Lame horse

Copperpot

Visit site
He's retired but field sound. Put them I to summer field and noticed after a run around he was lame. No cuts, heat, swelling. Thought he had tweaked something. Gave danilon for 2 days and then stopped. He was ok yesterday but worse again today. He's never had laminitis and I have one who is susceptible. No signs of raised digital pulses etc. What else could it be? I will call the vet Monday and keep him in his woodchip paddock with hay until then. The only thing I can see different is a small crack in his front foot. He has no shoes on.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Out of 10, how lame is he? Would also second the above, could be an abscess. Even if it isn't an abscess, putting a poultice won't do any harm. He may well of pulled something.

Sunny fell over our post & rail fence a while ago in March, and was lame, for about 4 days, plus she had a slightly puffy tendon. It was Friday when we put her on box rest for a few days, phoned the vet Monday and they came out the following day, we got her out and she wasn't lame at all, and her tendon had gone down, and was normal. Vet thought that she must of pulled something.

Copperpot

Visit site
Initially he was only very slighty lame. He almost trotted if off round the field. Then the days he was on the danilon be was sound. Today I would say 5 tenths. Happy to move around and for me to hold all his feet up and have a good prod about. No heat in any hooves or limbs. I did notice an indent in the lame leg on the sole. It's his first summer without front shoes so maybe the hard ground has bruised him. More danilon today. Did try locking him in the woodchip paddock on his own but he was running about and doing more harm! Left him grazing with hay in the paddock in case he wants to go and stand on something soft.