Lame in front foot after shoeing

annaverrall

Visit site
About 10 days ago my mare had a new set of shoes on. Within 24hrs i lunged her in the school and she came up lame. Immediately contacted my farrier who said , leave it a few days, i might of shod her tight. He came back a few days later took the front shoes off and said couldnt find anything, possibly be nail bind,but as she is flat footed he shoes her very carefully.
He wanted me to continue to ride her out on flat road, which i have done so. Things didnt change, so i trotted her down the road seeing if things would get worse. They did, she was more lame. Stopped riding. Farrier came up again. Dug about on her sole. She slightly flinched when he pinched by the wall at her toe. But nothing again. Theres been no improvement. I hope it is a brewing abcess , at least they can be dealt with easily, just dont want it be anything else sinister to be occuring.
When you push her sole it is soft in one area. I have been putting her foot in bucket of warm water which seems to help relieve some discomfort. She is walking better but lame when trotted up. I have not stabled her as she is sensible in the field and just grazes. Not sure what else to do.
My vet is up on Thursday to scan her for her seasons. So will get him to check her out. Could it be a bruised sole. Never had this occur any suggestions

Tiffany

Visit site
Could be bruised sole or puncture wound but would have thought your farrier would have picked up either of these problems
confused.gif

annaverrall

Visit site
Thanks for that. I thought he would of found something by now. Thats why i am getting concerned. She has no other problems further up the leg, no lumps, bumps or swellings. Her hooves are of even temperature aswell.
I havnt a clue wats going on, if only horses could speak
confused.gif

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
My daughter's pony did a similar thing, my farrier said he had probably taken a little too much off at the toe, we rested him and the lameness went after a few days.

At the moment he is lame with a bruised sole, so is resting again!!!!

kellyeaton

Visit site
it could be a abbcess brewing or brusied soles give her a couple of days of with soaking her foot in tea tree oil and warm water and some arnica see if that helps!

Stoxx

Visit site
If she is flat footed and has thin soles then perhaps your farrier could put some pads on with the silicon gel to support?

I have EXACTLY the same thing with my boy at the moment. I've had him x-rayed to check there is nothing else wrong but it would seem it is just his thin soles and flat feet. The ground has hardened up recently too so it would all make sense.

Have a chat to your vet and farrier about it - I'm surprised your farrier hasn't mentioned it already to be honest.

K27

Visit site
If she is flat footed it could possibly be as your farrier has suggested that he has shod her a bit tight at the heels , and she is feeling it/concussion related as well, maybe you can get the Vet to check the general balance of the feet and maybe the Vet can speak with your Farrier if it persists so they can work together to make some changes to your horses shoeing if need be so she is comfortable. good luck.

annaverrall

Visit site
Thanks. My farrier has checked everything he was out again yesterday and proded about but she really didnt react to anything he was doing. He has been shoeing her for 12yrs, nothing like this has happened.
We havnt gone down the pad route before as we have never had the need to put them on.
Vet is out tommorow so hope can put my mind at rest.
I will let you no
confused.gif