Lactating mare

PetalPower

Visit site
Has anyone come across this before? Mare (11yo) came into milk about 8 weeks ago. Is not in foal and has never been covered. She is in good condition. Vet advised to leave alone, cut feed and grazing, stop all exercise and wait it out but it's been 8 weeks and she is still dripping milk. I'd be very interested to know anyone else's experiences of this and what was done treatment wise. I have vet coming again on Tuesday to reassess situation.

Thank you in advance for any experiences or advice.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
My 22 year old has lactated on and off for the past two years and my vet isn’t worried about it. It started when we moved..briefly..to a yard with really rich grass and clover coupled with the not so subtle introduction of another mare to my two which the oldie objected strongly to..oldie seemed to protect my young mare like she was her foal..so I think hormones were suddenly boosted hence the milk.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Yes my mare lactates when the sugars in the grass increase. It’s our warning sign to restrict her grazing, soak her hay and keep a careful eye on her! She has developed Mastitis once too. I’d restrict sugar where possible and just keep an eye on her. My vet said my mare was likely getting this reaction instead/before laminitis!