Knee boots....

L&M

Visit site
My lad came down on the road the other day and is now sporting a lovely pair of 'broken knees'. A bird flew out in front of his nose, he spooked, then tripped and proceeded to power slide on his knees along a 2ft section of gravel. Cue a vets visit, several days box rest, but hopefully no long term lasting damage.

Although he does not have a history of tripping, he did the same (less dramatically thank god), a few years ago when a dog leapt up at a fence as we were hacking past, so have decided to invest in set of knee boots, and use them at all times.

Having done some research, knee boots seem relatively out of fashion, and either hugely expensive ones or the polo type. So any other thoughts/recommendations? We do trail hunt in winter, and that can also involve some road work, but also jumping, so must be flexible enough to jump in, but still have the protection is he ever went down on his knees again.

Thanks for reading.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have always used them, and recommend full leather ones. Keep them soft and supple and the will last for years. I use Jeffries, same as the picture below, and one set would be 30 years old now, still in use daily.
1558197864956.png

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Ouch, I have one who trips over blades of grass and skinned knees are not nice to deal with. I use Gibsons Saddlery kneeboots. Great quality and cost much less than Jeffries with very prompt delivery. Mine get used every time I ride, have never fallen down round his ankles and they get scrubbed clean, dressed with leather cream and look like new after 4 years of constant use. Thoroughly recommend them and they do protect his knees.

Reactions: L&M

Otherwise

Visit site
Jeffries are the best, expensive brand new but I bought a pair secondhand on eBay for £30 or so. For jumping I was always told to use ones with the elastic sides and no bottom strap but I think there is too much risk they'd fly up at the wrong time and then they'd be useless.

HappyHollyDays

Visit site
Jeffries are the best, expensive brand new but I bought a pair secondhand on eBay for £30 or so. For jumping I was always told to use ones with the elastic sides and no bottom strap but I think there is too much risk they'd fly up at the wrong time and then they'd be useless.

The ones with no bottom strap are useless as they can flip up leaving the knees exposed. Personally I would never use them.

paddy555

Visit site
Ouch, I have one who trips over blades of grass and skinned knees are not nice to deal with. I use Gibsons Saddlery kneeboots. Great quality and cost much less than Jeffries with very prompt delivery. Mine get used every time I ride, have never fallen down round his ankles and they get scrubbed clean, dressed with leather cream and look like new after 4 years of constant use. Thoroughly recommend them and they do protect his knees.

when I asked this question a few weeks ago, someone, maybe you, suggested the ascot ones that Gibsons sell £41.5. I got them, they are on my 4yo daily and they are really good. Good value, stay put. Very pleased with them and grateful to whoever suggested them.
I am surrounded by open common and my youngster being led out in hand took off the other day and got loose when a feral herd of 20 ponies and a stallion charged past him. He ran round quite a lot and the knee boots stayed put beautifully. They could not have had a better test than that. I would now trust them anywhere riding.

Auslander

Visit site
I use Westropp knee brushing boots, and really like them. They take a bit of getting used to in terms of fitting them, but once you have the knack, they're great. They protect the knee really well, and there's no attachment round the knee jjoint, so no reason not to jump in them.
31945557_10157004455180730_8750606526814617600_n.jpg

L&M

Visit site
That's great, many thanks.

Can't find any second hand Jeffries ones in his size, but would stretch to new ones if no other alternative.

Will check out the Gibsons.

Have considered the Westropp - look fab for protection but with the extra length of brushing boot, my only concern would be getting mud trapped in them when hunting......

HappyHollyDays

Visit site
when I asked this question a few weeks ago, someone, maybe you, suggested the ascot ones that Gibsons sell £41.5. I got them, they are on my 4yo daily and they are really good. Good value, stay put. Very pleased with them and grateful to whoever suggested them.
I am surrounded by open common and my youngster being led out in hand took off the other day and got loose when a feral herd of 20 ponies and a stallion charged past him. He ran round quite a lot and the knee boots stayed put beautifully. They could not have had a better test than that. I would now trust them anywhere riding.

Quite possibly me 😁 I know other people on here have bought them after my recommendation and been pleased. Really glad your boy was ok and the boots did their job.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I have Jeffries ones on for all road work. I have had them end up round the ankles after a canter/gallop up the stubble though! But I had the bottom strap too tight and she has a high, round action in front so they just worked their way off. I now do the bottom strap on the very loosest hole. We had a teeny canter the other day and they stayed put. I would probably try the Westropp again for faster, jumpier stuff but the first time I tried them one of them spun round and wrinkled up. I don't think I did them up tightly enough.

So yeah. Have had some difficulties but suspect user error in both cases. But wouldn't go out without them, at least on the roads. Myself and my husband are literally the only people I know or have known on any of the yards we have been on in real life who use them though.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I use Roma ones - I don’t think they are made anymore so eBay is v useful. I won’t hack without knee boots and can’t believe I’m in the minority.

Custard Cream

Visit site
This thread has made me purchase some.

Back in the 90s we wore knee boots every time we rode. We were a therapy yard and the amount of knee injuries we had in was awful.

They went out of fashion, let’s bring them back!

buddylove

Visit site
Ordered a pair from Gibson's, they look smart and are a good price.
My MIL insists on knee boots when on the road from years of riding show horses, she cannot understand why anyone would hack without them!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
People get confused by them. "Oh. Does she trip?" (In slightly disgusted/disappointed/sympathetic tone). Then when I say she hasn't tripped yet they just look at me funny. It was my husband who started me with them. His old boy hurt his knees after a random spook and slip and ever since then all ours wear them. But I've literally never seen another horse with them on!

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I use Westropp knee brushing boots, and really like them. They take a bit of getting used to in terms of fitting them, but once you have the knack, they're great. They protect the knee really well, and there's no attachment round the knee jjoint, so no reason not to jump in them.

Another vote for these fit them properly and they stay on brilliantly. I have used them on fun rides, through water etc.

Our pony is not trippy but I insist on them for roadwork, just in case

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
Can anyone point me to a size chart for the Jeffries knee boots please? Not sure if my boy would need cob or full...

Kat

Visit site
I use the westropp knee brushing boots for any roadwork and hunting (we hunt in stone wall country so knee boots are essential).20171212_213200.png They are fab, last ages, cheap to replace, provide lots of protection and don't fall down.

I have done river crossings and deep mud in them. My mare is very thin skinned and they have never caused a rub.

My mare has come down in them twice, once due to the very slippery surface and once when the farrier changed her shoes significantly and she tripped. Neither time did she injure her knees though I did need to replace the boots afterwards.

I even use them for travelling instead of travel boots!

Here we are modelling them out hunting.

AFB

Visit site
I love the Westropp/Shires knee boots but not for jumping - if they get it seriously wrong there's nothing to hold the top of the boot up so it can flip back and expose the knee.

If it was me I'd have a pair of them for hacking and a separate pair of traditional knee boots for hunting.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
These are what i use. Never hack out without them on. But i thought they had been discontinued now?

Kat

Visit site
No, shires have stopped their collaboration with Westropp. They have been telling people that they are discontinued but you can still buy direct from Westropp

https://www.westropphorseboots.com/product-page/knee-brushing-boots

I jump in them, and think for the jumping I do they are safer than traditional knee boots but if you are jumping very big stuff I can see why you might be concerned about the risk of things injuring the horse above the boot, although I think that is less likely than a traditional knee boot flipping up or slipping down below the knee.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
No, shires have stopped their collaboration with Westropp. They have been telling people that they are discontinued but you can still buy direct from Westropp

https://www.westropphorseboots.com/product-page/knee-brushing-boots

I jump in them, and think for the jumping I do they are safer than traditional knee boots but if you are jumping very big stuff I can see why you might be concerned about the risk of things injuring the horse above the boot, although I think that is less likely than a traditional knee boot flipping up or slipping down below the knee.
Kat you are a superstar, I will buy some new ones. My current ones are around 15 years old and I've just done a quick calculation that I've applied them to my horse and ridden with them approx. 2,000 times now, the Velcro straps are as good now as they were on day one and they are immaculate, if a little worn around the edges!!! 2,000 hacks and still going strong - speaks for itself. Well worth the money. But must get a spare pair for the day they eventually die on me!

HLOEquestrian

Visit site
Oh that sounds scary :(

I always hack in knee boots and use the neoprene Shires / Westropp ones (not the incorporated brushing boot ones as pictured above)

pansymouse

Visit site
I always use the Jefferies ones after a bad broken knees accident over 25 years ago (knee bones exposed on both legs, six months 24/7 box rest). I can do everything including jumping and galloping in them. Personally I don't like the Westropp ones - I think they look cheap and ugly.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I always use the Jefferies ones after a bad broken knees accident over 25 years ago (knee bones exposed on both legs, six months 24/7 box rest). I can do everything including jumping and galloping in them. Personally I don't like the Westropp ones - I think they look cheap and ugly.
Probably but imho they are safer as they can't slip and they also cover the whole leg too negating the need for brushing boots.