knock on effects

JessPickle

Visit site
Most of you probably heard the story of the girl who sued and got 2.2mil after being kicked, well now my riding schools insurers want us to wear hats leading horses whatver we do, whether leading to the field going to catch leading horses into lessons, I think it goes a bit far and its going to be very difficult to get into the habit for me! what do you think?

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
I can't see any harm wearing a hat at a riding school, but this country is becoming a nanny state (IMO)

What people have to remember is they ARE working around horses, they are living breathing creatures with their own minds and if they are going to kick,bite or bolt etc then they will, weather a hat will "ease" the impact or not

JessPickle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I can't see any harm wearing a hat at a riding school, but this country is becoming a nanny state (IMO)

What people have to remember is they ARE working around horses, they are living breathing creatures with their own minds and if they are going to kick,bite or bolt etc then they will, weather a hat will "ease" the impact or not

[/ QUOTE ]

that is my opinion to, I think if you work with horses you have to realise it is a risk sport horses are never going to be predictable!

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
as I say if its going to happen its going to happen ....wearing hats won't do any harm though.

watch out you'll all be in steel toe capped boots next
wink.gif

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
I think that before ANYONE is permitted into a stables they should have to have an orientation and sign a disclaimer saying that they agree to abide my certain rules, thay understand the risks etc!

And common sence should play a lot in it. I mean how do we know that girl didnt go into the field with a pocket full of horse treats?? Now that would get the others worked up.

kayleigh_and_rocky

www.kayleigh-nicholls.piczo.com
Yeh well said, when someone attends a riding school they should sign a disclaimer, horses are unpredictable creatures

However i always recommend wearing a hat at all times with horses you dont know or with more than one horse (for example in a field) just coz you cant predict what will happen.

Nanny state...glad someone said it!

peterthepony

www.bebo.com
TBPH i dont see a problem with wearing hats when handling horses, we have to do it all the time at college and its so much safer even if you do know the horses inside out, they are unpredictable animals and one strike can kill you.

I know some people think oh yes i don't need to wear a hat ive been round horses all my life, but that does NOT change how a horse is going to be with you, so yes i think its a good idea they have brought this in and think maybe it should have been brought in a bit earlier aswell!

xx

teapot

Visit site
When I was working at the yard, the working liveries who were under 14 had to wear a hat and gloves to turn out/bring in.

Helpers/assistants wise - the youngest was 15 anyway.

I think it's envitable really and especially in the health & safety culture that we live in

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Was there not a VERY experienced girl who was actually killed by being kicked earlier this year when she was just clipping her horse? Even the mundane things are dangerous! I will say that only once have I wished I was wearing a hat when handing B, and that was clipping him when people decided to start mixing feed and he went up on me when I was down doing his legs!

I must say that in the winter I prefer wearing my hat as it is cosy - and I have one for riding in and one for lunging in (both same standard). Mainly as I dont think wearing the same hat every day is very hygenic (im a clean freak!)

And when I was working with horses - youngsters and stallions - only once was I ever TOLD to wear a hat (I admit I didnt most of the time) and that was when 2 of us had to lead a particularly 'outgoing' stallion to the upper stables a mile up the road(Each of us complete with Lunge whip and ropes on Bit AND headcollar).
I used to go in with 3rd olds that had just been in off the field for the 1st time in 2 years to let them get used to peope again, and i have memories of hanging from the headcollars of horses as we would try and bathe them for sales - never wearing a hat!
I do miss the years when we weren't all sue sue sue, but then we were also taught better horse skills(I know kids who after EIGHT years at a riding school still cannot groom properly and do not know how to muck out!!)

miller

Visit site
The yard involved in the 2.1m settlement has a rule now to state "under 16's must wear a hat whilst catching horses" basically only in the field.

My last yard had a rule to state "hats must be worn at all times whilst clipping, even if helping" after an accident there.

Not sure that they can enforce it over 16, but clipping yard does.

Thing is as more and more people sue for slightly different accidents, yard will insist on hat wear for each bleeding accident!

So glad I've got mine at home now!