KS surgery today-what to expect recovery-wise? Pls help!

catembi

Visit site
So Trev is having 'traditional' KS surgery today, with 4 processes being removed. He is not suitable for the newer, less invasive surgery as it's progressed too far.

I am expecting (if all goes well) to go & pick him up on Mon/Tues, but what happens after that? Obviously I'll get full instructions from the vets which I will follow to the letter, but I would be grateful for any experiences re length of box rest, etc.

Success stories particularly appreciated - e.g. returns to full work/competition!

I am feeling really nervous & odd today :-/

T x

frostyfingers

Visit site
My TB had the ligament surgery this time two years ago as a last resort. He was kept in hospital for four days mainly because I didn't have access to a stable and then came home with lots of staples in his back and put into an electric fence pen about 14' x 14' in a sheltered spot in the field, with his mate next to him. He was very perky and progressed well, although he looked very poor for the first month or so - mostly, the vet thought, to having no pain for the first time in ages and he'd relaxed everything and was a bit saggy!

Rehab was fairly slow - a couple of minutes in hand in a straight line building up to 10 minutes after about a week. I kept him in his pen, although we moved it around a bit so he had fresh grass for about a month. He had a turnout rug to keep the dressing dry, and then when the staples were out until they'd healed and scabbed properly, then a fly rug after that. I have to say that keeping him in the fresh air with grass to munch and lots to see helped him mentally - do look into it if you can. After the month was up I extended the pen a little until it was double stable size.

I can't remember the exact timescale but the physio came out and gave me lots of exercises which we did religiously (much more than I would have done for myself!) and then he had a check up at the hospital before I started riding again.

He had his surgery at the end of June, he was being ridden lightly by mid September and he had his first day's hunting just before Christmas. I kept up with physio and he still has regular checks and is, 2 years on, still going well. He went back in January this year for another check up for my peace of mind and they were thrilled to see him looking so good.

Trev will obviously have a GA (mine had standing surgery), and the process is much more invasive so I imagine he'll take longer to get back to being himself. The other thing is my vet said that you have to make sure that what you do with the horse in the long term is within his capabilities. IE mine will never be up to dressage/working in an arena because of his back, but is perfectly fine for what I mainly do which is hunting and team chasing. I have no experience of the bone surgery so can't say how it will affect his long term suitability, it may not, but it is something to bear in mind.

I have to admit to being somewhat paranoid about his back - every wrong step, or refusal, or ears back moment makes me wonder if he's in pain, but as soon as I'm worried I get the physio out (she's out every 3 months anyway!) to check him over. I've had two full seasons hunting now with him which I never thought would happen, and we've even team chased so I'm thankful that we went for surgery. I know it may not go on for ever, but right now he's happy and pain free.

Sorry, that's incredibly long but hopefully will give you some reassurance - it's a lengthy old process, worrying and expensive but fingers crossed Trev will come out on top form soon!

catembi

Visit site
Apparently it's standing surgery under sedation & not GA...

Thank you for giving me some idea of the recovery process. I told the vet that we used to do affil dr & sj, & didn't seem to think there would be a problem in returning to both...

I spent last night second guessing myself, wondering if the surgery is the right thing to do...and now the vets have called to say the surgery has been deferred til tomo as an emergency came in & took his slot. The surgery is radical & I can't help but wonder if getting him 'butchered' is the right thing to do, but his xrays were pretty bad & the alternative is shuffling along as we are forever.

Arrrrggggghhh, I feel really weird about this!

T x

Charlie007

Visit site
Can't imagine what your feeling right now. There are so many success stories so there is no reason to believe that your boy won't be one of them. You are being incredibly brave and I really hope all goes well for you and your lad. Please keep us updated with his progress x

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Wishing Trev a quick and full recovery. :)

ETA - just seen your update that the surgery is now tomorrow.

I have always liked surgical fixes for things: there's a problem, an expert goes in and fixes it. I had the choice of surgery or bed rest when I broke my back, I went for the surgery and never regretted the decision as I was back up on my feet as soon as I was awake enough.

Last edited:

sarahandwilby

Visit site
I can't help on the long term plan (box rest, bringing back into work etc.) as I have only ever seen them in the hospital, and then they go home and don't come back all being well!

You are right about it being under standing sedation, normally they also get a morphine epidural for pain relief as well as 'all over' pain relief, and local anaesthetic will be injected or poured on the areas to be operated on. I've never seen any react to pain during the surgery so try not to worry about that :) It does look a bit gory mid surgery (I think it's freakier knowing that it's a spine?) but everything will be closed over afterwards.

Regarding him returning to competition etc. it may take a while for all the muscles to heal, but if you think about it, if he was competing with the pain from the kissing spine, then he should do even better with that pain now reduced. Hope it all goes well!

catembi

Visit site
If he fully recovers, I'm really excited to see what he will be able to do. He is by far & away the most athletic thing I've ever sat on - including Catembi (in avatar), my showjumper by Cruising. The last time out dr, he won his class & got the highest score of the day with 70.4%. The last jumping thing I did was the April before last - sj & xc schooling day when he'd recovered from ulcers. The jumps started at 2 ft 9 & he jumped everything he was pointed at all day, despite not that much sj experience & pretty much zero xc.

When jumping a horse that loves its job, like the late Catembi & Adrian before the EPSM took hold, I'd find that once we'd warmed up & then moved onto the bigger stuff, they'd start getting giddy, & I'd start losing my brakes because they were soooo up for it. With Trev, at the point when I'd expect him to take hold...he didn't. He was always 'polite' - never stopped, very rarely had a pole, but also never went 'wahey!' & really went bananas. I jumped him up to about 1 m 10 in lessons. So now I know why we reached a flat spot at the point when my previous horses would have kicked it up a gear.

Now I've done some more reading, I'm soooooo pleased that I listened to him & worked within what he could do. I'm reading story after story where people have accidentally damaged the pelvis & hind legs through trying to force the horse to 'work through' the blockage. We've been doing our 10 mins in walk a day for ages. I verbally ask him to trot 2 or 3 times, he does a few shuffly strides then goes back to walk & then we leave it at that & carry on walking. I'm really pleased that I didn't force him to work (he will work in a good semblance of 'properly' if forced) or listen to the people who said he was just lazy, taking the mickey etc. It seems likely that I have managed to avoid causing him other problems.

I wish it was all over!

T x

BethH

Visit site
Mine's 9yrs on from traditional surgery under GA, he's mainly schooled very classically and does dressage as he can jump but I can't! I get to enjoy his lovely personality long term - didn't think that would happen let alone the riding! I was told he was sold because he was maliciious but he is such a poppet there was clearly something wrong. Like you I have always listened to him and he always tries his absolute best to help me even when scared, I am sure that is why I still have a happy horse about to turn 16!

Rehab him slowly but surely but get him moving from day1 for a few minutes and gently increase each day. Walk in hand whilst on box rest, mine was a nutter (he is characterful!) so it was impossible, but if you can try and build up to an hour a day over 5-6 wks, then long rein (not lunge) and concentrate on building a big swinging walk getting the back end moving when you are allowed in the school. Really establish a big walk before introducing trot and finally canter and gradually increase times in each pace and speed within each pace. Put some ground poles down after a couple of weeks to help the hocks start to move a bit more and then do some cavelletti type poles with 1 on slightly raised and the next pole the opposite end slightly raised etc etc - does that make sense? Make sure you get regular body work done as you fitten him as he will be used to low level niggling pain and you want to nip that in the bud before it worries him.

Good luck, mine rehabbed amazingly, there are lots of silly stories out there but many many huge success stories - I have absolutely no regrets, my horse is still alive!!!

Last edited:

frostyfingers

Visit site
Sorry, I'd assumed they'd use a GA - much better that it's standing surgery then. Frustrating that he was put back a day, but in the scheme of things it's a tiny delay. For me it was surgery or PTS as steroids didn't work and he was in pain and miserable, the vet advised that retirement wasn't suitable as he needs as much muscle as possible and to be kept busy.

I would advise that you follow the physio & rehab regime to the letter - it's a pain doing a 5 min in hand walk and endless strengthening and stretching exercises twice daily but it really does work. When I've a moment I'll see if I can find a couple of pictures of my horse at the beginning and the end. Good luck for today - look at it as starting again, and when he's back on the road you'll feel like you have a new horse.

_GG_

Visit site
Good luck today to Trev...and you having to wait for news.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but as said above, slow and steady with the recovery, but try and keep it up religiously, they really do need it and agree with the bodywork. Good to pick up on things quickly and go for prevention over cure.

KS usually has a root cause and what you don't want to do is carry on in a way that puts that cause into effect again, so it's worth speaking to your bodyworker about stretches to prevent tightness in the neck and over the withers xx

catembi

Visit site
Thank you, FF - much appreciated!

Still waiting for a phone call, literally sitting by the phone. I don't really want to call them - I'm sure they're got enough to do without dealing with unnecessary phone calls. And if I ring & they haven't started yet, it's just going to make me worse... Aaaaarrrgghhhh....!!

T x

_GG_

Visit site
Thank you, FF - much appreciated!

Still waiting for a phone call, literally sitting by the phone. I don't really want to call them - I'm sure they're got enough to do without dealing with unnecessary phone calls. And if I ring & they haven't started yet, it's just going to make me worse... Aaaaarrrgghhhh....!!

T x

It's a horrible situation to be in. Hope you get some good news soon :) xx

Welshy

Visit site
My girl is 2 years post trad surgery. She also had it done standing under sedation as I have a massive aversion to GA's. She had a textbook recovery - box rest, walking out and then long reining, long reining, long reining. She didn't show any discomfort throughout and accepted me back on without issue (though she'd never objected to me being on board before surgery either which may have helped).

I was recommended to lunge her with a Pessoa but I didn't have anywhere suitable to lunge so I long reined her instead, making sure she worked correctly and adding in some gentle hill work.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if needed.

Hope your horse has a smooth recovery x

catembi

Visit site
Well, the vet phoned about an hour ago...to say they're doing it this afternoon! More waiting! He has decided to do the new ligament snipping surgery on the one that's not too bad, so he will he having 3 processes removed, not 4. Slightly less invasive for him.

Apparently we're looking at 2 weeks' box rest with not doing a lot, then another 2 weeks with increasing amounts of activity, then he can go out in a pen. Mine live at home, so I'm lucky that I can configure fields however I want.

Thank you for your +ve story, Welshy!

T x

frostyfingers

Visit site
Gosh how frustrating. To keep you busy here are some pics, rather a lot but I hope they help.

6 days post surgery. 23 staples.
attachment.php

21 days post surgery. 8 days after staples removed.
attachment.php

8 weeks post surgery - loss of muscle tone, poor coat and generally a bit sad!
attachment.php

16 weeks post surgery - I know it's sunny but holding himself much better and looking happier.
attachment.php

And finally if you follow this link, this is him on his 2nd day's hunting (only half days but even so) 5 weeks after the picture above.

http://www.eslphotography.co.uk/clifton_on_teme_burgess/h3f81321b#h3f81321b

catembi

Visit site
Vets have just phoned...they did exactly what they said they were going to, they've done some more xrays & are pleased with the results & he is beginning to come out of the sedation. Hurray!

I've been on edge for 2 days now, so time for a glass of wine shortly!

T x

PS thank you for the photos, FF. Wow, out hunting again! Great stuff!

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
8 am phone call from the vets this morning, so a v anxious 10 seconds...why are they calling this early...is he colicking...has he died in the night...?? No, it is just their standard procedure to scare the living daylights out of owners by giving them a worryingly early call! All is well - he is doing exactly as expected. Quite sore, but eating and pooing. Whew! Scheduled to come home on Tuesday. :)

T x

ollierdog

Visit site
Good to hear he's doing so well! I bought my horse as just gone 5 year old straight out of p2p he was terribly under weight and lacked lots of top line, we schooled him on,did a few be90 he always jumped never stopped but was always very tense and slightly bucky and cold backed, I had him x rayed, 2 vertebrae were totally fused and 3 were very close, he had the 3 removed under standing sedation, 4 weeks box rest, 6 weeks field rest, 6 weeks lunging, then back to get fit with lots and lots of hacking and hill work. From then on he got better and better 2 weeks ago he did his first 1* international event and brilliantly, he is set to go intermediate and hopefully a lot further. Having to op was a huge success and one of the best things I have done for him!

catembi

Visit site
Oh thank you Ollierdog - just what I wanted to hear! How fab that yours is doing so well! Well done for taking the trouble to get to the bottom of his issues.

I'm really hoping that, all being well, mine will crack on & be quite useful. He's always been very honest and tried his hardest for me, so when he's more comfy, maybe he'll be even better!

T x

PorkChop

Visit site
The waiting is awful, isn't it.

Had no experience of this type of surgery but all sounds really positive, sending you both a hug and hope he makes a super quick recovery x

catembi

Visit site
Quick update - just called the vets & he's continuing to make good progress & will be okay to come home tomo. Adrian (other horse) will be delighted to see his friend. Transport booked for lunchtime, so it's all happening. Can't wait to see him, altho a bit apprehensive about the enormous wound.

Once we're rehabbed, it's going to be so interesting to see how it affects all sorts of things. Obviously, I'm looking fwd to getting some forward motion out of him, but also there might be an effect on things like being a bad traveller, being a complete t*t at comps, being intermittently bad to shoe, etc. I am wondering how much erratic behaviour has been pain related? It's going to be interesting finding out! Slightly concerned that instead of not being able to get him out of walk, I'm going to end up not being able to slow him down...before I had him, he was actually quite a successful 2-miler...

T x

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
Well, he's back! Wasn't remotely pleased to see me. In fact, he turned his back on me. He has a row of staples all along his spine- thank you for the people who posted photos, so I knew what to expect!

I've got a ton of meds for him, & lots of instructions! Great to have him home, even if he hates me!

T x

_GG_

Visit site
Well, he's back! Wasn't remotely pleased to see me. In fact, he turned his back on me. He has a row of staples all along his spine- thank you for the people who posted photos, so I knew what to expect!

I've got a ton of meds for him, & lots of instructions! Great to have him home, even if he hates me!

T x

Ah, bless him. He won't hate you for long! He's probably just a bit sore from travelling.

So glad you have him home...Plenty to look forward to now :) xx

frostyfingers

Visit site
Glad he's home safe and sound - if he's anything like me he'll be much happier in his own surroundings, I hate nights away! Hopefully he's comfortable and relaxed and enjoying being spoilt. To start with I was very anxious and rang the vet as soon as anything seemed to change - bit of discharge from the wound, moving funny, looking at me funny, eating, not eating and I was on the phone!