Labs - yellow v black

Wundahorse

Visit site
I've got a yellow Lab bitch(more blonde than yellow) who is completely loopy,but equally clever where it matters:food. She has learnt to distract the Collies from their food by fetching a ball,then sneaking their grub.She does the same to the cat,always watching me first to check if I'm likely to catch her in the act.I had to abandon the concept of giving treats when she was being house trained as she kept asking to go out for a wee every few seconds just for the treat.She is willful and compared to the Collies,harder to train,and has a tendency to selective deafness,and her concentration span is poor,unless food is involved when i have her undivided attention. The pluses are she is a lovely natured and loyal dog.I have seen similar traits in black Labs and find the chocs are dopier.

windand rain

Visit site
I have a wonderful and calm yellow girl she is the best dog we have had for a very long time well behaved and biddable
Only other lab we have had was a black dog and he was crazy an absolute untrainable nut job
Red fox labs are just dark yellow ones so no difference and I believe that the reason chocolate ones are less trainable is they are largely from show lines so not bred to be gundogs as such they are coming into working lines more now as they are so fashionable

EAST KENT

Visit site
Reds everytime for me,so beautiful and do very well in the field.However I do remember about fifty years ago these horrid white labs were not so prevalent.Our Keeper had rich barley yellows,and they were more solid than today`s Field Trial stock a well.

lab

New User
myyellowlab.com
I'm sorry i have to disagree - the color of the dog is nothing more then pigmentation's in the genes when the dog is born. it has nothing to do with intelligence. some dogs are smarter and sharper then others because it deepens on their parents and breed history. also. a Labrador in general is a very intelligent dog and can learn very quickly . again...yellow black or chocolate are all Labradors and of the same breed. what effects their intelligence is what i wrote above :
1 : breeding history .
2 : genes.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Our first lab was a yellow who had been dumped and she was amazing, so intelligent and the gentlest dog I have ever met. We had her for 12 years and she was thought to be about 4 when my MIL found her. She would come out on hacks with us even on the road and she just seemed to know where to go and how to behave at all times. We also had two black male labs who were lovely characters but don't think they had a full brain cell between them.:D Wouldn't have dreamt have taking them out with the horses. I always assumed the difference was due to them being male as opposed to the colour difference. A few friends of ours have chocolate labs and they all seem to be rather loopy and one or two of them have had real difficulties with basic training. We have got springers now and they are a lot easier than the black labs but again they are female.

GinaB

Visit site
Our yellow is a real 'lights are on, nobody home'. Bless her, she tries but she's not an intelligent creature! All the black labs have been incredibly intelligent and quick to learn. Windsor was too smart for his own good!

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Yellow Dog thinks he's a cat and needs to sleep 23 hours of the day :rolleyes: Even when he was a baby he was chilled. His litter was mixed black and yellows and he was the only one who didn't go to a working home. Good job too coz he's far too lazy to be a working dog! :D

Bambi.

Visit site
I'm sorry i have to disagree - the color of the dog is nothing more then pigmentation's in the genes when the dog is born. it has nothing to do with intelligence. some dogs are smarter and sharper then others because it deepens on their parents and breed history. also. a Labrador in general is a very intelligent dog and can learn very quickly . again...yellow black or chocolate are all Labradors and of the same breed. what effects their intelligence is what i wrote above :
1 : breeding history .
2 : genes.

Agree!

EQUISCENE

Visit site
Chocolate LABS ARE A FASHION STATEMENT most Blind Dogs for the Guides are Yellow and Most Gun Dogs are Black my opinion only.

I'm not in to fads or fashion but share my life with an adorable 9yr old chocolate whom I've had since a pup because we live in shooting country and he being chocolate wasn't fashionable enough to take shooting so they sold him as a pet! Seriously though I've often wondered why there are no chocs doing GDFB work as mine has a steady temperament and is very obedient a real pleasure of a dog to have around..