Knee support recommendations?

BrightonBrass

Visit site
My 55-year-old knees are suffering a bit after rides and I'm thinking of trying some kind of support to see if it alleviates it.

I feel it mostly at the front, just under the patella. No history of injury or instability - just tendons getting old, I suspect.

Anyone with similar issues tried knee support products with any success?

k1994

Visit site
Used to get really bad knee pain after riding, switched to better stirrups with more support and completely fixed it, though whenever I ride in normal irons It comes back, stirrups really do make a difference!

lynz88

Visit site
Physio or chiro can be miracles. I saw my horse's chiro for a stuck SI and tennis elbow. The pain relief and ability to move (eventually) was amazing after the first session but am back to being a bit stuck in my SI again after my second session (am aware it can take trial and error to see what works on the body as everyone is different).

I would also suggest to check your saddle. Some saddles will jam you into a particular position which will make joints ache. Years ago I rode in a saddle that did just that to my knee

Cowpony

Visit site
I second the comment on stirrups. Get yourself some good shock absorbing stirrups as well as seeing a physio

k1994

Visit site
Sounds hopeful - any recommendations?

I got the shires compositi reflex stirrups first which helped and are inexpensive.

then treated myself to acavallo safety stirrups for Christmas which are lovely, both had the exact same affect and got rid of my knee pain, so might be worth trying the shires ones (think I got mine for £17) to see if stirrups do help you before spending too much!

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Used to get really bad knee pain after riding, switched to better stirrups with more support and completely fixed it, though whenever I ride in normal irons It comes back, stirrups really do make a difference!
I bought flex ons and the difference is night and day ?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Take your own leathers/stirrups. They are generally easy to take off/put on, so worthwhile.

The KT tape looks interesting but fiddly-I assume that it’s applied just before sport? I was debating horse bandages for mine (not the massive fleecy ones) so I can leave it on for most of the day. I need something more solid than a crepe bandage.

Edit: I’ve just bought an elastic aged tail bandage. I’m now cursing giving away everything when I lost the horse.?

Last edited:

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Take your own leathers/stirrups. They are generally easy to take off/put on, so worthwhile.

The KT tape looks interesting but fiddly-I assume that it’s applied just before sport? I was debating horse bandages for mine (not the massive fleecy ones) so I can leave it on for most of the day. I need something more solid than a crepe bandage.

Edit: I’ve just bought an elastic aged tail bandage. I’m now cursing giving away everything when I lost the horse.?
KT tape is great, I taped my mcl every day for weeks

Britestar

Visit site

I tape up and leave it on. I try and have a day off it a week if I'm not going to ride.
Earlier in the year Ihad it on for months without a break. Not ideal but it's doing the job.

J&S

Visit site
You can get a small strap with a magnet in it. I injured my knee and got bursitis and cellulitis and when it plays up i use this little strap.

My OH has weak knees and it is hampering him getting to walk again after being diagnosed with Transverse myalitis. His physio says most knee supports do nothing but keep your knees warm!