Lameness - with video

Marnie

Visit site
My mare is out at night and in during the day. I went to get her in this morning and found her like this.

Vet has been, her temp is 38.4 which is a bit high for her, and the inside of the leg below the knee is warm and swollen. Vet is thinking cellulitis and has given a bute injection and antibiotics and will reasses Tuesday.

Has anyone seen a horse move like this with cellulitis? Initially I was thinking more knee or shoulder.

Thanks!

IrishMilo

Visit site
Yep, that's exactly how my gelding moved with cellulitis which resulted from him kicking himself to the bone on the cannon. The antibiotics worked pretty much straight away. Five mins walk in the AM and five in the PM with as much cold hosing as she'll tolerate.

Marnie

Visit site
Yep, that's exactly how my gelding moved with cellulitis which resulted from him kicking himself to the bone on the cannon. The antibiotics worked pretty much straight away. Five mins walk in the AM and five in the PM with as much cold hosing as she'll tolerate.

Thank you, that's really helpful as I've seen cellulitis before but never seen similar lameness. I am a bit more chilled about it now!

Equi

Visit site
It wasn’t cellulitis but when my boy had a bad reaction to a horsefly bite (the bite was found to be on his upper leg just under shoulder) he moved like this. I wouldn’t have known it was a bite until my YO spotted the tiniest orange mark on him. I doubt you would see the mark on this horse. A days bute and turn out he was grand.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Thank you, that's really helpful as I've seen cellulitis before but never seen similar lameness. I am a bit more chilled about it now!

Was the first time I'd seen it too, and like you I'd thought he'd buggered his knee or shoulder. I'd recommend having a really thorough look at the leg all over - my boy's 'cut' was so small and hard to see I missed it for a few days. We only found it when we clipped the leg.

Marnie

Visit site
I've clipped her leg and can't see anything obvious. I've left her in peace and quiet for now as she was getting a bit upset with me messing around with it.

Thanks for the replies though, I am a lot less panicked than this morning now!

Marnie

Visit site
Wow thanks for sharing the video, I wouldn't have known that was potential cellulitis so good to have a reference.

I hope your horse picks up soon

I know - I was really thinking she'd done something major to her shoulder or possibly knee. I've just moved and have new vets and wasn't sure when the vet said cellulitis so it was such a relief to see others have seen the same!

Hackback

Visit site
It looks like she just doesn't want to bend her knee and is swinging her leg to the side to avoid bending, it must be so painful. My boy stood with his leg pointing like a ballerina and refused to weight bear at all. He can be a bit dramatic though. Hope the anti-b's do the trick and your mare feels better soon

Marnie

Visit site
It looks like she just doesn't want to bend her knee and is swinging her leg to the side to avoid bending, it must be so painful. My boy stood with his leg pointing like a ballerina and refused to weight bear at all. He can be a bit dramatic though. Hope the anti-b's do the trick and your mare feels better soon

Thank you and I think you are right about the not wanting to bend - she now has a little swelling above the knee. As you say, hopefully the anti-b's will kick in soon!