Lab attacks kid

s4sugar

Visit site
'I didn't see what happened but Logan wasn't running or shouting and didn't do anything to provoke it."
So how does she know he didn't do anything to provoke it?

I know of instances where a child has poked a dog in the eye, slapped it or troden on it.

ladyt25

Visit site
I was going to ask whether they had asked the woman for permission to stroke the dogs first and then saw that the lab was off the lead. Hmm, odd as dogs don't tend to just attack unprovoked do they and you certainly wouldn't expect someone to have a dog off lead if it had a tendency to be reactive in a situation. Also, I would generally expect that, even if a child had provoked it they may get snapped at as a warning but you wouldn't expect those types of injuries would you? Unfortunately there's only one side of the story shown though isn't there.

A friend of mine was bitten badly by a GSD when she was very young - she had however just hit it over the head with a frying pan so it was her own (or her parent's) fault!! :)

Clodagh

Visit site
Awful. I do think it should be PTS though, that was way more than a warning snap. Even if the boy had done something to it that was too much.

s4sugar

Visit site
Was it way more than a warning snap? I see only one or two bite marks & little ripping.
It was maybe the child being an unfortunate height and who knows? Did the child fall on the dog?

It appears the child was not being adequately supervised and the statement says the dog let go without intervention.

JingleTingle

Visit site
Horrific attack whatever the wrongs and rights of it. Hope the little boy recovers and isnt left too badly scarred and traumatized.

I do dislike these assumptions one reads about the likelihood of one breed to do this and the unlikely chance of another breed doing it, and the assumption that the child 'must' have done something to warrant the attack.

When my first child was 18 months old we owned a beautiful black Labrador bitch that we had owned for 6 years prior to my sons birth. I was standing in the living room and my son was standing on the sofa watching a programme on television. The dog was lying on the floor about 7 feet away from the sofa. Suddenly she leapt up and flew across to the sofa and jumped up and bit my son on the side of his head. Had I not witnessed the totally unprovoked attack I would have assumed he MUST have done something to enrage the dog.

Luckily my son was not badly injured and only has a faint scar. Yes I did keep the dog, but she was muzzled from the moment my son got up in the morning until the moment he went to sleep. The dog got very used to this and was quite happy and I was happy with our decision to do this.

I think we have to accept that there isnt a single breed of dog that we can safely trust with young children, my labrador had spent 18 months showing no sign of jealousy or aggression but the worst still happened.

howsthat

Visit site
Very sad for the child i hope he makes a full recovery,but why didn't his mother supervise more carefully,and it is "thought" to be a Labrador so it could be any sort of crossbreed?

galaxy

Visit site
I would never let any child handle a dog alone. My mum brought my nephews over yesterday. Harley is fab with children, but at one point I was in the kitchen doing some cooking with the 3 year old, when my Mum who had been in the sitting room with the 1 yr old and Harley came and started doing dishes. I immediately called Harley into the kitchen as even though he had been lieing on his bed I would never take that risk! My mum was suprised and made out I was being over cautious, but I don't care.

My friends "family Gold Retriever" bit my arm badly last year when I was only holding his collar. Apparently he snarls at them at home if he gets to the cat food and they try and pull him off. I asked what they did about it and was told nothing. Now that is a dog I would not trust around children and yet they have an 8 yr old in the house who has friends over etc and I'm sure are allowed to "play with him" unsupervised".... hmmm.....

janeprince

Visit site
I'm sorry but I do not like the way that the thread was started with the title Lab attacks kid. It is suggestive that this happened recently

Then in your only comments on the article failing to mention that this was old news, it is not showing on the front page of the Mail site so I can only presume you trawled through the google archives to find it.

Surely if you want to make a point that any dog can attack - which I happen to agree with- you should state the source, so it does not look like another fresh case.

Kellys Heroes

Visit site
I can't understand why she wasn't supervising her son around dogs anyway.
She bent down to stroke the puppy - where was he?
And is it not possible that the lab was protecting the pup?
I think in 90% of cases there is a logical reason behind these attacks. People are far too quick to shout about dangerous dogs these days - its dangerous owners that are more of a worry!!
K x

janeprince - no other thread starts with a date :s and as said by dobiegirl it is very relevant to what is being talked about currently, whether it is an old case or a new case!!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Janeprince, maybe Lady la la la was imagining people on the forum can read and therefore would read the date on the article which is as clear as day...:confused: Normally you don't need to spoon feed people here.

I think as it's a link, the source is obvious???

Lady La La

Visit site
I'm sorry

Dont be...

but I do not like the way that the thread was started with the title Lab attacks kid. It is suggestive that this happened recently

How do the words "lab attacks kid" give any kind of impression of timescale? It certainly isn't 'suggestive' of any such thing...

Then in your only comments on the article failing to mention that this was old news, it is not showing on the front page of the Mail site so I can only presume you trawled through the google archives to find it.

As it happens, it was posted on a dog group on facebook earlier this morning. I don't make a habbit out of trawling through google to find articles on dogs attacking children.... Mainly, because that would be WEIRD. :rolleyes:

Surely if you want to make a point that any dog can attack - which I happen to agree with- you should state the source, so it does not look like another fresh case.

I did state the source, the Daily Mail ;)

Last edited:

CAYLA

Visit site
Janeprince, maybe Lady la la la was imagining people on the forum can read and therefore would read the date on the article which is as clear as day...:confused: Normally you don't need to spoon feed people here.

I think as it's a link, the source is obvious???

what BDC said.....not sure what the difference between how old the article is:confused: there is not time limit on "how far after the event you can post"
Anyway, the parent claims to "not know exactly what happened" kind of explains it all to me.

T-Bag

Visit site
I'm confused!!

Did the find the kid down the well in the end or not La? come on if you're going to post something, make sure you have all the facts to hand!!!!!!!! (inserts 1000 more !'s)

T-Bag

SusieT

Visit site
That's quite a nasty bite and tbh the lady is right, a dog capable of doing that to a child sholdn't be off lead near a childrens park (or off lead at all). RThat's not just a graze, that's a bite. Poor kid, he will be scarred.
We have no idea why the dog bit but ime most well balanced friendly dogs give a warning growl that in that time frame should have been noticed. It probably wasn't unprovoked but the dog probably has some history of not being a model dog.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
LOL, and yet another thread goes galloping off in a totally different direction.
By the way I did realise the point you were trying to get across re staff being mentioned when not even involved.
Saw this quote from CM earlier, so true.
" In the 70s they blamed the dobermann, in the 80s it was the German Shepherd, in the 90s the Rottweiller, now its the pitbull. When will they blame the humans?"