Lame steps on corners of one rein?

Charla

Visit site
Has anyone ever experienced lame steps in front, on corners of one rein?
I’ve had the vet out to examine her. Told she is sound walking and trotting on a straight line and on a concrete circle. But has loose stifles. You can just about make out some odd steps when lunging in trot in the school, but not consistent and I was told by the vet to just get on and work her.
When riding, she feels sound, except on the left rein, round the corners I feel the odd few lame steps on the left fore. This improves if I pick her up through the shoulder and get more inside bend, which she has a tendency to drop on that rein. She’s only young, not been in work consistently yet.
Instructor thinks it’s a balance/training issue rather than anything else. I’m so concerned as read so many sinister things.
It started about 2 weeks ago that I noticed, after having 4 weeks off work with saddle issues.
I’m baffled!

SpringArising

Visit site
I actually had the same thing (on the left as well, funnily enough) about a year ago. It was nigh on impossible to spot/feel, but I was sure something just felt a tiny bit off on the left rein, and only on one particular surface. He was an extremely unfit 4 y/o at this point and I wasn't riding him into a contact at all, as I started him doing nothing but long and low on an extremely loose rein.

I spoke with my vet and a few experienced people whose opinion I value and they all felt it was most likely a schooling issue and that because it was so slight, it was more beneficial to work him and see what happened. If it was a lameness of sorts, it would only get worse, and if a schooling issue, it would get better over time.

I could still see virtually nothing at this point so also wondered if I was just imagining things - no one else could see it either.

Anyway, not to ramble but don't worry too much. I found that with consistent work and getting him fit, along with a saddle check and a few massage and chiro appointments it completely went. You have to remember that horses, like us, will have niggles, be stiff and sore some days and might not be 100% on both sides all the time. My left shoulder is permanently on fire for a start...

Charla

Visit site
Thank you SpringArising. My next call with be to get the physio out for some good treatments and continue working her. Your story sounds positive and I hope this improves also as it’s so minute. Most people feel I’m making a fuss, but an experienced eye can see it and I can certainly feel it! Fingers crossed.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yes I have seen almost exactly the same thing except it came up on the right fore leg when it was on the outside of the circle .
Very subtle very intermittent.
It blocked to that foot then a very clever vet blocked half the foot only and we managed to narrow it down to the outside of the foot .
It was a injury to the DDFT .
The horse had shoes removed twelve weeks box rest a barefoot and very controlled return to work .
I think we lead out for grass right the way through the box rest .

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Has anyone ever experienced lame steps in front, on corners of one rein?
I’ve had the vet out to examine her. Told she is sound walking and trotting on a straight line and on a concrete circle. But has loose stifles. You can just about make out some odd steps when lunging in trot in the school, but not consistent and I was told by the vet to just get on and work her.
When riding, she feels sound, except on the left rein, round the corners I feel the odd few lame steps on the left fore. This improves if I pick her up through the shoulder and get more inside bend, which she has a tendency to drop on that rein. She’s only young, not been in work consistently yet.
Instructor thinks it’s a balance/training issue rather than anything else. I’m so concerned as read so many sinister things.
It started about 2 weeks ago that I noticed, after having 4 weeks off work with saddle issues.
I’m baffled!
Mine had this when she did a suspensory branch, was lame on right rein circle although injury was on n/f.