Lameness update

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
An update for anyone who replied to my last thread :) we spent the whole day at Oakham yesterday trying to work out what’s been going on with Henry. The phrase “vets should never own horses, they’re never straightforward to work up” about sums it up. 5 sets of nerve blocks, a clean set of X-rays, clean ultrasound and an MRI later we finally have an answer!

He’s got a really nasty bone bruise on his pastern, and some fluid in the middle of the SDFT overlying it :( The SDFT isn’t enlarged and the fibres look ok on ultrasound so we are hopeful this is just a tiny lesion or bruising/inflammation.

Recovery is going to be a bit “how long is a piece of string” unfortunately. But current plan is at least 6wks box rest, the first 3 weeks on bute, and the next fortnight with a support bandage on. If he’s sound at 4wks he can do short walks in hand. Then (if he’s sound) we are going to re-MRI at 6-8wks with a view to see if he’s healed enough to start to come back into work. But also with the awareness that it might take up to 12 weeks (or even longer) for him to be fully sound, and there’s no point MRI-ing again until he is.

So obviously it’s a complete bummer that Summer riding plans are out. But silver linings and all: he should come 100% right eventually, there’s hopefully no long term damage and it’s an injury that’s not likely to recur. Plus they said he was an absolute saint and made their lives very easy, which is always nice to hear! He’s got a nice big stable to box rest in, plenty of hay, and we’re going to try and make sure there’s another horse next to him for most of the day that he can interact with over the wall.

I just keep reminding myself that it could have been a lot worse, and he will be ok. Now to put all my energy into making sure he has everything he needs to make his recovery as quick and uneventful as possibly :)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Oh whilst immediately crap, the outlook seems positive. I've had bone bruising myself, it's excruciating.
Fingers crossed for a good & speedy recovery.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Oh whilst immediately crap, the outlook seems positive. I've had bone bruising myself, it's excruciating.
Fingers crossed for a good & speedy recovery.

Yes, it explains why he’s SO sore still after 2 weeks. Referral vet seemed very positive, basically said he doesn’t know exactly how long he will take but there’s nothing to suggest he won’t come right. There’s no fractures or joint involvement, which would have complicated things!

I'm glad that you've found out what's wrong, phew. Hope that Henry's recovery is straightforward.

Handy getting an MRI on the day, too.

Dare you browse the horses for sale sites in the meantime?
Yes, glad I said I wanted to block out MRI on the same day as didn’t fancy taking the 2hour trailer trip again and extra day off work if I could avoid it!

I need to speak to my dad and livery owner. Horses usually live out in the summer, so Henry’s field will be going spare for at least the next few months... So if my dad can help me with initial cost (to be paid back once Henry recovered and sold) and livery can accommodate it then maybe... ;)

Visit site
One of "my" horses at work had some bone bruising to a hind cannon bone. He wasn't MRI'd it was just process of elimination. He had 3 months off then 3 months of work before racing again for another few years with no issues what so ever.

So in the long term your horse will be absolutely fine. And even in the relatively short term he will be fine. Its just a few months but frustratingly it's the summer months.

misst

Visit site
I'm so pleased you have found something and that long term it will be ok. Just shows sometimes you just need to follow your gut and keep looking. Sorry it has spoiled you plans though - horses are so frustrating

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks for the update, was wondering how he got on! No wonder he has been so sore on it but I'd think largely good news long term.