lame in tendon sheaf

JimmyLane

New User
Visit site
Hello
I'm new here and looking for advice
My horse is slightly lame having speak ed his superficial tendon iin his tendon sheaf. He has been scanned and the vet says controlled exercise in hand. His windfalls come up quickly walking but go down after 15 minutes. He seems to be moving forward but then has a setback if we over do it. Its been nearly 5 months now.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what did you do

Thanks

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Hello
I'm new here and looking for advice
My horse is slightly lame having speak ed his superficial tendon iin his tendon sheaf. He has been scanned and the vet says controlled exercise in hand. His windfalls come up quickly walking but go down after 15 minutes. He seems to be moving forward but then has a setback if we over do it. Its been nearly 5 months now.

Has anyone had a similar experience and what did you do

Thanks
My horse aggravated her tendon sheath on a hind leg. The sheath was injected with what i think from memory was HA (hylauronic acid) and a corticosteroid. Short box rest followed by contolled exercise plan in hand and then ridden with quiet turnout.

JimmyLane

New User
Visit site
My horse aggravated her tendon sheath on a hind leg. The sheath was injected with what i think from memory was HA (hylauronic acid) and a corticosteroid. Short box rest followed by contolled exercise plan in hand and then ridden with quiet turnout.
Thank you for your reply
He has had the injection and is starting to come sound. I moved stables a couple of months ago where there are more options for rest.
We are walking in hand for 30 minutes now.
Can you remember how long it all took to recover please

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Thank you for your reply
He has had the injection and is starting to come sound. I moved stables a couple of months ago where there are more options for rest.
We are walking in hand for 30 minutes now.
Can you remember how long it all took to recover please
I believe she needed around 5 weeks box rest. Then controlled exercise i.e horsewalker, in hand walking, etc leading eventually to walking under saddle, trotting for a few minutes in a gradual build up over weeks. From distant memory I would say it was around 2 months from diagnosis to being back in full work.

JimmyLane

New User
Visit site
Thank you for your reply
He is coming sound now but I didn't box rest at the beginning and it's a front leg.
We're walking in hand so just need to build it up hopefully

Thanks again

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A friend's horse remained unsound until she put him on MSM. He needed the anti inflammatory action of it to stop the tendon rubbing inside the sheath.

Is your horse currently on restricted turnout, or is it having a run about and tweaking itself again?

JimmyLane

New User
Visit site
A friend's horse remained unsound until she put him on MSM. He needed the anti inflammatory action of it to stop the tendon rubbing inside the sheath.

Is your horse currently on restricted turnout, or is it having a run about and tweaking itself again?
Hello
I've got him on in hand exercise and grazing. He's having 2 scoops of msm a day.
I've spoken to the vet and he says I could have a steroid injection into the tendon but it's only slight he says
The windfalls come up ever so hard though when he walks. I'm walking him in medicine boots and then I put a cold bandage on after and they go down

ycbm

Visit site
What do you mean you've got him on grazing? In hand grazing ? Can he run about and hurt the tendon again when he is grazing?

I think you mean windgalls, your autocorrect is giving you apples 🙂

ycbm

Visit site
You need another scan to find out what is going on.

Windgalls are harmless slight soft fillings just above the fetlocks. That doesn't sound like what you have going on here.

JimmyLane

New User
Visit site
What do you mean you've got him on grazing? In hand grazing ? Can he run about and hurt the tendon again when he is grazing?

I think you mean windgalls, your autocorrect is giving you apples 🙂
He's grazing in hand. He's not running about

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

I agree. After 5 months, and still lame, I’d be requesting another scan.

It could be the windgalls causing a problem, or the tendon sheath itself. But either way it’s time for another look.

JimmyLane

New User
Visit site

Windgalls are harmless slight soft fillings just above the fetlocks. That doesn't sound like what you have going on here.
I'll ring the vet and see what he says. Fluid is coming from somewhere

JimmyLane

New User
Visit site
Its 6 weeks since the last scan but it all started just before Christmas
He is getting better but the windfall swelling with exercise looks awful

ycbm

Visit site
Its 6 weeks since the last scan but it all started just before Christmas
He is getting better but the windfall swelling with exercise looks awful

It's windGalls.

And what you are describing is inflammation from tendon damage, not windgalls.

Filling should reduce with exercise, not be caused by it. Something is wrong and I would want another scan and/or different treatment.

Last edited:

JimmyLane

New User
Visit site
I think that but 2 vets have said windgalls. The blacksmith has said windgalls and that they might never go. A third vet has said inflamatory response to exercise. He is the partner of the vet i'm using. They all say in hand controlled exercise.