Labradors

pogface

Visit site
Hello!

Thinking of getting Labrador... Well in all honesty, I've already picked him.

All stories good and bad please? Positives? Negatives? Tips? Dos? Don'ts?

Thank you!

Hairy Old Cob

Visit site
All Labs are walking Dustbins
1) Black Labs most superior Gun Dogs etc.
2) Golden Labs even more prone to running to Fat Blind Dogs for the Guides or Gun Dog
3) Chocolate Labseven more prone to running to FAT Mardi Surly Fashion Statement.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
congrats! my first dog was a lab and I bought him when i was 19 and was irresponsible student:eek: He was my best friend for 15 years. Most loyal amazing boy, terribly stubborn with selective deafness and a dodgy recall:eek: greedy and would eat anything - live seagulls :eek:the contents of slopbins at back of a pub:eek: He was my first agility dog and got to the national ABC finals, where he took off mid-run, barged through 4 rows of spectators and went to the burger van:rolleyes::D He had the most amazing temperament, and was a real gent.

Make sure yours is from fully health tested parents, being KC reg is NOT enough. Make sure the parents are of a sound temperament..... there are some really nasty/unstable labs out there nowadays thanks to poor breeding.

And when you get him, post pics!! :cool:

CAYLA

Visit site
Like doing the konga and have gay tendancies esp towards their own kind (the boys):p
Happy happy, bouncy bouncy/mature slowllllllllllllllllllllly.:p
Suffer from their fair share of health problems so make sure yours is health tested to the hilt and from a good breeder:)
Need lots of stimualtion as pups, can cause a fair amount of damage to a lovely fitted kitchen if left bored all day whilst left at home;):D
Obsessed with water and generally very strong swimmers.
Greedy as hell lol

blond1

On a shooting star...reaching for the moon
Visit site
Great dogs and good choice! Mine has lots of character and is very affectionate. His intelligence is usually only used when it involves him getting food as he will eat anything. He was very easy to train and has learnt lots of tricks.
Negatives are the amount of hair he sheds - hope you like hoovering! Also my boy is nicknamed the hippodogamus as he loves wallowing in mud or water which isn't so good for the inside of my car.

CAYLA

Visit site
They like to walk around with stuff in their gobs, suppose its their trade:D and it makes them happy:D might not make you happy depending on what it is they are walking around with:D:p

weaselwords

Visit site
I have seen labs clear low coffee tables with one sweep of their mighty and perma-wagging tail. Definitely dustbins who like to carry things in their mouths too, but all the ones I've ever known have been really pleasant and straight forward dogs who just needed plenty of exercise and their waistlines watching. Good luck with your new pup! What colour is it?

alijanem

Visit site
The best dogs IMO. They do tend to be very greedy but mine is very fit and healthy - you just have to be tough. My dog is very faithful and wouldn't dream of running off. She did chew a lot when she was a puppy - my kitchen chairs and table haven't recovered and I did often think "what have i done" but I wouldn't be without her now - I love her to bits and she's very easy to look after. Have fun with your new pup when you get her/him.

Clodagh

Visit site
Best breed in the world! Clowns who are everything to the whole family. Our bitch spends the evening if she hasn't had enough exercise that day thundering up and down the stairs bringing us presents from the laundry basket, we can never find any pairs of socks! Our fault because we laugh at her. She is 4 now so hopefully will grow up soon!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
One of my best friends has their name down for a fox red Lab puppy, they are working strain as my friends husband shoots and has long been impressed by these dogs. They are all health tested with good hip and elbow scores which is paramount for this breed. They are a breed that loves to please so are usually easy to train although their hair shedding capacity would put me off:D

Pipkin

Visit site
All of the above and they shed hair like no other.

Lol my lab moults less than any of my other dogs :D

Totally agree with having all tests done, I didn't and my girl has arthritis and HD and she's not even two, I wouldn't change her for anything in the world , she's my life and the most amazing dog I've ever had.

They love socks...but only ever take one so you'll always have odd pairs

Love water! Luckily or maybe unluckily I have small lake :p

Dustbins, will eat all day if allowed. :)

vieshot

Visit site
Can't stress enough how important it is to get a puppy from health tested parents. Back when I didn't know any better, we purchased a black Labrador whose parents weren't tested. For the past nine years he has been plagued on and off with skin irritation, inflamed ears, weeping sores etc all as a result of allergies from his poor breeding. He is allergic to approximately thirty different things including the majority of grass species. He has cost thousands in vets fees over the years and no doubt they will continue to mount up.

Please please check that the pup you have your eyes on is decently bred with BOTH parents getting good health test scores etc. If they aren't tested then walk away. Spend the extra money on a responsible breeder because believe me, a badly bred dog will work out hundreds, if not thousands of pounds more expensive in the long run.

Willeeckers

Visit site
^^^:D :D

Mines 16yrs old next month and still causes as much havoc as her arthritc ol legs will allow her :)

We had 2 originally, mum and daughter (still have mum) completely different characters, daughter daft as a brush and hated being told off hence always wore her halo :D Mum on the other hand was the devil in carnate!!! Chewed everything, chair legs, clothes, live cables :eek: sussed how to work out door handles and would escape from the kitchen and cause mayhem!!! Terrible thief, stole socks, pants, anything she could manage from my brothers room but her "best" steal was somebodies swimming costume whilst they were changing on the beach :eek: :eek:

Despite all that she is/was the best dog, my best friend growing up as a teenager and when she final decides she's had enough of this world I'm going to miss her terribly

Kallibear

Visit site
Double ditto about health testing!! They are very fashioable and highly in demand so there are a a huge amount of backyard breeders out there, churing out rubbish. They have three main health issues: their joints (hips and elbows), their eyes and their skin. All is easily bred out and is essential you choose a well bred, tested lab. They're not cheap but well worth it.

We've always had labs. Easy, good natured dogs. They're very boisterous and high energy when they're young and need a LOT of walking. Very prone to chewing, esp if bored and not exercised enough. Easily trained and generally well behaved but extemely easy to spoilt and turn into a PITA. They are very greedy and are prone to getting fat so you need to be strict.

If you don't want to trampse about in all weathers (the wetter the better as far as a lab is concerned), not wanting to put much time into trainied and are a soft touch when it comes to feeding and treats, get another breed.

Our last lab was 16 when she passed away. New lab is just turned a year old and is fabulous, We had to travel 300miles to get her, waited months and paid a fortune for her though!.

The two greatest joys in a labs life:

Getting wet:

557762_10151877955025437_585632516_n.jpg

582117_10151877970055437_1730158683_n.jpg

And carrying things

426949_10151877972765437_923320060_n.jpg

Preferable combined.

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Every home needs a lab :D just make sure your carpets, furniture and clothes match your dog ;) I wouldnt be without Yellow Dog. He's loyal, cuddly, undemanding and has never been greedy in his life - in fact hes my second one and the first was good with food too :) Selective hearing on the otherhand is def a trait he has!!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
All Labs are walking Dustbins
1) Black Labs most superior Gun Dogs etc.
2) Golden Labs even more prone to running to Fat Blind Dogs for the Guides or Gun Dog
3) Chocolate Labseven more prone to running to FAT Mardi Surly Fashion Statement.

Sorry to be pedantic here, but it's a yellow lab, not a golden one. Having been corrected by the breeder we had ours from, I just thought I'd clarify so the OP didn't make the same mistake. :) And my yellow lab is actually quite a fussy eater, unlike my black one.

OP we have 2 - one yellow and one black. Both lovely. :)

pogface

Visit site
So nice to see pictures and hear positive and happy stories. It has been my dream for such a long time to have my own dog, and now it is finally in reach :) long walks/ training / loving is what I have craved so that won't be a problem! I just want to make sure Labradors will be the right dog. So many friends have them and all seem so happy, it felt like a perfect choice. Not that I have him yet...!

liveryblues

Visit site
We re homed a choc lab as a yearling;) lol. I have always had ridgebacks but secretly had a soft spot for labs. (who wouldnt!) His recall is lousy, he CONSTANTLY has something in his mouth... usually a shoe or boot picked up but NEVER put back next to the other one! He is the most high energy, waggy, happy dog! In my brief research before we rehomed it I apparently missed all the info about labs (especially chocs) being bonkers!
He is not a dustbin. (the RR's do all the counter surfing & bin raiding) He is obsessed with fetching balls and will wallow in mud and water all day. His lovely brown coat is the perfect camouflage for mud.... my carpets are not!
I am bounced on every morning if I dont get out of bed quick enough. We have had him almost a year now and I have yet to see a sad expression on his face!
He fits into out household perfectly and allthough smaller than our ridgebacks in size... his personality is MASSIVE :)
Good luck with yours

claireandnadia

Visit site
My choc lab is 2 and well what can I say, she eats anything and everything, LOVES water and goes deaf when you try to call her back, loves other dogs and people. She hasn't destroyed too much but then she was kept in a crate when we were not there until she was about 1.
Great great dogs.

rubyrumba

Visit site
Double ditto about health testing!! They are very fashioable and highly in demand so there are a a huge amount of backyard breeders out there, churing out rubbish. They have three main health issues: their joints (hips and elbows), their eyes and their skin. All is easily bred out and is essential you choose a well bred, tested lab. They're not cheap but well worth it.

We've always had labs. Easy, good natured dogs. They're very boisterous and high energy when they're young and need a LOT of walking. Very prone to chewing, esp if bored and not exercised enough. Easily trained and generally well behaved but extemely easy to spoilt and turn into a PITA. They are very greedy and are prone to getting fat so you need to be strict.

If you don't want to trampse about in all weathers (the wetter the better as far as a lab is concerned), not wanting to put much time into trainied and are a soft touch when it comes to feeding and treats, get another breed.

Our last lab was 16 when she passed away. New lab is just turned a year old and is fabulous, We had to travel 300miles to get her, waited months and paid a fortune for her though!.

The two greatest joys in a labs life:

Getting wet:

557762_10151877955025437_585632516_n.jpg

582117_10151877970055437_1730158683_n.jpg

And carrying things

426949_10151877972765437_923320060_n.jpg

Preferable combined.

All of this! What a lovely lab you have!
I have two chocolate labs, they are COMPLETELY different in every way apart from their love of food! One has rubbish breeding, allergies, ear infections, you name it. She is still full of it at 9! She was a spur of the moment decision. The next lab we got has top breeding and is sooo quiet compared to the nutty first one, much more faithful and generally a much nicer dog and better looking too. I would say definitely look into the breeding too, it makes all the difference. Everyone loves a lab so get prepared to be stopped for lots of fuss!!

kal40

Visit site
We have a chocolate bitch. My first dog (not OHs though) and she is fab. I swore I would never have a dog now I would never be without one.

She is great company and although quite small she is a great guard dog and has the bark of a huge rottie. As a puppy she never made a mess in the house and never chewed anything but she does have a lot of toys. FIL is housebound so she goes to inlaws every morning and gets picked up at 6pm. She is great company for him and loves being there.

I had heard that labs were greedy so I was prepared for a lot of saying no but in fact she is anything but. Don't get me wrong she wouldn't turned her nose up at meat or fish but she rarely eats her dinner straight away.

She is quite clever too. I think having a lot of company and people talking to her a lot she recognises a lot of words/names. If you line her toys up and ask her to get a particular one she will get that one.

My sister has my dogs sister (although she is black) and they have the same mannerisms and ways. Its really funny seeing them together.

Would I get another lab in the future - most definitely yes.

If I could work out how to attach a photo I would but I'm hopeless at this.

Last edited: