Labradors

pippixox

Visit site
Hello. Any lab lovers or owners on here? I know all dogs are unique but breeds tend to have traits. Tell me the good and bad!

Plus looking for general advice/reassurance.

Husband and I had recently agreed (I’d been ready for a while but not him!) that getting a second rescue dog would be good. Had our collie for over a year.

Then last night I got a message from old work friend of husbands asking if I could take his dog! He has split with his girl friend and now struggling to find somewhere to live and doesn’t want to leave dog for long hours. Dog currently with his ex and their 1 year old child, but she doesn’t do walking and doesn’t want to keep him.

He is about 3, yellow lab. Used to kids (I have toddler and pregnant) and we know whole history so ticks lots of boxes.....

But, sorry to offend, I have never been a huge lab lover. Just been on holiday with my cousins labs and even the younger one would plant on some walks as he was lazy and I am used to the never ending enthusiasm of a GsD or collie. That being said I didn’t really like collies until I got mine!

Do I need to get over my breedism?! I have known him since a puppy- and he has been a relatively bright active lab

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
My family have had labs for years. None have been at all lazy. All have been very active, energetic, fit dogs. They are the gun dog type though - not as chunky as some.

Good points (this is just from my experience):
- Very biddable/trainable
- Very friendly
- Very safe with kids, other dogs.
- Great recall
- Energetic without being loopy.
- Level headed, non neurotic.
- Intensely loyal and loving

Bad points
- Like rolling in fox or badger poo (maybe all dogs do?)
- Shed a lot
- Insatiably greedy

Perhaps the 'laziness' is actually due to the dogs being overweight/unfit. I remember going for a 20 miles run with my lab and after mile 18 we came across another lab. Mine raced around in circles to play and the other joined in for about 2 minutes then collapsed in a heap!

Last edited:

ihatework

Visit site
There is nothing worse than an obese unfit understimulated lab. And a bit like a cob they can be prone to that IF the owners let them.

Equally a slim, fit well trained lab is usually a delight to be around.

Fanatical

Visit site
Lazy?! Blimey, mine would go on and on and on if I let him. Again, he is from working lines but I think keeping them fit and a sensible weight is paramount. It's funny because quite a few people have said to me that mine looks thin - particularly my mum, but when I asked my vet he said he is perfect and its just that so many people are used to seeing over weight labs they think its the norm. Mine has a waist and when he stretches to sniff or eat his food you can just see his ribs. He has literally endless energy. He is my absolute world. Loyal, loving and trainable - fabulous temperament.
The one you mention might be a good age though as I know a lot of people struggle with labs as a puppy - everything that makes them amazing as adult dogs, makes them a double handful as a puppy! Great fun though.

MaxboleyBlack

Visit site
Im currently dog sitting 2 x labs for a week and they are great, Very active with personalities to die for! I'm falling more in love each day and don't want to hand them back. Thinking of adding to my lurcher & collie pack so i have one of my own. :)

HeresHoping

Visit site
I have three. In my eyes they can do no wrong.

Except...

* B*ggering off on occasion when someone leaves the gate open. The old boy goes to see his girlfriend on the neighbouring farm. The young ones, mother and son, play in the woods and the fields just out of sight. This largely involves splashing in the beck, rolling in fox poo and sticking their heads down rabbit holes and barking.

* Bin raiding. They are clever. The young one stands on the pedal, the father dives right in. Alternatively, if some tick has left a chair too close to a kitchen top, then cupboards will be raided. Even fruit is not safe.

* Bed hogging. Especially when cold. Labradors do not believe they are dogs. They do believe they are humans. Ergo, beds and sofas and armchairs are for sleeping on/in. Dog beds are to be avoided at all costs.

* Being Bored on occasion. They need love, interaction and exercise. They are not lazy - indeed, they have a tendency to go deaf on the scent of a rabbit and will spend hours following this, criss-crossing the fields and keeping just out of sight and hearing (see b*ggering off) so plenty of exercise is a must. If you don't, they like to chew. They will chew everything in sight, from hand bags to cuddly toys. Unless you are the son, then you hide them behind the sofa and guard them from bored mothers and fathers. Ours are perfectly capable of being left for up to four hours. However, any time over this and you are in danger of finding something/many things chewed.

* Bath time - yours. Own a lab and you will never be alone in the bath again.

* Barking at pheasants in the garden.

Other than that they are, in my opinion, the best dogs in all the world. My big boy is a huge old fashioned type - a rescue from a council house estate where he drove his poor owner to distraction with his abilities to destroy. He was bored - she was out from 5 in the morning until 5 in the evening and left him and his sister with access to the garden. He looks massive - he's a 45kg bundle of muscle. My bitch is a working dog type and also a 'rescue'. The family she belonged to bred cats and that didn't mix so she spent 70% of her time crated up. She came to us at a year old. She panics when we're gone too long, poor girl, but is so loving and kind and nowadays, calm. She was a 'teenage mother' (had puppies at a year old) - an accident because I was carted off in an ambulance and my OH didn't shut the door between her and the big boy. The son is the world's biggest goof ball. We think he's a bit Tim Nice But Dim but he's actually very clever. He is the one who knows that pressing the door handle will open it; and that standing on the pedal will open the bin. Someone from the local shoot came around the other day to enquire after him as a stud dog as he had seen his muscles and good looks. I was chuffed to bits. The rest of the litter have achieved some infamy - anyone following Muddy Mahem's FB blog will know of Humoungohound; and I understand that one bitch is such a good gun dog she is to be bred from this year with a waiting list for the puppies.

Clodagh

Visit site
They are the best dogs ever. The only lazy one I have ever met had a genetic issue that meant exercise made her collapse, the rest have been live wires. Even the show ones would never plant on a walk.
Take him, he sounds ideal!

buddylove

Visit site
Our lab is a wonderful family dog. Working bred so smaller, slimmer and full of energy. Will sit for ages to be cuddled by small children, is always hungry and hogs the log burner. Slightly needy, and would crawl into your skin given the chance.
However, my heart belongs to a terrier and always will. I love an independent dog!!!