Lame horse

Alice Brown

New User
Visit site
Hi all,

I caught my thoroughbred to go for a lesson about 3 weeks ago. He was suddenly very lame. We got vet and farrier and both presumed a stone bruise so he had poutlice on for 2 weeks and now is shod again.

his lameness had decreased significantly

I went for a ride yesterday but noticed he is lame on left rein of canter. (The right foot as been sore)

now I am freaking out it could be a pedal bone fracture or does it take a long time to heal a stone bruise ?

help please !!

thanks

Tash88

Visit site
I think you need to call your vet back to see him and possibly x ray. It can take a long time for bruising or an abscess (did anything come out onto the poultice?) to heal and it is good that your horse has improved, but I think he needs to see the vet to ensure you are on the right track with him. Best wishes.

Birker2020

Visit site
Hi all,

I caught my thoroughbred to go for a lesson about 3 weeks ago. He was suddenly very lame. We got vet and farrier and both presumed a stone bruise so he had poutlice on for 2 weeks and now is shod again.

his lameness had decreased significantly

I went for a ride yesterday but noticed he is lame on left rein of canter. (The right foot as been sore)

now I am freaking out it could be a pedal bone fracture or does it take a long time to heal a stone bruise ?

help please !!

thanks

Did anything actually come out on the poultice? Could it have been the box rest that helped with the lameness? She may have tweaked the branch if she stepped on uneven ground on stood on a stone.

My horse did her suspensory branch and she was lame on the right rein circle although her injury was on her left leg. This was because she was pushing off on the circle with her outside leg.

Undiagnosed suspensory branch injuries can be very mild and horses can often look sound on them but then with work they become a lot worse. There may be puffiness and slight heat on the inside or outside of the fetlock. Its a very common injury in jumping horses and overstretching and can often be attributed to unbalanced feet, although this wasn't the case with my horse. If it is that then its usually box rest and controlled exercise, icing and LW ultrasound, mine needed PRP but hers was a severe case.

I'm not a vet so the best thing to do is to call your vet out.

Last edited:

Alice Brown

New User
Visit site
Hi, originally the whole sole of foot was very sore.

It was hard to tell if anything came out of poultice but we thought maybe a little bit around the frog.

It is definitely linked to something in the foot.

I noticed that the blood vessels are standing out this leg compared to the normal leg. But they have been even at least a month before he became lame looking at photos from a show. I don't know why this is.

Thanks all

Alice Brown

New User
Visit site
Hi, originally the whole sole of foot was very sore.

It was hard to tell if anything came out of poultice but we thought maybe a little bit around the frog.

It is definitely linked to something in the foot.

I noticed that the blood vessels are standing out this leg compared to the normal leg. But they have been even at least a month before he became lame looking at photos from a show. I don't know why this is.

Thanks all

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Enlarged veins are often a sign of foot trouble, def need vet or maybe get farrier to have another look - X-rays well worth considering - just for your peace of mind if nothing else