Lame

Jess99

New User
Visit site
My 20 year old mare appears to be lame. She hasn’t moved for 48 hours.

I’ve had the vet out, however they are unable to find a diagnosis. They have suggested putting her down, but I’m worried because where as she’s old I have a feeling rather than doing examinations to find out, they would prefer to go for the easiest option which would be to put her to sleep . Her appetite seems to be perfectly fine, it’s just that she hasn’t moved and we can’t get her leg up to have a proper look. She does appear to be in some pain.

Is there anyone that’s able to give any ideas on what could possibly be wrong and what they would suggest on doing?

Jess99

New User
Visit site
Thank you! just needed another opinion. I’ve got the vet coming tomorrow to have one last check for any improvements, then the decision will be made

Nari

Visit site
If she's that bad I can see where your vet is coming from BUT you sound like you don't think they've even tried to diagnose. Is the vet who's coming tomorrow from a different practice?

Is it just the one leg that she won't lift? If so there's a strong chance the problem is the opposite leg. What examination did the vet do?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Did the vet provide any painkillers? So that it might faciliate an examination of the leg/opposite leg?

I'm glad a different vet is coming out, but I would be very concerned for a horse not moving.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Vets put food on the table by doing stuff if they took the easy option they would go out of business .
If they suggest PTS I would not be delaying .

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Does your horse have other health issues? Is she still being used before this recent lameness showed itself? If this is the only problem I have to say I would be questioning a knee jerk PTS decision after just 2 days of lameness from your vet. After all, some barely move for days with a hoof abscess and some other very curable conditions too.

20 is not old in the grand scheme of horse ownership and many go on for a lot longer than this still enjoying their life and giving their owners pleasure.

IMO you either have need of a second vets opinion or you are not telling us the whole story?

Last edited:

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
My 20 year old mare appears to be lame. She hasn’t moved for 48 hours.

I’ve had the vet out, however they are unable to find a diagnosis. They have suggested putting her down, but I’m worried because where as she’s old I have a feeling rather than doing examinations to find out, they would prefer to go for the easiest option which would be to put her to sleep . Her appetite seems to be perfectly fine, it’s just that she hasn’t moved and we can’t get her leg up to have a proper look. She does appear to be in some pain.

Is there anyone that’s able to give any ideas on what could possibly be wrong and what they would suggest on doing?

This sounds very odd. Are you in the UK / Ireland? Unless you are leaving out a lot of details, for instance if your mare already has serious health conditions that would explain a leap to PTS or the vet firmly believes it to be something (e.g. broken pedal bone) but can't actually diagnose without x-rays etc, I would be getting a second opinion from another vet (ASAP).

My older horse was badly lame and unable to move or raise the other 3 legs back in October (no problem raising the lame leg for investigation). Vet diagnosed the problem within a few minutes (severe bruising, especially to one heel), and had him walking about and happier within about 6 hours of starting treatment. He had some complications but was sound within about 3 weeks of the problem starting.

Pc2003

Visit site
Severe lameness could be something just like an abscess? Easily dealt with but causes severe lameness.
Do you mean she literally cannot move? How did you come across her being so lame?

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I do hope you have managed to read all the replies since the first reply and not made a decision based on that.

She could have a massive nail in her foot, or an abscess or a fracture, a torn ligament among other things. It could well be the opposite leg that she can't bear weight on, although I would have thought that the vet would have already worked that out. If she was resenting having her leg lifted for examination why on earth didn't the vet give her a painkiller so he could examine her?

Under NO circumstances would I have my old girl PTS unless the vet had categorically ruled out exactly why she can't 'move'. Like others have said, 20 years of age is no age these days for a horse.

Please update us all how you get on today. Fingers crossed its something easily fixable.