Knowledge needed please

miss_bird

Visit site
Ok i have a thin skinned tb that got dreadful rain scald in the summer, so got it all cleared up (so i thought) yesterday took rug off to change it and it is back with a fighting vengance.
So my prob is how do i attempt to clear it up when
a) she dont do stables, it is like the wall of death when she is in just sins and runs at the door so that is a no no
b) cant keep bathing her in this weather
c) dont really want to take her rug off (i know its the best thing to do) but she is a thin skinned horse who is doing ok but not over weight and dont want her to be rugless in this weather.
So all you knowledgeable people what advise do you have please, as i know there are many of you that would of dealth with this prob before and found a solution.
Thank you
sorry no drink or cupcakes, i need advise not you lot scoffing and drinking

only_me

Visit site
Put a cotton sheet underneath her rugs - and have 2 or three of them, and wash them every time you put oil or cream on (I would use Botanica cream), that way can try and keep it as clean as possible :)

lh1975

Visit site
Hello,
I can't see why you couldn't use a rug with green oils on her. You could also try Aromesse - they do products for horses and dogs and are very good. I use their skin cream and shampoo bar on my dog who has quite severe skin allergies and it's worked wonders. Their customer service advice team are helpful too. Take a look at www.aromesse.com and see what you think.

Nocturnal

Visit site
Keep her rugged - only_me's suggestion of a cotton sheet underneath is good (make sure to change it often, though). And keep applying an antibacterial cream. Fuciderm works well, but is percription and could get expensive if you have large areas to treat. The anti-bi's should clear it up, you just have to keep it clean until then. As you can't bathe, you could try getting some antibacterial wipes that you can just run over her to try and keep her clean.

skippyduke

Visit site
i had a viral skin infection with ring worm like circles on me (gross!!) and my doctor told me to use antidandraff shampoo as it kills the bacteria on your skin! i would clip around the area for closer application wash areas with shampoo and cotton wool it will dry very quickly when clipped then put green oils on and just wash rugs and sores often! see how it goes!

babymare

Visit site
im a firm believer of sudacream for skin problems both human and equine ( babyoil is just brilliant for sweet itch by the way used it for last 2 summers and woo hooo ) it sooths and heals but thats just my preference :)

Ali2

Visit site
My boy had a small patch earlier in the winter which I caught early. I hibiscrubbed it then slathered it in Sudocrem, cleared it up in no time.

scally

Visit site
Just a thought, check you are not overrugging, the bacteria needs a warm moist humid environment to breed, so if she is too hot in her rugs and/or getting wet under you have the ideal breeding ground. Are the rugs full neck or standard as if a standard neck when raining the rain could be blowing in underneath and causing her to be damp giving the perfect breeding ground.

It may be well worth investing in a breathable rug if you havent already got one.

Rainscald is a gram positive bacteria so you need correct abs/wipes to treat it, nettles and burdock added to the feed also help clearing up rainscald. Also spraying inside your rugs with an antibacterial spray will help as her saddle clothes (do a little skin test first though) can help prevent it coming back.

babymare

Visit site
scally ummm not up on natural remerdies but would nettles an burdock help with sweet itch - just a thought ? or any natural remerdies (garlic doesnt help with baby) you can suggest x

scally

Visit site
Babymare, Cedar Root extract is good for sweet itch - used alongside the necessary precautions, we have a welsh hill pony who suffers badly and she had no signs this year on it I did not feed nettles or burdock to her however for information nettles are good at remove toxins from the body so cant see that they wont help if they dont they certainly wont cause any harm, burdock is excellent for most skin problems and helps the body balance itself nettles you can cut and dry yourself so a cheap supplement that is worth a try.