kongs?

TurtleToo

Visit site
What do you stuff kongs with if feeding them daily and wanting them to last a while? Particularly for pups but would also be interested in adult dogs. Thanks

nativepony

Visit site
I often use peanut butter & put in freezer for a bit or I buy the box of small assorted biscuits from Sainsburys and you can stuff/wedge four or five in which takes a while to get out! Cream cheese is also good and you can freeze too.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
At the moment I am using minced heart. Also use tripe and minced chicken regularly. The chicken is the only one I would allow the dog in the house with :p
My filling for next week will be kidneys. Liver pops in quite nicely too and have also used beef chunks and chopped hearts.

DUCK complete is a good stuffer and Webbox chub rolls are a good cheapo filler.

Echo24

Visit site
Smear tiny bit of marmite or peanut butter at the bottom to keep dogs preoccupied. Or you could put some boiling water in their own feed, let it soak, mash it up and stuff it in the kong and freeze it.

A cheap toy you could use if you don't mind the noise is empty 2 litre coke bottles. Clean it out, take off the label and cap, put some dried pasta in it, bend the bottle in half so it has a crease in it and they love flinging it around and tossing it in air. Once it's trashed just give them another one :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Some of his biscuits mixed with cheese, or chopped up hot dogs, not frozen. I don't put cream cheese or peanut butter in anymore as he didn't clean them out vet well! If I'm going out in the evening I shove as much of his dinner in it as I can.

He gets a normal kong in the morning, and a kong wobbler when he's left in the afternoon after his lunchtime walk :)

supagran

Visit site
If I put biscuits in my B.Collie's kong she just crunches it and all the bits fall out - i find smearing some tinned meat round the inside of the the kong works best. Never frozen them, might try this with some of her soaked meal.

dingle12

Visit site
Anything really I freeze everything I put in it I've had - soaked dry dog food, mince, left over Sunday dinner ie veg and abit of meat, phili, cheese mash potato you name it they have had it also some tuna.

moppett

Visit site
I bought a large kong about 6 months ago SO enthusiastically and really looking forward to thinking up all sorts of things to stuff it with and how much the dog would love it. The dog is totally disinterested! She tries, but then perhaps finds it too much effort, or too difficult? and gives up.

Dizzle

Visit site
Popped into pets at home this weekend and ours has buy a Kong, get a free bag of their liver treats (worth a tenner) so I’ve been using those, I buy live yoghurt and freeze that in the bottom with bits of sausage etc, good for his belly and not too fattening and he rather likes the Kong biccies wedged in the top.

Is is sad that I compare the Kong he had as a baby to his grown up one? :D Can’t believe how big his now (although we did bump into a BT puppy 4 months younger than him that was already a tiny bit bigger!)

What sort of peanut butter do you use? Is it ok to feed it?

weevil

Visit site
Sprocket loves his kong and gets his dinner in one a few times a week (kibble mixed with salmon mousse). Other favourites are cottage cheese, sardines, tuna, peanut butter etc.
He does get frustrated halfway throught when he can't get the food out as easily (and if I put too much kibble in which is more difficult) but they keep him occupied for ages and make him work for his dinner!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I also offer at least one feed a day from the Kong (usually when I am off to work to keep him busy) and am just about to replace his two XLs, one has finally given up the ghost and has split in the middle and the other is not far behind.

liveryblues

Visit site
Planete... what dog have you got? I have 4 toy destroyers, the only toys they havent destroyed are the black kongs!
I often cut up carrots to put in them, Im a bit reluctant to put soft food in there as they dont look very easy to clean?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Mine destroys everything but the Kongs have lasted over one and a half years. One is starting to split around the middle. I had the 'dumbbell' style one with the hole at each end, but it only lasted a few months.
Re washing, I just run the hot tap on them, seems to do the job.

Twizzel

Visit site
I've bought Rosie 2 now but she keeps losing them and they are getting expensive to replace :( she does love them when she has one though. Filled hers with some offcuts of chuck steak last week, that went down very well. But then she hid it and haven't seen it since :(

planete

Visit site
He is only a medium-sized long dog Liveryblue. Saluki/greyhound x whippet. But he is a very determined chewer. He just reduces the kongs to a pile of small bits :eek:. Stag bars only for him now!