Lame .... still ... any ideas??

eventergirl87

Visit site
mid oct dennis went lame (was doing canter work he bucked just because lol! put on other rein and was lame!) he was seen by vets at college .... when to their hosp xrays taken nothing really seen nerve blocked to mid cannon came pretty much sound

then was agreed hed go to the animal health trust bk home to see sue dison he was bone scanned and scanned tendon wise and nothing still found. Next step was MRI mum was unsure whether to put dennis thru this spoke to my trainer and was desised to just try some rest.

Was rested for 3 months. Tried to lunge to see (wasnt ever really lame lame on the straight) and he was a loone and tried to basically kill us
blush.gif
obv felt well! Looked sound but thought maybe just adrenline and excitment so tried undersaddle (safer for all) and he felt more lame than he did to begin with.

Now after xmas etc..... we cant afford an MRI scan
frown.gif
not really sure where to go ....... have the abilty to go to rossdales just have another opinion

any ideas / what would you do ?? (oh this is my 6 yr old eventer btw)

cookies if you got this far

the watcher

Visit site
Lame in front or behind?
Lameness behind opens up all kind of possibilities with the pelvis, spine, even the neck.
In front I guess the next point to investigate is the shoulder if you are happy all the tests so far have eliminated leg and foot.

eventergirl87

Visit site
infront

yeah only thing that worrys me is nerve block of mid cannon he was sound (well 3 months ago! lol!)

god knows with horses!

oooh to begin with he was only 1/10 - 1/5th lame wouldnt know now as only felt it not saw but felt worse

kerilli

Visit site
cheapest solutions: i'd get a mctimoney chiro to check him out.
i'd get a full lameness work-up done, to determine exactly where the problem is.
otherwise, i'd go for good old Dr Green - chuck him out in the field for a year if you can afford to. a LOT of problems come right with rest.

eventergirl87

Visit site
A mctimoney cant treat him properly (hes been beaten in the past and is very weary of strangers etc... )
frown.gif

hes had full lameness work up etc... if you read top you'll see hes been scanned twice xrayed, bone scanned

yeah others have said full year out ...... only thing is we dont have the land at home.

its never easy! lol!

Andalucian

Visit site
If its front and nerve blocks to cannon made him sound then you can rule out the rest of the body and concentrate on the cannon bone downwards.

Nothing found on scans so the bones/joints are OK so this leaves you with tissue damage of some sort.

I'd get more nerve blocks done lower so you could isolate where the pain is. If its in the feet I'd get some second opinions on his balance/shoeing/the way his feet meet the ground and go from there.