Lack of control

GSD Woman

Visit site
Back to the thought that the problem might be DM... There is a test for the gene thought to carry DM. Actually I've only heard one person doubt the research but that's another story. In the US it is offered through at least one vet school and one private company. Good luck with the old man.

Goldenstar

Visit site
OP , nothing is sadder than when an old friend ( mine are labs as well ) reaches this stage .
You will know when the time is right .
I love old dogs cleaning up is nothing when you consider what they give I
us .
My old girl is in front of the aga as I type she looks over every few minutes to check all is ok just enjoy these last times .

angrybird1

Visit site
Thank you for your apology, it is accepted
It's in no way a apology I'm afraid. You need to take the massive chip of your shoulder. Not everything is about you and even if you don't think so there are others on here that know about dogs.
I wouldn't bother replying as you are on UI

angrybird1

Visit site
Back to the thought that the problem might be DM... There is a test for the gene thought to carry DM. Actually I've only heard one person doubt the research but that's another story. In the US it is offered through at least one vet school and one private company. Good luck with the old man.
Yes. That test does give a good indication but sadly only a post mortem can confirm if a dog does have DM. It's usually diagnosed on symptoms. As in dragging hind limbs, knuckling of hind feet, not knowing when they poo etc. It does slowly get worse until the dog is paralysed. It can be a very slow developing disease though and dogs can have a quality of life for quite a while There are things that help. Yoga mats on hard floors for instance, There is a great harness made by blue dog called Help um up harness which is a big help for getting them in the car for instance. It's not painful.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes. That test does give a good indication but sadly only a post mortem can confirm if a dog does have DM. It's usually diagnosed on symptoms. As in dragging hind limbs, knuckling of hind feet, not knowing when they poo etc. It does slowly get worse until the dog is paralysed. It can be a very slow developing disease though and dogs can have a quality of life for quite a while There are things that help. Yoga mats on hard floors for instance, There is a great harness made by blue dog called Help um up harness which is a big help for getting them in the car for instance. It's not painful.

That harness looks really useful I will commit it to memory thank you .

angrybird1

Visit site
I'm still really angry about a certain person's comments on here.
That person decided to take my comments personally and decided apparently that I was having a go at her for having her dogs put to sleep.
That is completely untrue and my comments were intended for the original poster.
It is of course completely each owners own personal decision when they decide when to put to sleep.
I have experience of dogs with Dm and it's a horrible and sad disease. It can be very slow progressing and it completely depends on each dog and each owner when the decision to put to sleep is made.
My post was to point out that although it will get worse it's not a immediate death sentence and that is true.
The abuse I was given by someone who my comments were not even intended for was extremely rude and uncalled for.
It seems I hit a nerve with that poster.
My comments were apparently insensitive. I would argue that her comments were far more insensitive as she was in effect telling someone to put the dog to sleep.
I have put that poster on U I as she appears to have a massive chip on her shoulder and seems to think she is the only person here that knows anything about dogs.

angrybird1

Visit site
And, here we go again.....
Sorry but I do not think you would like to be called some of the things I have been. Its completely uncalled for.
Just because I appear to have upset one of " The gang" or one of the self proclaimed "Experts "

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Sorry but I do not think you would like to be called some of the things I have been. Its completely uncalled for.
Just because I appear to have upset one of " The gang" or one of the self proclaimed "Experts "

You both had your say yesterday. Be angry all you like, but don’t you think the post has been derailed enough?

Last edited:

angrybird1

Visit site
You both had your day yesterday. Be angry all you like, but don’t you think the post has been derailed enough?
Yes I totally agree the thread was completely and selfishly derailed. Not by me as I was trying to help someone who's dog may have DM. Something which I have experienced but someone decided to have a go.
I was talking about the symptoms of Dm and what can help but no apparently I was having a go at someone else. Yes I'm angry as I was called all sorts. You would be too but because it's a favourite poster on here I'm supposed to take it?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I'm still really angry about a certain person's comments on here.
That person decided to take my comments personally and decided apparently that I was having a go at her for having her dogs put to sleep.
That is completely untrue and my comments were intended for the original poster.
It is of course completely each owners own personal decision when they decide when to put to sleep.
I have experience of dogs with Dm and it's a horrible and sad disease. It can be very slow progressing and it completely depends on each dog and each owner when the decision to put to sleep is made.
My post was to point out that although it will get worse it's not a immediate death sentence and that is true.
The abuse I was given by someone who my comments were not even intended for was extremely rude and uncalled for.
It seems I hit a nerve with that poster.
My comments were apparently insensitive. I would argue that her comments were far more insensitive as she was in effect telling someone to put the dog to sleep.
I have put that poster on U I as she appears to have a massive chip on her shoulder and seems to think she is the only person here that knows anything about dogs.

Do not give it the dignity of using your head space to think about it .
Just move on .

MurphysMinder

Visit site
The loss of control could well be a symptom of DM, though if Yumove has helped with the difficulty getting up there may be something else going on. Normally supplements/pain relief don't help with DM , though it would be amazing if Yumove did make a difference. I think a lot of GSD breeders in UK are a little unsure about the test , as there are apparently 2 different genes and it only tests for one, however anything can help reduce this disease is worth it in my view.
I would definitely look at another vet OP, they shouldn't be so dismissive of your concerns, perhaps a change of diet might help.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Hi OP, having had dogs with DM and having previously clean dogs be upset when they can't toilet themselves (nothing to do with my feelings or reactions!) it's not something I personally would prolong (while there's no pain per se, there will be wear and tear on the front end as it copes without the back end, but see what another vet says, if he displays more symptoms, see how your own dog is coping, etc.
The test I'm aware of, identifies if a breeding animal is a carrier or not.
Best wishes.

angrybird1

Visit site
The genetic test does identify carriers of the gene. That doesn't mean that the Dog has it just that it can pass it on. If both parents carry the gene they shouldn't be breed from as a very good chance they will pass it on.
Xrays and mri scans won't tell you if the dog has got DM but it will tell you if it has something else causing the symptoms. ie arthritis or a tumour etc.
The only way you will know for definite if it's DM is to rule everything else out or by a post mortem.
You can go a lot on symptoms but you can't be 100% sure.
As it is a degenerative disease it will only get worse and there isn't really a treatment for it. The only thing which will slow it down is exercise.
Hydrotherapy.can help and some people think acupuncture can also help but I don't think that's been proved.
As I tried to say before they will often lose control of their bowels and bladder and how the dog and owner cope with that is individual.
In my experience if you don't make a fuss about it the dog won't and often the dog doesn't even know. However, it is I will stress again a individual choice as to how long and how far you go before putting the dog to sleep.
You can help the dog in a lot of ways to have a quality of life for quite a while and in some dogs it does progress slowly but eventually it will progress to a point when putting to sleep is the only option.

It completely depends on your own circumstances.
Any breed can get it but is fairly common in Gsds.
I wouldn't personally buy a Gsd puppy that's parents haven't been tested for it because it's a horrible and upsetting condition.
Your dog may not have Dm, I hope he doesn't but pooing without knowing he's doing it is one symptom of Dm.
a lot of vets don't know that much about it but id try to find a vet that's more helpful than the one you have seen.
I have no doubt that one of the wonderful dog experts who have so oo much more experience than me will be along to put me down in some some way but feel free.

Last edited:

Clodagh

Visit site
I've never heard of a lab getting it, I always thought it was a GSD thing. Interesting to hear others can, every day is a school day.

I hope you at least can get an answer and see a way forward from a different vet.

angrybird1

Visit site
Yes. Any breed can get it as far as I am aware..gsds do seem to get it more often than other breeds. Corgis get it as do boxers ,ridgebacks etc. My experience has been with Gsds. It really is a nasty disease as it leaves one end of the dog happy and normal but the back end slowly becomes paralyzed.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Is it possibly not dm and just old dog degeneration? It seems to unfortunately be a common thing that happens to older dogs. I’m talking about the OP’s dog.

angrybird1

Visit site
Is it possibly not dm and just old dog degeneration? It seems to unfortunately be a common thing that happens to older dogs. I’m talking about the OP’s dog.
Quite possibly which is why it would be best to see a better vet. I am also talking about the Ops dog by the way not some other random dog who I don't know about just to be completely clear!

Follysmum

Visit site
Thankyou to everyone that has taken the time to reply and give their advice and experiences. I have had a good chat today with another vet and I feel a lot happier with what we are possibly dealing with and more aware of what to look out for with him.

Im sorry the post caused a bit of tension and friction with a few people.

angrybird1

Visit site
Thankyou to everyone that has taken the time to reply and give their advice and experiences. I have had a good chat today with another vet and I feel a lot happier with what we are possibly dealing with and more aware of what to look out for with him.

I'm glad you have some useful info from your vet.
Your thread didn't cause friction at all. I simply replied to you using my experience. Another poster seemed to think my reply was aimed at her for some reason.
don't worry about it. I hope your dog is ok weather it is DM or arthritis or something else just enjoy your time with him and make the most of every day. I'm sorry your thread was derailed .

{97702}

Visit site

I apologise that your thread was derailed, it was inappropriate and I should have tackled the issue by PM - I’m sorry your thread got affected as a result

Goldenstar

Visit site

Don’t apologise for something that’s not your fault .