Kissing Spines and Undiagnosed Back Problems/Performance Issues

Clarebear*

Visit site
Following! Currently I am in the early stages my 5 year old is having x rays on a week :( This is after a lump appeared on his spine a week ago. That was the only sign but now upon reflection I can see the signs of a big weak immature horse, no topline, lacking impulsion,struggles with his canter. I figured this was as he has only been out of training 5 months and back in work 3 months. But no signs of pain even now with the lump appeared.

eggs

Visit site
Very interesting thank you! Do you know the vets name by any chance? I'd like to read more on this? I think for now I'll have to stick with my instructions though!

Sorry, I can't remember his name but he is Helen Langenhangenberg's vet. He stressed the importance of correct riding to rehab a horse with kissing spine

jm2k

Visit site
Spins - Main reason i was following this is to see your development and if you happen to have your xrays of his spine to post to see?
Also to find out how much ppl are paying for bone scans and where in the UK?

Here is my story:
Also following as started my lads hopeful road to recovery last week.
My boy is a bay 7yr ex-flat racer, exceptional breeding but produced a poor horse with crap conformation (I love him more though!) and been dogged with injuries since ive had him. This year has been our fittest and healthiest but knew all along this year as much as we have done huge progress with schooling and jumping, there was something not quite 'right'.
Come the anal internet reading and researching, different instructors have all said different things and ive worked through probably all suggestions in my own mind as well: lazy, stubborn, reactive, bucking, dirty stops, genuinely wants to try, took 6mth to learn to canter in indoor school on correct leg, and just two weeks before resting him he had started to learn his own flying changes when jumping a course which was almighty progress, but still mainly struggles on a 20m circle or in school corners etc, very difficult/nigh impossible to work in outline, poor body condition esp in winter, weak top line even with 3hrs schooling and 1 hr hack a week), dislikes bit contact and finally found a myler bit a month ago he likes the best, spooky and nervous and generally lacks confidence with jumping.
He was so much a Jekyll and Hyde i never knew what i was going to get one day to the next! Moody is putting it lightly, downright aggressive at times!
Back done each year, saddle only just done, teeth done 2x this year and only now his canines started developing in summer, 2 years late which have also been blamed as his mouthing issues, BUT all seemed to link to more issues and after badgering myself and then the vet, we started xrays.
I went in last week thinking it was KS, SI, Hocks, and got the xrays on his spine at local vet. All his spine is absolutely lovely, bar the almost last 2 vertebrae which were kissing, just at the back of the saddle :(
So this was enough to send him to the equine clinic for KS investigation with the ortho surgeon.

Fast forward his flexion tests which were not that bad at all, trot up and lameness on lunge had him moving much more freely on the soft school rather than their hard school (he is also barefoot), bit of a quirky gait but acceptable, very weak behind, and even less muscle now he has been off for 3-4 weeks. Very sensitive when palpated over his loins.
So the KS top knob vet (Cotts thankfully) decided in this order of issue: Hock, stifle, SI then KS. Key the many many xrays of his hocks which did show cartilage wear on between one of the bones, so injected him with a steroid into both hocks.
He said to review this in a few weeks and then the next step would be bone scans on the stifle and SI, then finally his spine.

Also had him to Xray his hooves to evaluate them specifically due to barefoot and he had very good angle of pedal and also depth of sole, supported that barefoot was working and said he didnt think shoes would be of any benefit! Only advice was take toes a bit shorter which we were already doing - huge progress in a vet liking naked feet :D

BUT i asked him to have a quick scout at his teeth due to his canines growing down and to make sure they all ok while he was doped up etc and what did they find - only 2 fractured molars (2nd from the back) on both sides of his upper jaw!
Even more xrays and most certainly both were damaged, root has broken down and he is booked in to have them out next week (not a very pleasant looking op!)
(neither vet and dentist this year noticed the broken teeth so going to ask how long they were damaged for etc to see if this is a factor to his behaviour or riding)

Now the vet said it will be interesting to see how lame or sore his back end really is when he recovers from his teeth coming out, as the tooth pain will be hiding and masking all his others! (coming from chronic wisdom tooth pain most of the year, my back has never been so pain free!)

They are also going to scope him for ulcers as he has started dreadful stress-weaving these last few weeks when he had hardly weaved at all in ages. He lives out and would only have a slight occasional swing when he wanted to go into the field with the others, never in a trailer but for over an hour last week in trailer on three journeys he was violently weaving enough to swing the trailer!
They said the pain can cause the ulcers to redevelop so again he is in an awful circle of pain from them and his back end, plus weaving makes them both worse.

So make sure the vet covers things not necessarily the most obvious when they are being assessed and worked on.

So much support from people who have been through this type of pain and rehab with many positive results leading to happier and healthier horses, but its a long hard stressful battle to get there.
SI injections have been raved about to me by my dressage trainer who had them on her horse.