lame after being shod

ss1

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has any experience of this and any ideas about it.

Horse was sound coming in from the field, she was shod by the same farrier I have had for 18 months and was lame straight away afterwards on her right fore on saturday. Not hopping lame but definitely uncomfortable so I called the farrier back, she has fantastic feet, there were no tight nails and the shoe was a good fit, he couldn't find anything wrong with the shoe but took it off and re-shod her anyway.

She will let me put pressure on her sole, heel etc, there is no swelling, no cuts on her legs and no real heat although the hoof is slightly (and I mean slightly) warmer than the others.

She seemed better on the straight last night but still tender on right hand turns. All I can think is that the farrier has perhaps taken the foot back a bit too far and has left her a little foot sore, I think she has got a bit better since saturday when she was shod and she was walking around in the outdoor school quite happily last night, the lameness only really shows up in trot.

I'm keeping her on box rest until she is sound and just putting her in the school for 15 mins each end of the day. It's very bizarre as she is not a lamey horse at all, does anyone else have experience of this or any ideas as to the cause etc.

josephinebutter2

Visit site
Nail prick or nail bind can cause this. This is basically where the farrier has either just touched or penetrated the sensitive area of the hoof with the nail. It is very easily done, and happens more often than people think.

If it has penetrated, there may be a small amount of blood when the nail is removed. If not, then there will be no sign that this has happened, other than horse being lame.

Removal and re-fit of the shoe will ease the pain and the horse should be sound in 48hrs or so, depending on severity. These can get infected on rare occasions, so if heat and lameness persists, you may need to contact your vet.

No farrier I have ever met will admit to doing this, but they will remove and re-fit the shoe if they suspect this may be the cause.

cazza

community.webshots.com
I must be very lucky, if my farrier thinks one of my horses is walking off after being shod slightly differently he will make me trot it up and will investigate fully as to why it may be suddenly lame. He goes by honesty is the best policy and I can't say farer than that. I would rather have an honest farrier than one who want's to blame an error on something else.

serena2005

Visit site
my horse was shod today and trotted up slightly lame, but then my farrier said his soles are about as thick as 2 fag papers!! lol

ring your farrier and tell them, they should be more then happy to come back and test the foot.
poltis it for a night and see if anything comes out. some one on here reccomened bathing the foot in a warm bucket of water seemed to sort my boy out.

Caritas

Visit site
I totally agree with Jo. My horse has very sensitive feet and this does happen a couple of times a year with my horse. It has taken up to two weeks for him to come completely sound!! And I do have a very good farrier!!

ss1

Visit site
Thanks for the advice everyone - trotted her up on the concrete last night and she was much better and also much better on turns. The farrier was at my yard yesterday for a couple of other horses and he had a look at her again, said he thought she looked much better too.

Really pleased with the way he has dealt with it actually as other farriers I know would have got very defensive, they hate you criticising their work at the best of times!

Thanks again