Knee support for riding

naza

Visit site
After recommendations for knee supports to ride in, I have one from boots which works as general support for yard duties but is too bulky to ride in.
I suffered a ski accident 3/4 weeks ago now and although it in general is so much better I feel like I still need something to help when I ride, it's not so much pressure from standing in my stirrups for trotting etc it's when I have to put my leg around the horse more for upward transitions , I guess it's where I've now strengthened the knee with bending and straightening when walking but riding requires different things- so maybe exercises for my knee and knee supports for riding please xD

LadyLexicon

Visit site
I have a knee injury and found the only one that supports me is the one from boots that has two metal rods that go down the side, like you, i struggle with putting weight through the knee in certain positions, and although its bulky i wouldnt ride without it!

william95

Visit site
I have a knee injury and found the only one that supports me is the one from boots that has two metal rods that go down the side, like you, i struggle with putting weight through the knee in certain positions, and although its bulky i wouldnt ride without it!
I have one like this except mine also has a "cradle" to sit underneath the knee cap so I find it keeps the whole joint very stable whilst still allowing movement for riding. It's neoprene with Velcro fittings so can easily go over riding boots etc. It's a weightlifters one and I bought it from Argos.

pennandh

Visit site
When riding astride, I usually use my Professional's Choice one - it was a bit pricey, but it's comfy and secure, and easy to use. Neoprene with flexible metal shims/rods down the sides and velcro fastenings; not too bulky as these things go, as it's mostly single-layer with reinforcement around the patella for stability (most of the bulk is on the front of your knee where it doesn't get in the way.

Also find that weight distribution through my dodgy leg works better if I use a 'hacking leg' rather than a 'dressage leg' (think 1930s equestrian art - the heel is still below the hip, but lines up with the front of the joint instead of the centre, giving the lower leg a more upright aspect). It may not be considered quite proper by some more dressage-y folks, but it works, and has the added benefit of keeping you in the saddle more efficiently in case of hijinks, because it's essentially a slightly refined version of the defensive seat used for XC.