Lame doggie. All thoughts welcome.

Greylegs

Visit site
Our staffie/whippet cross went for his usual walk this morning - around an hour, mostly off lead in woodland, so lots f running about etc. This afternoon he’s clearly lame in his off hind. Can’t find anything in his foot and no heat anywhere. It looks more like his hip joint or hock or maybe a pulled muscle somewhere. If it were a horse, I’d be resting for 24 hours and re-assess tomorrow. Any thoughts on lame doggies much appreciated. This is a new one for me .... many thanks.

{97702}

Visit site
Bute and box rest 😊

Or rather restricted exercise (on lead/in garden/no hooning around) to him let rest it for a couple of days. I tend to give mine a dose of Metacam if they are very sore (which is an anti inflammatory and pain killer) but that’s because I always have it available. If he isn’t that sore then I wouldn’t bother as it might mask the symptoms and make him more likely to think ‘oh I’m fine, I’ll have a run around’

I’d leave it 48 hours if he isn’t hopping lame and see how he is?

Greylegs

Visit site
Cruciate, possibly? Crate rest, on lead walks only for a few days.

Not crate trained. He’s a rescue and literally goes hysterical at the site of a crate (I dread to think why !!) so no crates in this house. But we’ll keep him quiet for a couple of days to rest it off and if not better by, maybe, Tuesday, pop him round to the vets. He looks very fed up, but has eaten his dinner and been out for a wee so not panicking yet!!

{97702}

Visit site
Not crate trained. He’s a rescue and literally goes hysterical at the site of a crate (I dread to think why !!) so no crates in this house. But we’ll keep him quiet for a couple of days to rest it off and if not better by, maybe, Tuesday, pop him round to the vets. He looks very fed up, but has eaten his dinner and been out for a wee so not panicking yet!!

I agree, if they are eating then all is good for me 😊 fingers crossed it’s just a tweak and gets better with rest

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Our staffie/whippet cross went for his usual walk this morning - around an hour, mostly off lead in woodland, so lots f running about etc. This afternoon he’s clearly lame in his off hind. Can’t find anything in his foot and no heat anywhere. It looks more like his hip joint or hock or maybe a pulled muscle somewhere. If it were a horse, I’d be resting for 24 hours and re-assess tomorrow. Any thoughts on lame doggies much appreciated. This is a new one for me .... many thanks.

On lead exercise & no running in the garden for a few days & then assess 🙂

{97702}

Visit site
Not really, any dog can do a cruciate. Both my stepson’s and a client’s Bichon have done them.

Really? I must be lucky with sighthounds, never had a suggestion that one might have done a cruciate. Every type of breed has its weaknesses I suppose, this isn’t one that sighthounds tend to have

rara007

Visit site
Staffies are certainly prone to them so if she’s got the weight or stifle confirmation of a staff then that’d be a legitimate concern.

Moobli

Visit site
Bute and box rest 😊

Or rather restricted exercise (on lead/in garden/no hooning around) to him let rest it for a couple of days. I tend to give mine a dose of Metacam if they are very sore (which is an anti inflammatory and pain killer) but that’s because I always have it available. If he isn’t that sore then I wouldn’t bother as it might mask the symptoms and make him more likely to think ‘oh I’m fine, I’ll have a run around’

I’d leave it 48 hours if he isn’t hopping lame and see how he is?

I would do the same as above.

Greylegs

Visit site
Quick update on lame doggie ....

He spent Monday hobbling about looking very sorry for himself, so we assumed he was in pain. Only had small potters round the garden for toilets. Tuesday a short walk on the lead and seemed a bit better.

Today ... bouncing round like a rubber ball!!! So ......no idea what the problem was but he seems back to his old self. We're taking him slowly for a couple more days to make sure he's well over it.

Some useful comments on here though with regard to cruciate problems and conformation etc, so thanks everyone for the added knowledge. Conformation wise - the dog has the body shape similar to a fit boxer - very deep chest, narrow waist, good shoulder and chest and well let down hocks. But then he's staffie in his head!