Lameness due to Laziness?

jcberry

Visit site
A bit of history first....
Last summer oscar was diagnosed by the vvet as having sidebones, he had to have 9 months off for them to grow.
We started riding again in the autumn when he was sound and he has been sound everscince and we have been doing fun rides, sj etc...

I had my lesson today and after my instructor thought he looked ever so slightly lame on the left rein. As he got going about 10 mins into the lesson he looked completely fine all the way through the rest. My instructor even got on did trot and canter work, and he looked as sound as anything.

Oscar IS a very lazy horse and tends to be quite heaviy on his front legs and he suggested that he might be resisting to do the work or just unbalanced....but he was only lame on one leg, i say lame, he wasnt nodding his head, and if you werent concentrating on his front legs quite severly you would think he was totaly sound, So its not terrible.

I just wandered if anyone had any ideas about it?
Sorry its a bit of a ramble
crazy.gif

xxx

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Stiffness? When olympic comes out of his box he's always stiff in front and sometimes looks iffy but is fine once he's walked it off.

Jemayni

Visit site
Well from my own experiences, I would think your horse may be beginning to go lame. Chance (who has spent more than most on box rest,) never goes lame overnight, but usually over a period of about 3 weeks. Eventually he goes properrly lame opposed to pottery.

Often they will work through a lameness just by pushing them on and working them, they supple up a little bit & appear sound. Please remember Im only guessing, but Id be tempted to say this is what your doing. Personally Im always reluctant to work him through lameness, as ultimately he just ends up lame anyway.

All the best xx

I suggest after he has stood in for a while, you trot him up on concrete & have a good look at him, particularly on the turns; as any lameness will be more evident on concrete.

pixiebee

Visit site
could be a large number of things really. some horse are stiff on one side so until warmed up look lame, others may be actually lame. if he had spent a long time in the box just before the lesson then id say possible stiffness but if bought in from a field and looked a bit iffy id say lameness. id continue as you are but watch very carefully and if it apperas to get worse or not get better then id say rest him.

Andelusional

Visit site
Might be a bridle lameness due to not stepping evenly into the bridle. We hve one who is a complete expert at it. Usually she gives it up once she is settled into her work. Horses who are coming back into the school after time off can show a bridle lameness for a time, due to lateral stiffness.

josephinebutter2

Visit site
I'd get the vet down for a check over personally - at least it will put your mind at rest.

To repeat what I just said in another post - it costs about £50 for a full work up including call out, and that's good value for peace of mind in my opion!

Sounds like early signs of something to me, or may need more treatment for the sidebone - either way, you will know what you are dealing with.
x

Doublethyme

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it costs about £50 for a full work up including call out, and that's good value for peace of mind in my opion!

[/ QUOTE ]
Blimey wish I had your vets! It costs us £60 plus just to get them to the gate, let alone onto the yard for a lameness work up!

jcberry

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it costs about £50 for a full work up including call out, and that's good value for peace of mind in my opion!

[/ QUOTE ]
Blimey wish I had your vets! It costs us £60 plus just to get them to the gate, let alone onto the yard for a lameness work up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto
tongue.gif

thanks for all your advice, i am going to talk to my mum and YO and see what we can do xx