Lame Yearling...

rach1984horse

Visit site
ON Monday got a phone call to say my Highland yearling looked a little lame. Went up at night time and after a hunt about found her lying in the mud.

Took her up and put her in a stable for the night so I could ahve a better look at her in the morning in day light as there was no cuts or wounds on her legs.

When I brought her in on Monday night her back leg was warm just below the hock, and this was the leg she was holding up.

Now all of her feet feel warm. Any sudgestions as to what the problem could be. Am I right in thinking laminitis. Thought she had just pulled something in her back leg at first. But now starting to change my mind as all her feet are warm.

Any sudgestions? Going to call vet if there's no improvement when I go up tonight.

Elmere

Visit site
Its probably more likelt to be a pulled muscle especially if she's been playing or theres a bit of mud in the field and she may have slipped, i just leave them for a few days, it helps to walk out and strech it, if it doesn't start to improve then ring the vet
wink.gif

airedale

Visit site
if she is better with rest in a stable then it is probably 'mechanical' - ie a sprain or strain or slip

if she's no better in the stable for a day then it's more likely to be an infection, puncture, mudfever, whatever and teh vet should be called

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Anything that is bad enough to make a horse lie down to rest needs the vet asap.
It sounds like laminitis if she was taking the weight off her feet, but in your position I would call the vet. (and be very careful what I fed her too just incase)
The fact her feet feel warm is a warning sign that shouldn't be ignored.

rach1984horse

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Checked her tonight and feet aren't warm anymore.

She's not been getting more than hay just incase it was anything like laminitis. She was bright enough tonight to try her trick of climbing up into her feed manger (something I've been trying to get her out of doing).

Going to keep her in until the weekend to be on the safe side. And keep going with wee walks and cold hose as it seems to be working. Field is quite boggy near the gate, so think she's probably been running about or she's done it charging up to get her tea.

YO is v.experienced as well and has had a look at her. She's recomended staying in untill Saturday night as it should help.

If I notice anything I'm not happy with though will be calling vet asap. Am lucky that ponies are kept on vets way into work, so easy enough for him to pop in if there's anything am not sure about.