Kissing Spine

SarahNZ

Visit site
Several months ago I sold a horse in Europe, and just this morning his new owner has come back to me saying they want to bring him back, because he has 'Kissing Spine'.

He apparently became difficult to ride and so their vet took x-rays of his back and neck and has diagnosed him with this.

Has anyone had experience of this condition? What are the options of treatment?
I am in the unfortunate position of being a foreign rider, and don't have my own land, and this is not going to be an easy thing to deal with, as I'm not sure I can rehome him. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
frown.gif

Sarah

seabiscuit

Visit site
Gracious, do you really have to take him back, it was sold several months ago! Do NOT do it- it is not your problem!

SarahNZ

Visit site
He was sold through a sales stable in Germany, and he was vetted at that time. As far as I am aware they didn't have any issues like that with him.

However the guy who sold him for me has said that it doesn't look good, and that they can return him up to 6 months after the sale! He has asked their vet to send the xrays to his vet to get a 2nd opinion.

I'm not up to play with European laws, so have no real idea. It's about £12k worth, so a huge amount of money for me to lose, least of all have the horse back and not be able to afford to keep him!

seabiscuit

Visit site
This sounds unreal. They could have done anything to the horse. They can either have K.S from birth, and it comes out when you start working them hard, or , very significantly in your case, they can develope K.S from bad shoeing, bad saddles, and bad riding. God only knows!

I would check out the legalities of the whole situation VERY carefully before agreeing to anything, do not take the horse back until youve checked out every legal angle.

If you do take him back, would suggest you refer the horse to Willselely equine vets in Gloucestshire- best vets in the country, if not Europe, for dealing with and treating K.S

SarahNZ

Visit site
Hi O_B thanks for the comments. Yes I'm going to go through it all with a fine tooth comb and see where I stand. I may actually get the vet over there to send the xrays to the Sven Kold at the practise you mentioned for a 3rd opinion!

Have you had personal experiences with KS?

*sigh* what a stress out!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Yes, I had a horse operated on by Svend at Willesley , to correct K.S and his feet were also done by the farrier there as they had been poorly shod which had not helped his condition. The rehabiliation was a lot of hard work to get his exercises done, and also a lot of money spent on physio therapy and H wave therapy etc. Not to mention trying to find made-to measure saddles that he was happy to go in. The after-care requires a lot of dedication. But He was fantastic in the end, superb, won dressage and SJ etc.
Then tried to sell him ( as I wanted to event and he had always been too much of a chicken with ditches and funny light ) and it was v. difficult to sell him, because they are un-insurable as the back , and therefore the legs will be excluded on the insurance.

Lynz25

Visit site
Hands up!!!

Mines got KS. He was operated on in Nov 08 - was reviewed in Feb with new x-rays all looking good. Rehab involves lunging and I'm just about to start riding him hopefully this weekend. We have had 1 session of physio and I'm now continuing with his treqtment.

Rollin

Visit site
I am interested in German regulations. I am told that in France a purchaser has two years to return a horse!!! I know of someone who got caught up in this. Of course a lot can be done to a horse in two years.

Good luck.

SarahNZ

Visit site
Thanks O_B would appreciate it.
Rollin can you give me a bit of information about what happened with the person you know?

Thanks guys. This is bloody stressful! All my life savings down the tube!! Eeeeek!

SarahNZ

Visit site
Damn looks like I'm going to have to take the horse back and refund the money. Unfortunately I can't afford to treat the horse, so does anyone have any ideas what i can do with him? Any one know of a loving home I can give him to? He would be absolutely perfect for inhand classes or something of that nature, and can still be ridden... obviously not hard or not much

I want to do the best for him and if I could afford the surgery, wouldn't hesitate. Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks.
Zwie

Visit site
Hello Zwie

I had a horse with KS but had lots of problems and she was dangerous to ride, couldn't be used as a companion as she was way too TB, you could even see her problems in walk with no rider on at all............... However, back you; have you considered the blood bank?

If your horse has previous form then I totally agree with the above posts that Sven Kold is the best man in the business. Also a fabulous physio called Amanda Sutton. I think you have to be totally dedicated and committed to the post op care. I have seen a super TB who went through surgery at Willesley and he's amazing and going back to competing now but as OB says, they are very difficult to sell on because of the back being uninsurable therefore all four limbs.

Be very, very careful who you pass your horse on to. There are unscrupulous types who will be happy to drug your horse up and sell it on.

Good luck with whatever you do.

x