready I don't have to wait the 4 weeks before I get on going to phone saddle fitter tomorrow and arrange a visit so when I do get on everything will be ready, i am so excited

Thank-you for reading my essay :eek: I would offer rose wine but it seems to have gone!, must be the heat, it's evaporated :eek:

Cheiro1

Visit site
Glad she is doing well :)

What did they do in the op? I am assuming from what you say no spinal processes were removed?

welsh_mare

Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Visit site
Thanks both :) has very relieved :)

Cheiro1 your right no processess were removed, it's key hole surgery, they go in above the areas where the areas are close and cut the ligament!, I don't describe it very well, so will put a link to Cotts fact sheet, maybe because of going through it with Tilly but I found the Factsheet interesting, very different to the original operation!

http://www.cottsequine.co.uk/downloads/kissing-spines-info-sheet.pdf