Knee boot recommendations please

Maxidoodle

Visit site
I realise this has been done to death but I’ve read through threads and still can’t decide. I’ve got a pair of lovely leather knee boots (traditional sort), they were from a saddler and are very good quality, the issue I have is they just will not stay up, they work their way down my mare’s tree trunk legs, no matter how tight they are. I stupidly sold a new pair of Jeffries skeleton boots before I got her but I just can’t justify buying another new pair. I don’t want to get anything with neoprene, especially incorporating brushing boots, as she has heavy feather and she has hated a neoprene girth and a saddle pad with neoprene (both made her very hot and had hives). What other options are there? The woof wear ones look a bit space age but I can’t seem to find many reviews on them. I just need a pair that will stay up.

I’m using them as our road has a new road surface on it and it can be a bit slippy in places in the wet (the top surface seems to be wearing off a bit and getting better thank goodness).

TIA

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Gibsons Ascot leather knee boots. I’ve never had them fall down but obviously leather stretches so they need looking after and tightening if required. They are £52 but Gibsons have a 10% sale on at the moment.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
Gibsons Ascot leather knee boots. I’ve never had them fall down but obviously leather stretches so they need looking after and tightening if required. They are £52 but Gibsons have a 10% sale on at the moment.
The Gibsons Ascot boots are actually the boots I currently have, lovely quality boots but just don’t seem to work on my mare. I put them on yesterday on the next hole along (and couldn’t even get my finger in and they still slipped).

Maxidoodle

Visit site
I used the woof ones. One did slip the first time I used them but I think if not done it up tight enough.
They seemed to do the job otherwise.
Can I ask what the top fastener is? Is it Velcro? Is it stretchy? They’re not as nice looking as traditional boots but they might be a better fit, especially as they describe them as having a non slip top band.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
The Gibsons Ascot boots are actually the boots I currently have, lovely quality boots but just don’t seem to work on my mare. I put them on yesterday on the next hole along (and couldn’t even get my finger in and they still slipped).

That’s a nuisance. I’ve just had a look at the price of the Jeffries ones 😱 the Woof ones look good value for money by comparison.

Birker2020

Visit site
For me there is only one boot on the market that 'does what it says on the tin' to quote a famous expression. And that's Westropp.

They never slip, you can canter and jump in them, so are great for fun rides where you can canter and jump but that also involve roads or lanes and I hacked all my horses out in them.
In fact if it wasn't for me putting Bailey in these boots when I first had her in 2004 she wouldn't have lived 24 glorious years as she was kicked out on a hack, the boot saved her knee from shattering but had a lovely cut in the knee pad and she had a slight bloody graze. I'd only had her about two weeks, had arranged to go out in the trailer and met my friend on a layby and we went hacking, her friend on a pony stopped dead with no warning, as we were cantering across a stubble field and Bailey ran straight into him.

I bought a new pair about six weeks ago for my new horse (whenever I get it - I have a wardrobe full of new stuff for it now). :D They tend to mould to the horses leg after a few weeks or repeated wear.

1710940778875.png

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Can I ask what the top fastener is? Is it Velcro? Is it stretchy? They’re not as nice looking as traditional boots but they might be a better fit, especially as they describe them as having a non slip top band.
As far as I can remember yes it’s stretchy somehow, I’d under tightened as the horse had never worn them before and I wasn’t sure if he’d react, the top band is really soft and comfortable feeling so he actually didn’t care anyway.
I honestly can’t think of it’s just a Velcro fastening or something a bit more substantial.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
As far as I can remember yes it’s stretchy somehow, I’d under tightened as the horse had never worn them before and I wasn’t sure if he’d react, the top band is really soft and comfortable feeling so he actually didn’t care anyway.
I honestly can’t think of it’s just a Velcro fastening or something a bit more substantial.
Thanks, I’ll see if one of the stores can send me a pic of the back and tell me what the rear is. The top band looks really grippy, so that might work better on her tree trunk legs.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
For me there is only one boot on the market that 'does what it says on the tin' to quote a famous expression. And that's Westropp.

They never slip, you can canter and jump in them, so are great for fun rides where you can canter and jump but that also involve roads or lanes and I hacked all my horses out in them.
In fact if it wasn't for me putting Bailey in these boots when I first had her in 2004 she wouldn't have lived 24 glorious years as she was kicked out on a hack, the boot saved her knee from shattering but had a lovely cut in the knee pad and she had a slight bloody graze. I'd only had her about two weeks, had arranged to go out in the trailer and met my friend on a layby and we went hacking, her friend on a pony stopped dead with no warning, as we were cantering across a stubble field and Bailey ran straight into him.

I bought a new pair about six weeks ago for my new horse (whenever I get it - I have a wardrobe full of new stuff for it now). :D They tend to mould to the horses leg after a few weeks or repeated wear.

View attachment 136070
Thanks, unfortunately no good for me, my mare has a lot of feather and doesn’t cope with neoprene, fantastic that they saved your horse, I’ve heard a lot of good reports of them in the past, they do always remind me of a pair of over the knee boots that I had in the 1980s that I used to wear for clubbing 😂, the top bit always drove me mad when I walked and it slapped my knees 😂

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I only use the Jeffries and old travel ones, I hate the combined brushing and knee, and don't like plastic ones. I think you need to try people to find which stay on.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
Jeffries every time! They may be expensive but they will protect your horse.
I would also have a word with your Highways Department because if the surface is slippery then the contractors have not laid it down safely.
Unfortunately way out of my price range, I agree they’re really nice.

Maxidoodle

Visit site
I only use the Jeffries and old travel ones, I hate the combined brushing and knee, and don't like plastic ones. I think you need to try people to find which stay on.
That’s my only reservation with the woof wear ones, they’re a bit too plastic but I’m struggling. I may have to be a crazy woman and start stopping random people hacking if anyone has knee boots on 😂.

Nasicus

Visit site
These? I always got on well with these and they were cheap: