Lame or sound? a little vid

Jesstickle

Visit site
Video quality isn't brilliant so apologies for that. What do you all think. I am thinking that perhaps she isn't quite right but thought I'd open it up to the floor. We are particularly interested in the off hind although all comments welcome.

For those who don't know about her, the vet is well aware of her so I am not being negligent by asking on here. Am just asking on how she looks today.

O also please excuse me squeaking/making silly noises and the poor standard of lunging. It isn't easy to lunge and record at the same time!

http://s1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/jesstickle/?action=view&current=VID00002.mp4

ThePony

Visit site
def a not rightness to that off hind - I wonder about something higher up than the leg? Perhaps sacro iliac? Does she normally hold through her back like that (though it is a bit hard to see on the vid), she looks like she isn't working through her back and is holding it. Does she have back tightness/problems?
How is she on a hard surface?
Interested to know the vets opinion?

Jesstickle

Visit site
I should explain. She is only three so doesn't work nicely on the lunge as yet. she has only lunged about 20 times in her whole life to date. it is all very new to her which probably explains the uptight look. Especially as it was very windy today!

It is her hock which is suspect. But more due to the swelling which stops it bending properly than the fact she is lame. If that makes sense?!

TallulahBright

Visit site
I'd say not right. Have you had any investigations/ nerve block done on the stifle? I am also a member of the TB injury hotline club- also 3 yr old. High maintenance but worth it!! Think my vet rubs his hands in a big pot of glee when he sees my number come up on his phone, wouldn't be surprised if i have my own ringtone!!! Good luck with this....

Jesstickle

Visit site
That is what I see too M. Basically I am debating how much to do with her. She is meant to be working (vets advice) to try and bring the swelling down but I don't want to lunge her every day as she will be as bored as a bored thing. She's quite a bright one unfortunately. Which leaves me with the conundrum of what else to do to introduce variety. She has loose jumped in the past which she quite likes but I don't want to ask her to do anything which is actually going to hurt her. I long reigned her yesterday in her tack for the first time so will try and take her for a pootle once she has the knack but in the mean time I just don't want to go in circles all the time!

I should add that she is happy to absolutely hoon round her field and skid to a stop over and over so she can't be that sore I suppose.

Bleddy creature. I just want to get on and back the damn thing now!

Jesstickle

Visit site
Sorry, another edit.

It is definitely her hock. She had surgery on it a couple of months ago and the swelling is still pretty awful. Hence not lame but not quite right either. I dunno. Vet seems to think she isn't too bad.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Something not right there, but doesn't look lame as such from the vid.

Can you walk her out on the roads in hand? The movement in walk will be enough to reduce the swelling, and I'm a big believer in slow steady work on hard surfaces for most lameness issues. Leading her out/long reining her on the roads (if possible) will be great when she's eventually hacked out (if you do that!). Plus you can't lunge for long periods, and a nice long walk out on the roads (obviously not in this pants weather if she's not used to it) will be good to keep her interested too :)

kimthetim

Visit site
my opinion is she is off in her gait! very slight but still there , why not long rein out hacks ect? obviously with a leader as she is young this should strenghthen the muscles in the back end??? as well as give her variety xxxx

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I'd also be tempted to have a physio check her over, physio work will help loosed up any tension that may have been caused by her compensating with her stiffness :)

dafthoss

Visit site
I'd say not quite right but it looks like it's just from where she can't move it fully. I hate it when they arnt right as it's so easy to convince your self they are lame.

How about ride and lead if bh would be a good role model? Or poles might keep her brain busy?

Jesstickle

Visit site
Will try and get her out hacking but my out riding is horrific.

Nightmare horse! If she doesn't come right I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with her.

ThePony

Visit site
I should explain. She is only three so doesn't work nicely on the lunge as yet. she has only lunged about 20 times in her whole life to date. it is all very new to her which probably explains the uptight look. Especially as it was very windy today!

lol, that might explain the tension thing then!

Can you lead her out in hand to help with her movement? Is she turned out 24/7? I expect that would do alot of good and ensure that she doesn't just stand and get stiff.
Echo what one of the other posters said about a physio/mc tim - if she is moving a little off then it is easy for a stiffness to develop as she learns to avoid working properly as it is difficult.

Pretty girl though, worth the stress!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Having read the comments before looking at the video, she's not as bad as I expected, especially considering what has happened to her hock. :)

Could you teach her to pony from BH? If your hacking is terrible, could you just ride and lead around a field or school? It could be another thing to add to the mix along with long-reining, lunging, loose schooling and leading out. :)

Jesstickle

Visit site
Fear not. They physio is also intimately involved. Sigh. And yep, she's out 24/7 at the moment.

And yes, she is pretty. She was supposed to be my show horse but that has all gone out of the window now as she has a permanently fat hock and is covered in scars. Now I just want her to come sound enough to do any sort of a job at all. On days like today I get all pessimistic and think she'll never come right. It's already been over 6 months and it was such a nothing little wound. :(

Jesstickle

Visit site
Having read the comments before looking at the video, she's not as bad as I expected, especially considering what has happened to her hock. :)

Could you teach her to pony from BH? If your hacking is terrible, could you just ride and lead around a field or school? It could be another thing to add to the mix along with long-reining, lunging, loose schooling and leading out. :)

Ah thanks. That is what the vet says but she is dragging the toe ever so slightly and I notice it!

I would think she'd pony along side BH happily enough. Perhaps I'll have a go tomorrow and see what she does. I did think about it once before but never got round to teaching her.

MiCsarah

Visit site
I wouldnt say lame as such, more stiffness. Which could come from the swelling. All doesnt help with her looking so tense either. Lovely mare though

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Ah thanks. That is what the vet says but she is dragging the toe ever so slightly and I notice it!

Think positively! It's not surprising that she's still dragging her toe a bit - her hock is far too big for her to bend it properly. Movement and time are what she needs.

Just so that you know you aren't alone... my TB cut her shoulder (teeny-tiny) and the next day she had a huuuuuge heamotoma (sp?) between her front legs. It was far bigger and took far longer to go, than the one my filly had after she needed to be stapled up after crashing through a fence.

TallulahBright

Visit site
Don't lose heart!! Been through loads of stuff with my girl, fractured leg, meniscus tear on stifle, suspected this and that, abscesses in feet (I am poulticing queen!) but started her long reining and lightly backed her this summer- before anyone jumps on me the vet suggested to check her back not a long term problem. She has been a dream so far and well worth the aggro. She is now happily turned away until next year (although another abscess currently).

Jesstickle

Visit site
Ok. Will stop feeling sorry for myself now :)

It's a good job I like her a lot or I could get quite bored of her constantly broken status!

Miss L Toe

Visit site
turn her away, and keep her moving naturally, I can only think it can do her harm keeping her stabled, and working fast on a tight circle, and if she is out she may settle down more.
Give her some joint supplement and linseed meal along with her sugar beet mash

Last edited:

abitodd

www.musicfordressage.net
She looks lovely and you've got loads of time because she's only a baby.
Agree with the others. Aviod circles.Do loads of walking. And if you can turn her out on a hill she will build up the muscle to support her joints.

TallulahBright

Visit site
You're allowed to feel sorry for yourself! I've wondered at various stages if it's all worth it (financial desperation, time desperation, heartache) but the feeling of being on board and her being all I've hoped for was amazing - and she has responded really well to doing some work. I guess some of us are just meant to have complicated horses???

Jesstickle

Visit site
TallulahBright, I think it was just that I've ridden my luck long enough. I've always had TBs and they've never had any serious problems. It was bound to happen eventually that one of them would go kaput and live up to the stereotype!

Allover

Visit site
I would be very cautious about lunging a 3yr old with an existing condition, have you spoken to the vet about turning her away and what the prognosis would be come spring as opposed to what you are doing with her now? :)