lame....

Hemirjtm

Visit site
After the responses to my previous post i'm a bit worried....

I was told my horse had windgalls and advised to buy some boots to help with them, He was lame for about a week then i started to ride him again, I put the boots on and he didn't go lame again, until i forgot to put them on, he went lame for a few days and then was back to normal...I havn't forgotten to put the boots on since but now i'm worried as i've sice learned that windgalls should only cause lameness when 'growing/appearing' after that they should be ok. My boy isn't.

Could this be due to another problem? Should his legs be bandaged at night / during the day. He lives out all year round so it would be difficult to bandage. Please help as i'm now worried and confused
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Fiona

Visit site
Someone in your other post suggested magnetic wraps, but that they are not suitable for turnout. If your horse is out 24/7 and you wanted to try magnetic therapy (supposed to work by increasing the circulation, though not proved scientifically they have still helped lots of animals) you could try the magnetic straps from www.magnetic.uk.com as they can be worn in the field and don't make the legs sweat.
Good luck
Fiona

Patches

Visit site
Yes. I had magnetic wraps for my horse but they were the type not suitable for turnout. They really did seem to help give him some comfort.

Perhaps a word with the vet would be wise though, if nothing else it'd put your mind at rest to know what you're dealing with.

annie02

Visit site
Something else to consider is that the boots are helping with another problem, like clipping himself while you are riding. In which case the boots are protecting his legs and keeping him from getting sore. Some horses will move slightly different when ridden than out on their own. Maybe he wacks his legs when you ride but not when he is turned hence the boots help.

Is there still a fluid build up in his legs or has it gone away?

annie02

Visit site
He could travel to close together, hitting his leg with the opposite foot or fetlock. There isnt much meat on that part of the leg so its bone hitting bone which could be uncomfortable.

Try and take a video with and with out the boots see if you can notice a difference in how he moves. It might be something as simple as that.

I would be more concerned if the swelling is hard. In most cases windgulls/windpuffs (however you want to refer to it) or simply stocking up is "soft" or "squishy" to the touch. If it is hard it may be something else.

Hemirjtm

Visit site
ok thank you....

I rode him without his boots on yesterday and he went lame but this morning I trotted him up and there is no lameness....strange....did hose them down after yesterday, will ride him later to see what happens, as he isn't lame at the moment.

simone666

Visit site
just been reading your posts, my mare was lame on and off for ages, we tried everything with her, magnetic boots, bandages on legs in evenin, vet called on numerous occations, just stratch his head and couldnt find the problem, x rays, nothings showed up, bloody nightmare, then my sister sugested changing her diet to a oil diet, 20% oil in feed every day, she improved within weeks and has not been lame since, no problems at all, i was very impressed with it and its not that expensive, have told loads of people and they have tried it as well and it does help???