Ladies, who knew??

SilverLinings

Visit site
Susanna used to post on here but I can't remember her username.

There are some interesting comments in books about riding circa 1800-1920 about women and riding, although a lot of them seemed to be men wanting to keep all the horses for themselves so they would list the reasons women should stay away, which was largely centered on riding being 'immodest' (and apparently riding astride would 'damage' a woman for marriage :oops:), and women being so weak that it would wreck their constitution and their feminine posture and bearing would be spoilt as riding would make them masculine!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Susanna used to post on here but I can't remember her username.

There are some interesting comments in books about riding circa 1800-1920 about women and riding, although a lot of them seemed to be men wanting to keep all the horses for themselves so they would list the reasons women should stay away, which was largely centered on riding being 'immodest' (and apparently riding astride would 'damage' a woman for marriage :oops:), and women being so weak that it would wreck their constitution and their feminine posture and bearing would be spoilt as riding would make them masculine!

About 20 years ago I had an absolutely gorgeous big chestnut hunter, he was a total character and loved sticking in some huge bucks (which he gave you plenty of notice of) and was generally a bouncy, jolly chap with the biggest heart and personality.

I lost count of the number of men who would come up to me and tell me that my horse was far too much for me and that he was a "man's horse" and I should sell him to them.

Sadly for them, I kept my horse till the day he died and we did everything together and had a whale of a time. He wasn't a man's horse, he was MY horse :D