Lame when lunged on hard ground

picolenicole

Visit site
Ok long story short (I hope)

9 weeks ago King got his right hind wrapped up in his rug, no heat, no swelling and no marks (coat was flat) no lameness

Got worse three days after so stopped ridding and got his back lady out, 99% sure soft muscle. Did the stretches and bum rubs that she told me to.

Try ridding two weeks after back lady and he's still not right ( RI said don't ride get him to a vet)

See vet, sound on straight when trotted up, failed flexion test on hind left but vet said was only 2 steps nothing to worry about. Lunged on hard ground slightly lame front left, vet said not lame enough to do anything with. Ride like normal for two weeks then ring to let her know how he is.

Rang still sound ridden and trotted up on straight but still same lameness on front left when lunged on hard ground.

Vet came out yesterday, nerve blocked front left lameness is in hoof. She now wants to X-ray him (which he's booked in for) but I don't understand.... Why does he need all this investigation when he seams sound for what I want to do (hacking, schooling once a week, local showing, fun rides and very occasionally jumping nothing higher than 55cm)

Am I mean for not wanting to investigate? What if he is in some pain, he doesn't show pain until its really painful. And am I asking for more trouble investigating a lameness that only shows on a lunge on hard ground??

PLEASE someone give me a slap, and explain to me what it means (lameness then no lameness) and what would you do?

Thanks for reading and if you answer I have chocolate biscuits :)

be positive

Visit site
The investigations will most likely show some degree of arthritis or changes to the bones in the foot, it may be soft tissue which will not show on xray or possibly an inbalance in some way any of which could have a serious impact on him in the future, by finding out what is wrong at this stage could mean he stays properly sound for the long term and he gets the appropriate treatment.

If you leave it and just keep working him, even at a low level he may become worse over the next few months, leaving if you are insured will also mean you may not be able to claim in the future as it will be considered to be an ongoing problem not a new one next time around.

warmbloodcrazy

Visit site
I agree... he may be only slightly lame now.. but if you leave it and don't investigate it could turn into a big problem in the future. Then you will kick yourself for not sorting it out sooner. It may be something minor that can be sorted easily and i'm sure it is but it will give you piece of mind to know and potatntially stop your horse from being in pain in the future.

Good luck

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
but he isn't sound he is lame on a circle which nerve blocks to the hoof- So yes it is unfair on him not to investigate and continue to work him as you wish.

picolenicole

Visit site
That's all what I thought, as well. Think I just needed someone to say the same, as friends and family are saying leave him he'll be ok. It would be my luck it gets worse, hence why I have him booked in for X-rays just needed some back up that I'm doing the right thing. Will see what happens next Thursday after X-ray.

Thank you for answering I feel a little less lost and confused now ;)

jessieblue

Visit site
Hi, I have very similar problem with my horse. Very vague and subtle lameness. Initially I noticed he was uncomfortable turning tightly on the concrete, fine in stable in field etc just on the concrete. Very slight too. I rested and watched and he never really got any better or worse. Suspected low grade laminitis due to lots of grass, but measures to restrict diet didnt seem to make much difference. Vet came to do workup and slightly lame both fronts lunged in circle on the hard. Blocked out to the hooves. Nothing on x rays so goes for MRI scan next tuesday. Must be some kind of soft tissue damage, but lord knows how as he was on box rest due to an illness when first noticed this lameness!! Horses eh?? I agree, I havent been working him although he is sound in straight line after flexions lunged on soft etc. Never the less he obviously has foot pain of some sort and I wouldnt like to think I was riding a horse in any kind of pain, so for me its a no brainer. Whether I ever get to the bottom of this, I dont know and I have completely given up on my competition diary this year. Wish you luck with him, can you please let us know what x rays show?? It will be interesting for someone like me with similar issues and no clue what the problem is!

fairyclare

Visit site
Hi, I have very similar problem with my horse. Very vague and subtle lameness. Initially I noticed he was uncomfortable turning tightly on the concrete, fine in stable in field etc just on the concrete. Very slight too. I rested and watched and he never really got any better or worse. Suspected low grade laminitis due to lots of grass, but measures to restrict diet didnt seem to make much difference. Vet came to do workup and slightly lame both fronts lunged in circle on the hard. Blocked out to the hooves. Nothing on x rays so goes for MRI scan next tuesday. Must be some kind of soft tissue damage, but lord knows how as he was on box rest due to an illness when first noticed this lameness!! Horses eh?? I agree, I havent been working him although he is sound in straight line after flexions lunged on soft etc. Never the less he obviously has foot pain of some sort and I wouldnt like to think I was riding a horse in any kind of pain, so for me its a no brainer. Whether I ever get to the bottom of this, I dont know and I have completely given up on my competition diary this year. Wish you luck with him, can you please let us know what x rays show?? It will be interesting for someone like me with similar issues and no clue what the problem is!

This is my horse to a T!
First thoughts by vet and farrier was lami, had a lameness work up and some rest, vet spoke of MRI however, due to her age (20) and the cost I decided to go down the route of medicate the joints and Tildren, not MRI (although I know what I am like and expect I will have a light bulb moment and ring the vet 1 morning and ask to be referred to Rossdales for an MRI!!!!)
Initially the vet wanted pads and packing in her shoes but I have since taken those off and am managing her barefoot.
She isn't 100% sound on a tight circle on the concrete but vet is happy that she is comfortable for hacking and some work on a surface.
I will be interested to hear what the MRI results come back as on your horse Jessieblue.

jessieblue

Visit site
Yes it does sound similar. I have been trying to put off the dreaded MRI too as I am going to have to self pay due to insurance claims already had which included the first onset of this lameness as part of a totally unrelated illness! Long complicated story. However, its driving me mad not knowing whats wrong and seemingly not getting any further forward. He is only 9, so it is a real shame as he was a fantastic BE eventer, but lameness is lameness even when very subtle. My farrier also tried pads and filler, made no difference and I have also taken his shoes off now as I just feel having metal nailed into an inflamed foot cant be very helpful. Only barefoot for 1 week so early days, he is ok on smooth surfaces but a bit sore over stomes. I will report back on mri results, hoping its not too grim!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Ok long story short (I hope)

Am I mean for not wanting to investigate? What if he is in some pain, he doesn't show pain until its really painful. And am I asking for more trouble investigating a lameness that only shows on a lunge on hard ground??

PLEASE someone give me a slap, and explain to me what it means (lameness then no lameness) and what would you do?

Your horse is not sound enough for any of those activities you listed. He has foot pain and is very stoic. Yes, you should investigate.

He is also rather overweight from what I can tell in your banner. This will not be helping. I would suspect LGL. Xrays can be useful, but only if they actually show something. Often a horse can be suffering from LGL without any rotation or sinkage.

Hi, I have very similar problem with my horse. Very vague and subtle lameness. Initially I noticed he was uncomfortable turning tightly on the concrete, fine in stable in field etc just on the concrete. Very slight too. I rested and watched and he never really got any better or worse. Suspected low grade laminitis due to lots of grass, but measures to restrict diet didnt seem to make much difference. Vet came to do workup and slightly lame both fronts lunged in circle on the hard. Blocked out to the hooves. Nothing on x rays so goes for MRI scan next tuesday. Must be some kind of soft tissue damage, but lord knows how as he was on box rest due to an illness when first noticed this lameness!!

Just because nothing showed on xrays, does not mean it is not laminitis. Horses can get laminitis DUE to being on box rest. Also, some medications such as steroids can cause it, as can hay or haylage that is too 'good'.

This is my horse to a T!
First thoughts by vet and farrier was lami, had a lameness work up and some rest, vet spoke of MRI however, due to her age (20) and the cost I decided to go down the route of medicate the joints and Tildren, not MRI (although I know what I am like and expect I will have a light bulb moment and ring the vet 1 morning and ask to be referred to Rossdales for an MRI!!!!)
Initially the vet wanted pads and packing in her shoes but I have since taken those off and am managing her barefoot.
She isn't 100% sound on a tight circle on the concrete but vet is happy that she is comfortable for hacking and some work on a surface.
I will be interested to hear what the MRI results come back as on your horse Jessieblue.

From what you describe, and her age, I would still suspect LGL.