Lame in hind leg help

maxapple

Visit site
My pony has been lame for three days (well I noticed it tue when I tried to ride)

He's a bit lame in walk but noticeably lame in trot. On Tuesday he really struggled to turn in a circle, today he was better.

Here's the problem...

I can't box rest as he just gets very stressed and box walks which involves him spinning in circles which really won't help, or weaving putting pressure on his legs. At a push he can stay in over night.

I've been turning him out as normal and he's in for a few hours a day. He's in a big paddock with my other gelding and as they are out so much they never Hooley around,they just graze and mooch about. If I kept him in he's much more likely to charge around when he is turned out.

I'll get the vet next week if no improvement but has anyone else got a horse who won't cope with box rest who has had a lameness issue & what did u do?

Would anyone advise giving him some dannilon?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Bute or Danilon, calmer and make his stable interesting. Mine has a treat ball which he loves and I eventually put up an anti weave grille because he got very antsy in there. This has calmed him down and now he no longer needs the insert.

I think boxrest is essential. If it's a serious injury, he might need to be restricted. Don't suppose you could section off his field to minimise his movement?

Patterdale

Visit site
Tbh if I have something slightly lame with no clear cause, as long as its not a complete nutcase I find it is much better to leave them out in their normal routine, particularly if it weaves.
If I'm leaving something out though with slight lameness I definitely wouldn't give any bute or danilon, as if you mask the pain then he may feel that he CAN run around.
Pain is natures way of making an animal take it easy.

maxapple

Visit site
Nope - no heat or swelling or cuts. He spooked out riding on sun on a very stony path, span and took off, so I'm wondering if he may have pulled something perhaps in his hip or has a bruised sole.

CT - box rest really is an impossibility. He gets so stressed and will box walk, weave constantly and run at the door, no matter what I do. Same with a small paddock. It's a nightmare. :( he is ridiculously attached to my other gelding so would tolerate it for a short time (as in a day or two) if I kept his friend in next door but that's it. And that's not an option really as my tb is 19 and broke his leg 2 years ago so needs to be out and moving. I'm in a no win situation. If it was a serious injury (everything crossed its not) we'd be in big trouble.

I'm an expert on box rest having had my other boy with a broken leg and being on it for 7 months so know every possible trick to make it less tedious, but none of them work with my pony. :( bit stuck really.

maxapple

Visit site
Patter dale - I agree. He's not running round at all in his field - they just mooch and graze together. Theres only two other horses next door out at night so it's all calm and quiet and he'll come in tomorrow for a bit longer as the weather is horrid.

Just to add to my difficulties he also has sweet itch which gets worse when he's stressed, so if he's in he just rubs himself until he bleeds too. Poor little man. :(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I used to have a horse that was not suitable to box rest. When she hurt a tendon she was successfully rehabilitated by using electric fence to make her a small turn out area in her normal paddock.

AmiRobertson

Visit site
A girl on my yard has this problem. Her mare has pulled a muscle in her pelvis. This mare will not stay in her stable she has jumped her stable with and without a grill :( so the vet has told her to keep her out 24/7 but no work for 8 weeks. She much much calmer and happier in the field so that is the best place for her. I would keep normal routine and get the vet out to have a look they will have the best advice for you.
Best of luck and I hope your horse is ok