Lack of knowledge and brain cells

Griggster1990

Visit site
Lady on my yard has a little Sec A for the kids. They ride him once a month if that, for a few minutes. Pony is getting fat and the lady has decided to let another kid on our yard ride the pony. She hasn't owned him long and he has only ever been a lead rein as far as we know, so straight away I think it is wrong to allow a child (about 11 years old) to ride this pony.

Anyway, the only saddle the pony has is a cub saddle for the little kids. The lady doesn't want to buy a saddle for the girl to ride in, so has done the most stupid thing. She has taken (off the muck heap!) an old saddle that we found a few months back. It was found in the hay barn under the hay when we got to the bottom of our winter stash. The tree is broken in numerous places as it can be laid completely flat like a treeless, although it is leather. One panel is almost completely torn off and one stirrup bar is very badly damaged on the torn side. I haven't seen what the girth straps look like. It was chucked on the muck heap by YO, but plucked back out last night to be used on the pony! The YO cleaned it up, stuck some stirrups and a girth on it, and they'll be putting it on the pony tonight for the child to ride.

Please everyone, cross your fingers the child is ok and the pony doesn't flip its lid.

I don't know why I posted this really, just needed to tell someone. My suggestion of (at the very least) buying something cheap that isnt broken and even slightly resembles a fit was dismissed as the child is only light. ***sigh***

PorkChop

Visit site
Why don't they just use the cub saddle, my daughters of a similar age to the new rider would certainly be able to squeeze their backside into one, it's just a glorified treeless saddle.

I would stay well out of it, at least the owner is try to address the weight issue with the pony.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Could you tell the YO what happened? if it isnt the owners saddle it is technically theft

I presumed that the only reason for why the YO cleaned up the saddle, and "stuck some stirrups and a girth on it", was that they would be able to use it. So I don't think your suggestion is an option.

Fingers crossed
fingerscrossed.gif
that either someone involved come to their senses, or that at least the horse or girl doesn't get hurt.

webble

Visit site
I presumed that the only reason for why the YO cleaned up the saddle, and "stuck some stirrups and a girth on it", was that they would be able to use it. So I don't think your suggestion is an option.

Fingers crossed
fingerscrossed.gif
that either someone involved come to their senses, or that at least the horse or girl doesn't get hurt.

Ah sorry I thought it was the pony owner that had done that and yard owner might not know

fatpiggy

Visit site
So the YO has knowingly put a girth and stirrups on a broken saddle with a view to allowing a child (any rider actually) ride a pony in it? One word answer - leave! I wouldn't want to be on a yard with someone that stupid. As to how the child rides the pony I'm afraid that is none of your business.