Lame - could this be nail bind?

LeneHorse

Visit site
My horse was shod on friday. Seemed ok over the weekend but was lame yesterday on her near fore after being in for a couple of hours. There was no obvious heat or digital pulse. I phoned the farrier and he said to turn her out and see how she was after being out so I did. She was much better when she came in tonight but after standing in the stable for 2 hours was hopping lame again and there was a tiny bit of heat in the hoof. So she's staying in again tonight and I'll get the farrier out tomorrow to check her. Does this sound like nail bind, I've never had this before? Why would it get worse when she's standing in and ease off when she's out?

Cliqmo

Visit site
Nope I don't think nail bind I'm afraid as it generally occurs straight after shoeing and wears off gradually- it doesn't improve with exercise and get worse with stabling. I would think that is something muscular or nerve system based that she has tweaked, especially if walking in the field allows her to stretch off and improve.

cyearsley

Visit site
Sorry to disagree but nail bind/prick often takes a couple of days to develop into lameness. My farrier came late a few months ago as had emergency call and had to put on last shoe as it was getting dark and put a nail in too high, nail bind......it took two-three days before my horse went hopping lame, removal of shoe and a couple of days poulticing and shoe back on, all was fine. I would give your farrier a call, good luck - CLY

kellyeaton

Visit site
it could be nail bind or an abcess brewing get farrier out to take shoe off havea good look and poke around if nothing have shoe back on!