Lambing work experience

phoebe.and.bonnie

Visit site
Hello, I know there's quite a few people on this forum who would know places who would be willing to take students on lambing experience placements so I thought I'd ask :)

Basically, I'm a second year bioveterinary sciences student at RVC at the moment. I didn't get into vet medicine when I applied, which I think is probably partly due to having not as much work experience as other applicants. I did have what I thought was quite a lot, but it was obviously pretty hard to dedicate entire weekends/holidays to unpaid work experience when I had my horse Bonnie to look after/pay for, so the work experience I did have was generally short placements and all local to me. But anyway Bonnie is now happy in a loan home, so I have a bit more free time to get placements! :)

I have got a little bit of lambing experience, but it was only a small flock owned by somebody in my village who breeds lambs to feed her family rather than to sell... so obviously I'd like to find somewhere a bit more commercial. Date-wise, my Easter holiday is already pretty full with work experience but I would be available from the 17th to the 30th of March.

I'm not the most experienced but I'm very willing to learn! I also like to think I'm pretty hard-working and dedicated, I'd be happy to do nights/whatever you want once I'm a little bit more confident. Ideally I'd like somewhere fairly close-ish to London/Hertfordshire but I'm also willing to travel anywhere within reason. It would be great if I could find a placement with accommodation and food provided but if not a local affordable B&B? :) Obviously I don't expect any kind of payment and I'd also be willing to contribute towards food costs.

Thank you for reading! :) xxxx

JenTaz

Visit site
if there are any farms around you , i would suggest starting there would be a good idea, im in a similar boat to you going to uni next year to do agric science on the basis that come spring i get work experiance in calving and lambing etc, have found my place through my dad, definately easiest thing to do is go around asking maybe put an add up in a local feed mercahnts type place see if they know of any sheep farmers about

quirky

Visit site
I know the farmer near me rings the vet colleges to put an advert on the notice board, a couple of months before lambing time.

Can you check notice boards?

Gluttonforpunishment

Visit site
Depending on when you go back after Christmas you may be able to find a farm that lambs in early January - friends with a substanial flock of Suffolks always start this time of the year.

KitKat_89

Visit site
Have a look at this: http://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=493&Itemid=55

I think they are still in the process of compiling this years list but if you register now you will be emailed when its avaliable. The adverts also state how much experiance each farm is looking for from you and what they offer, so easy to identify which places will suit you best. It is good that you are looking early but many farmers wont advertise until much nearer lambing.

Just a thought from me but as your easter hols are later in the year you may have more luck looking at hill farms as they tend to lamb later when it gets warmer (supposedly anyway). I imagine it is mostly lowland flocks with meat breeds around london/hertfordshire?

Good luck!

Last edited:

Merry Crisis

Visit site
My ex will be lambing then, he would be delighted to have you. He has about 1250 ewes to lamb. You also wouldnt be on your own but you would be very hands on. Trouble is we are in Cumbria. You could stay with me as I am in the same village. Worth a thought.

phoebe.and.bonnie

Visit site
I know the farmer near me rings the vet colleges to put an advert on the notice board, a couple of months before lambing time.

Can you check notice boards?

The RVC does have a place on the intranet for people to advertise placements, but it seems the farmers who put themselves up there generally only want to take on people who are already on a vet med course :(

phoebe.and.bonnie

Visit site
My ex will be lambing then, he would be delighted to have you. He has about 1250 ewes to lamb. You also wouldnt be on your own but you would be very hands on. Trouble is we are in Cumbria. You could stay with me as I am in the same village. Worth a thought.

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for! I've been offered another placement a little closer to home this evening, but it's definitely something I'd consider as long as the train tickets wouldn't be too extortionate. How long a placement would he consider?

phoebe.and.bonnie

Visit site
Have a look at this: http://www.nationalsheep.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=493&Itemid=55

I think they are still in the process of compiling this years list but if you register now you will be emailed when its avaliable. The adverts also state how much experiance each farm is looking for from you and what they offer, so easy to identify which places will suit you best. It is good that you are looking early but many farmers wont advertise until much nearer lambing.

Just a thought from me but as your easter hols are later in the year you may have more luck looking at hill farms as they tend to lamb later when it gets warmer (supposedly anyway). I imagine it is mostly lowland flocks with meat breeds around london/hertfordshire?

Good luck!

Thank you for the link! Yes that definitely seems to be the problem around Hertfordshire... I had a possible placement lined up last year but all the lambs were already born by the time I was home from uni!

Merry Crisis

Visit site
Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I'd be looking for! I've been offered another placement a little closer to home this evening, but it's definitely something I'd consider as long as the train tickets wouldn't be too extortionate. How long a placement would he consider?

He seems to lamb well into April. Train tickets are cheaper if you book in advance. It was just a thought, the offer will stand. I do understand that it is MILES away from you! Just PM me if you want more info.

ABC

Visit site
Lionman - is that offer open to anyone? ;) :D I'm looking for work experience too and am in Lancs. Sorry, slight thread hijack.

Good luck OP :)

mulledwhine

Visit site
If YO want work experience now yu have left it a bit late, sorry, most farmers around here do suffolks or their crosses which. Means a winter lambing.

So I would recommend applying a year in advance, sorry not much help, bit we hire our students a year before we need them.

Look in the farmers weekly as well, I did mine between England and newzealand !!!! Would that be an option?

rara007

Visit site
I went to wolverhampton and lived in a caravan for free last easter for my lambing- 12 hour shifts, often just 12 hours speed mucking out :rolleyes: But it did pay well and lambed 2k lambs while I was there.

sarab100

New User
Visit site
Sorry to come really late to this thread, but my daughter is a prospective vert and is looking for lambing experience. We are in Herts and not from a rural family, so it is proving quite difficult,

She is prepared to travel and if necessary stay in a B&B. She is not afraid of hard or mucky work.

Quantock-cob

Visit site
Hi Sarah100, the only thing I can suggest is to contact some Large Animal vets in your area and ask if they know any local sheep farmers who could help. The only problem you will have now is that most lambing in the south of England will have finished. They will be lambing in Scotland, Wales and N England but that is probably too far for your daughter to go. Your daughter should also get some farm experience for her Vet school application so speaking to some LA vets will be good anyway, and she may get some work experience and go on calls with them. Shame you're not in Somerset as i could help you out with vets and farmers. Good luck.

PS: just had a thought - is there an agri college near you - they often do lambing courses which may help her when she actually gets to do it for real! They may also have a list of farmers who need helpers.

Last edited:

helbe

Visit site
contact your local livestock market they usually have a market report which goes out to farmers,you could advertise in there,Im sure someone would be pleased of an extra pair or hands.

Tiggy1

Visit site
We have 1500 ewes split over two lambings first being feb 20ish for 3 weeks of about 500 ewes the rest lambing down in March 20th ish.
All indoors.
We provide food & accomodation and have had students from Liverpool vet school, RVC, Nottingham & Bristol.
Please pm me if you are interested. it is a lot of jard work but good fun :)
We are based in Gloucestershire close to Cheltenham.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I'm in Herts and organised my lambing experience at Capel Manor Farm (part of capel manor college) in Enfield. Unfortunately mine fell through as my horse on loan became really unwell on the day before I was supposed to start and I had to drive the hundred+ miles north to go and see him and didn't come home for the week but the farm manager seemed lovely and they were really keen to have prospective vet students come and get involved. They also do calving and have piglets this year.

ambercornock

New User
Visit site
We have 1500 ewes split over two lambings first being feb 20ish for 3 weeks of about 500 ewes the rest lambing down in March 20th ish.
All indoors.
We provide food & accomodation and have had students from Liverpool vet school, RVC, Nottingham & Bristol.
Please pm me if you are interested. it is a lot of jard work but good fun :)
We are based in Gloucestershire close to Cheltenham.

Hi
I know this is an old post but I have applied to vet school this year and have an interview at Bristol coming up in March. I live in Gloucestershire and was wondering whether you have any lambing placements this year at all? If so, I'd love to come and help out?