Kissing spine surgery

horsekrazy

Visit site
hi everyone i've finally made the decision to have my boy go through the KS surgery and have been looking up Cotts equine with their new technique anyone had it done through them? how is your horse doing now?
thanks for reading! :)

sharper

New User
Visit site
Hi, my horse had KS surgery at Rossdales 6 weeks ago and so far so good. he was there for a week in total and they looked after him beautifully and called me each date with a progress report. When he came home he had to have box rest for 2 weeks, then staples removed, followed by 2 weeks walking in hand twice a day for 15 mins. Yesterday he was turned out for the first time in a small paddock for 2 months field rest, then back to Rossdales for assessment to see if ridden work can start again. My horse had the surgery standing up - i think this is the preferred way of doing things these days however, different vets have different thoughts and rehabilition programmes. Good luck with your horse it is a very worrying time and a difficult decision to make. I will admit i have had lots of sleepless nights wondering if i have done the right thing but hopefully it will all be worth it at the end. Good luck!!

sharper

New User
Visit site
My horse had standing surgery at Rossdales. he is now out in the field for 2 months before going back to Newmarket for an assessment with a view to commencing ridden work. I am trying not to read into things too much but there are changes in his behaviour that i think are signs that he is starting to feel better. He has stopped lying down in the field all day flat out - he's now grazing most of the day and his weight is picking up. He can reach round with his neck to scratch himself, something he always struggled with before. he would try and bite you when you groomed his left side, this has stopped. He is happier for you to pick his hind feet out. he has a much better expression and is interested in whats going on around him - before he looked withdrawn, listless and generally disinterested. Fingers crossed these are all improvements in the right direction.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
My horse had standing surgery at Rossdales. he is now out in the field for 2 months before going back to Newmarket for an assessment with a view to commencing ridden work. I am trying not to read into things too much but there are changes in his behaviour that i think are signs that he is starting to feel better. He has stopped lying down in the field all day flat out - he's now grazing most of the day and his weight is picking up. He can reach round with his neck to scratch himself, something he always struggled with before. he would try and bite you when you groomed his left side, this has stopped. He is happier for you to pick his hind feet out. he has a much better expression and is interested in whats going on around him - before he looked withdrawn, listless and generally disinterested. Fingers crossed these are all improvements in the right direction.

I will keep my fingers crossed for your boy. Sounds good so far. Sadly my boy has relapsed to how he was before. So gutting as I put in so much work with him and his back had muscled up really well, but his shooting pain is back and I can't even saddle him now.

sharper

New User
Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear you have had a relapse I hope that you get some positive news back from rossdales when you speak to them on Tuesday I'm sure they will be able to give you the best advice. Good luck x

kezimac

Visit site
oooh welsh mare can you keep us updated with how your horse gets on ???? - really interested in this op as think the traditional route of removing processes may not work with mine - she has 8 impinging or close
How many does your horse have?

welsh_mare

Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Visit site
Hi Kezimac of course I will keep you updated :). My vet told me she had 6 they needed to operate on but when I took her rug up last night (vet wasn't about) she had seven areas marked!!, if you look for the post I did last night in NL I put a link on for the fact sheet from Cotts about this operation, will put some pics up later if I can get some decent ones!

HarryHound

Visit site
Yes please do keep us posted. I have been talking to Richard Coomer about this option too. Its that or put my mare in foal though i don't want to cause her anymore pain and i have no idea if being in foal would though one vet did say it could be the answer. With the best will in the world as everyone says all cases are different and the vets like us have no crystal ball. If only. Wishing you and your pony all the luck in the world.

Tempi

Visit site
Yes please do keep us posted. I have been talking to Richard Coomer about this option too. Its that or put my mare in foal though i don't want to cause her anymore pain and i have no idea if being in foal would though one vet did say it could be the answer. With the best will in the world as everyone says all cases are different and the vets like us have no crystal ball. If only. Wishing you and your pony all the luck in the world.

I have nothing to comment on kissing spine but please DO NOT put your horse in foal if it has KS - firstly there is no proof that its not hereditory and secondly there is no way your horse could carry a foal and not be in pain as it the extra weight puts a lot of strain on all the bones/joints/muscles etc of the horse. I honestly cant believe a vet suggested that......

There are also a million other things to consider before putting your horse in foal, the cost, complications, is your mare good enough to breed from in the first place, can you afford to keep 2 horses, and would you have actually bred from your mare in the first place? Breeding isnt just something you do if you can't ride your horse.......

welsh_mare

Second star to the right and straight on till morn
Visit site
Hi, thanks to all who have replied, will start a new thread tonight with pics, and hopefully some good news, allthough I know this is just the start!,
Harryhound, Richard is fantastic and had treated another horse of mine in the past, I have full confidence in him and feel fairly relaxed about her surgery today as I trust Richard, we are very lucky to have him here :)

kezimac

Visit site
i have already seen the website and does look really good, compared to the traditional route. Do hope it really helps - very interested to see how it goes compares to traditional route.

HarryHound

Visit site
I have nothing to comment on kissing spine but please DO NOT put your horse in foal if it has KS - firstly there is no proof that its not hereditory and secondly there is no way your horse could carry a foal and not be in pain as it the extra weight puts a lot of strain on all the bones/joints/muscles etc of the horse. I honestly cant believe a vet suggested that......

There are also a million other things to consider before putting your horse in foal, the cost, complications, is your mare good enough to breed from in the first place, can you afford to keep 2 horses, and would you have actually bred from your mare in the first place? Breeding isnt just something you do if you can't ride your horse.......

Tempi - thanks for your comments. Yes i have considered all you have mentioned and yes i can afford it, yes she has outstanding breeding and moves amazingly otherwise i wouldn't consider it. Please remember there is nothing to prove that KS is hereditary either - congenital maybe but not hereditary. And yes, a vet did, after looking at her x-rays, say it would not in his opinion be a bad option and that some horses even come back better after all that time off. She is only 4. She is too good to PTS. I am extensively researching all options not just 'putting a mare that i can't ride in foal'.

Welsh-Mare. Good luck. Richard has been most helpful each time i have spoken with him. I really think if i go the surgical option then his is the route i will take. From everything i have read on the subject, and believe me i've done nothing but read up on it since finding out about my mares KS, the rehab is a lot of the key to success. I'll be interested to hear what rehab programme he gives you. Once again - good luck.