Kongs

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
After Daisy’s tooth removal yesterday I’ve been looking at dental kongs to help keep the rest of her teeth clean and healthy.

Does anyone use them, are they any good?

welshpony216

Visit site
my dog has one, and he loves it, my previous dog loved it as well. It keeps him entertained for quite awhile so I can eat my toast without being bothered.

Mynstrel

Visit site
I've started using the enzymatic toothpaste for my BC with grubby teeth and that seems to be helping, they're not as bad as they were. He eats kongs too so I don't rate them much as a toothbrush.

BBP

Visit site

PurBee

Visit site
Just make sure you go for a Kong and not a substitute version. I set my OH on a mission to buy one and he bought an alternative. It is a dental chew. Apparently it’s a rocket. But it just isn’t something you can leave lying around when visitors are coming as rubber rocket dog toys look suspiciously like other things...

https://www.amazon.com/Toothbrush-Cleaning-Interactive-Relieve-Squeaky/dp/B085RKKGFD

??. I clicked on this thread wondering what’s a kong.... ??

PurBee

Visit site
Is there an equivalent for horses to prevent rotting/cavities etc or do they not suffer as much due to being herbivores?
not that im considering brushing their teeth...or theyd let me!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Dentition is usually genetic in dogs.
Some breed standards are punitive around missing teeth for a reason.
I can remember the names of dogs from the 80s that were never bred from or had to stop showing because they had a missing P1, etc etc.
Breeds that don't 'need' to use their teeth tend to have worse dentition as a rule.
When you're breeding for other things (speed, colour, coat type) then it can fall down the list of priorities.
My own dog has had more wear and tear than most but his teeth are still pearly white and very sharp, I've known of others with similar/more/less workloads with bad plaque, teeth worn down to stumps/needing implants etc.

BBP

Visit site
I use the plaque off every day and brush about twice a week I think it helps the breath is definitely better since using plaque off.
My dog doesn’t chew at all really, including the rocket, I’m quite worried about his dental health, so I’m also using plaque off, and the little soft finger pads to rub his teeth with. (Didn’t really want to use them as don’t like disposable stuff, but he isn’t comfortable enough with the idea of a brush yet). I definitely think it’s helping too.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My dog doesn’t chew at all really, including the rocket, I’m quite worried about his dental health, so I’m also using plaque off, and the little soft finger pads to rub his teeth with. (Didn’t really want to use them as don’t like disposable stuff, but he isn’t comfortable enough with the idea of a brush yet). I definitely think it’s helping too.

I use the little rubber finger brushes as well I find them the easiest and I do use them a few times, I just wash through with hot water and there good for a few brushes.

I have started giving pigs ears which she loves and she gets the filled marrowbone which last ages, my dog quite enjoys those she is 8 so doesn't chew as much as she used to, she loved the antlers but doesn't want those now she does like a rawhide chew but there not the best things really.

{97702}

Visit site
Just make sure you go for a Kong and not a substitute version. I set my OH on a mission to buy one and he bought an alternative. It is a dental chew. Apparently it’s a rocket. But it just isn’t something you can leave lying around when visitors are coming as rubber rocket dog toys look suspiciously like other things...

https://www.amazon.com/Toothbrush-Cleaning-Interactive-Relieve-Squeaky/dp/B085RKKGFD

Wow. As a greyhound owner I’m always looking for possible plaque reduction - I admit I don’t have many visitors, but I’m not sure I wouldn’t feel slightly uncomfortable with that lying around the house ???

Mynstrel

Visit site
There are dental toys made by Kong, which is what I assumed the OP was talking about.
The first bone I ever bought my oldest dog was from Kong.

Yep, they're the ones I thought she meant - he eats these too. Tried him with a black Kong one Christmas, it had to be taken away by boxing day... I'm sure collies aren't supposed to have a jaw like a staff!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yep, they're the ones I thought she meant - he eats these too. Tried him with a black Kong one Christmas, it had to be taken away by boxing day... I'm sure collies aren't supposed to have a jaw like a staff!

Yeah the black XXL ones usually go in the middle after a few months, the normal bone took two chomps, the first one he destroyed wasn't even his lol.

Aru

Visit site
Kongs are great for many things..but I haven't found the dental ones particularly good for severe dental cases. Great for encouraging puppies to use their teeth but harder to convince adults not to just lick out sections.

Mechanical removal via brushing or encouraging the dogs natural chewing motions on a variety of objects helps...but is imperfect in small dogs unless done very frequently.

If tartar build up is an issue is consider chemical removal and prevention of bacteria build up via mouthwashes. Tartar is mounds of bacteria at the end of the day.

The likes of plaque off etc seem to help a little but my best success stories so far have been from oravet chews(if they chew them, waste of time if it's chomp chomp gone) and hexarinse- a chlorohexadine mouthwash.
I have hexarinse at home and use it less then I should but it does seem to be helping with my own dogs tartar. I run it on with a makeup wipe as mine hated the slosh it in experience.

Mouthbreahers have the worse teeth as well.