Lameness - Struggling!

If_you_see_kate

Visit site
Hello,

I posted on here last year - Title 'Lameness Help!'. Regarding my TB who had gone lame at the same time each year (September) and was diagnosed in his left foot with an old DDFT tear (After reading his MRI report, it is more like tendonitis than a tear), unbalanced feet and mild arthritis of the DIP and PIP. He showed unbalanced feet and mild arthritis in the same joints of his right hoof.

We injected Osphos and he had a steroid coffin joint injection in his left foot. We box rested Dec - April/May, I took his shoes off and gradually increased work. He had been in full work since July with no problems. A lot of his old schooling problems were resolved (taking the wrong lead in canter etc) he is still barefoot

Late September he had routine physio who noticed a slight head bob on the right rein in trot, only ridden and on soft ground. New saddle was fitted shortly after this - no back issues to report from the physio or saddle fitter.

Slight lameness didn't resolve (I could only just feel it in the trot) so vet came out. Lameness work up put him at 1/10ths lame on the right before flexion, 2/10ths after. Nerve blocking the whole foot resolved the slight lameness.

Vet injected Steriod into left coffin joint, and work has been slowly increased again. Unfortunately I don't think he is fully comfortable being ridden and I am at a bit of a loss on what to do!

I assume that most of his lameness issues are down to his unbalanced feet, but I don't understand how we can be back to full work with no issues all summer and September hits and he gets sore again! He has been tested for Cushings and it was a firm negative

Any ideas?

Goldenstar

Visit site
These horses are very difficult I have been here you can keep them happy and comfy and in some sort of work but it costs a lot of money .
It’s clear he has a foot issue however if he’s not had his back xrayed I would get it done .
Have you triple and quadruple checked for thrush it sounds silly but I have seen t with my own eyes mild thrush causing this type of issue .
I would also consider and effective targeted programme of work in hand over poles to increase core strength .
Money spent showing you how to to do this would be money well spent .

If_you_see_kate

Visit site
These horses are very difficult I have been here you can keep them happy and comfy and in some sort of work but it costs a lot of money .
It’s clear he has a foot issue however if he’s not had his back xrayed I would get it done .
Have you triple and quadruple checked for thrush it sounds silly but I have seen t with my own eyes mild thrush causing this type of issue .
I would also consider and effective targeted programme of work in hand over poles to increase core strength .
Money spent showing you how to to do this would be money well spent .

I think it would be easier if he was like this all the time, or it correlated with the work we were doing, but he goes incredibly for most of the year, but then something sets it off at the same time every year.

I'm not against x-raying his back, but as he blocked sound to a foot nerve block I think that's the area we need to focus on at the moment.

I will keep my eye out for thrush - I must admit I have been a bit off the ball with it recently. I did a sugardine poultice a few weeks ago in an attempt to harden his sole a bit and he did feel much better after that, now I think about it.

I try to do a ground work / in hand pole session once a week - I will try to increase these and see if there are any improvements.

I'd at least xray to see if there are any obvious improvements to be aimed for trim wise.

Yes, probably a good idea - my farrier is due out on Friday so I will grill him for ideas then