Kissing Spines

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe he is denying its existence when the evidence is so overwhelming in successful surgeries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think he is denying the existance but intrigued by the vast difference in numbers.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Sorry, I was misreading your posts! Yes, it is strange why they do not see more out there
crazy.gif

lorenababbit

Visit site
I am afraid to say that it depends what you mean by successful. if success means the horse returns to work of some kind, surgery is fairly successful but in my experience on competition horses working at a high level they havent come back as good if at all. it will be interesting to read all these papers when they are published, currently there is only opinion no hard evidence. i do believe though that a rehab programme iniated asap after surgery has the best rate of succcess as someone (seabisuit?) said.

Caritas

Visit site
If I am on the same wave length as you, I would like to say that my horse had the op back last December and is now back in work at medium level dressage and is going better than ever. Im sorry that you havent heard of much success, please tell me more!!

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
This surprises me - how many horses have you had that have gone through the surgery? The majority of horses that were operated on at the hospital that I was at were competition horses and at the 12 month check nearly all had returned to at least the same level they were at before the surgery and the majority had gone on to perform better than they ever could before the op.

BethH

Visit site
I am surprised about lack of sucess too, my boy has never been able to use his back end properly and is now working at half the speed and covering double the distance. His ability to move is taking some getting used to, he has muscle where he was never able to develop it before, he can do a 6-8m circle beautifully rounded in trot on a good day and that is just having been back in ridden work for 2 1/2 months, that seems sucessful to me, although I appreciate I am not a competition rider and own my horse for pleasure. I am actually starting to think he has potential though.

A lot of people have previously thought competition horses are prone as they are overworked young, my horse was just backed and struggling as a 4 year old, he has never been over ridden quite the reverse, his work was minimal and he was struggling to cope with being ridden for 3 days in a row despite not being worked for much more than 20 mins, he is also long in the back, my vets have said they feel it is genetic in his case.

My idea of success is any improvement, certainly I feel very sad when I hear of good horses PTS because there owners are misinformed about their chances, in Svend Kold's case, he is analysing his last 100 ops and I will be interested to see his results, I couldn't agree more about his attitude to getting the horses moving post op, I was long-reining my horse 6 weeks after the op and he dealt with it all really well, we are by no means at the end of his rehab and have some bad weeks but he is a much happier horse.

appennea

Visit site
Svend did me to! Seven weeks now and a much happier horse. She only had one out and hers was caused by being worked too hard by previous owner whilst too young to cope. Bone plate went into overdrive. Could see on xray where new bone had been laid done and was rubbing. Fingers crossed now that the new attitude continues when back in ridden work - 5 weeks and counting.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
In TB's incidence of kissing spines is over 80% so this is why a lot of people with ex-racers have heard of it. My friends horse had the op and is fine now, just a little lump on his back but no ill effects and he is going really well now, also another friends horse was doing 1.50 tracks after his op and recovery so not the doom and gloom prognosis it used to be - one was done at walmsley's and the other at o'gorman, slater and main in Newbury.

sevenoceans

Visit site
80%?? WOW that is a seriously high figure. Is that mostly flat racers or jumpers do you know? If it does turn out to be flat racers mostly...they really should ban flat racing for 2 and 3 year olds. The damage is inevitable....Grrr makes me SO MAD!!
(from seabsicuit!)

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
In TB's incidence of kissing spines is over 80% so this is why a lot of people with ex-racers have heard of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too would be interested if it is over the fences - we have a lot of flat racing out here, and the surgeon I was speaking to, does an awful lot of high profile horses.

BethH

Visit site
Mine is a 3/4 connemara and 1/4 TB but agree with tarquin think is most common in TB's therefore typically mine must have picked it up from the 25% TB inherited from his mother!

I am not a big racing fan I feel the horses are so overused, I couldn't bring myself to even think about the impact of a 2year old doing that level of work. I have been told connemara's don't stop growing until they are 7 or 8, mine is still changing build and still growing as a 7 year old - I had hoped he would be a nice 15.1hh but is over 16hh now (I wish he would stop growing!) how on earth can a 2 year old not suffer from being ridden at that age - it shouldn't be allowed.