Lameness

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Just venting because I’m so frustrated/upset/worried. Henry has been lame for nearly 2 weeks now, and we still have very little idea what’s caus it.

We’re now pretty much back at square one (maybe slight improvement but very minimal) having got much lamer early last week. Foot x-rays taken last Monday were clean, farrier couldn’t find much other than some heat in the inner side, but digging only produced blood. He’s positive to hoof testers round the hole now, but think that’s just from the digging. Have been poulticing and tubbing with Epsom salts to no avail.

I just hate not knowing what’s going on with him, and imagining all the worst case scenarios. Planning to refer for full workup and possibly MRI at the end of the week if still not improving. Just wallowing and need to share.

Video from today
https://youtube.com/shorts/ypjYZLVMmME?feature=share

And then from when I first noticed it
https://youtube.com/shorts/6FCKsMa6LNc?feature=share

(yes the videos are fairly pants, he’s not easy to lunge at the best of times so trying to film and lunge is a challenge ?)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Oh bless him... :(

I think that you are right and he needs further investigation. I hope they identify the issue and that it is easily treated. It's just so worrying when they are lame and you don't know why.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Poor Henry and poor you...only option is the full works of vet investigation..nerve blocks etc. I sincerely hope the cause is found and fixed soon.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Thank you. He seems pretty cheerful in the field, and luckily he’s back to being comfortable at walk now.

I’m going to be on the phone with the referral place tomorrow to get an appointment sorted, I can always cancel if by some miracle he improves in the meantime!

We went through this 18mo ago with a front leg, but that turned out to be a bruised/hairline fracture of pastern bone, which came right with box rest and he’s been 100% ever since.

I’m just hoping he’s not done anything soft tissue wise in the foot, because I know prognosis isn’t great. But the longer it goes on the more likely that looks... I just want him to come right!

racebuddy

Visit site
Oh bless him hes very lame in the video xx my boy was fracture lame in front at beg of lockdown but that was due to brusing ect as he was unshod thankfully came sound and shod all round xx but i agree with u by going down the referal route and with being a vet u should get done quciker ? Xx

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Poor you and poor horse, he really is quite lame. However, to maybe offer some glimmer of hope I had a totally non reactive to testers 3 week lame horse, till the smallest amount of pus eventually came out of the coronet band.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Echoing good luck for Friday.

My horse's lameness is a long and sorry story but he basically came in lame like that but with a swollen hock the first evening. The hock subsided and then he had numerous x-rays and scans and nerve blocks with the vet diagnosing a mineralised tendon. Six months and two vets later and an xray found he'd chipped a fairly large piece of bone of the back of his hock. Unfortunately it was too late by then to remove it. 18 months later he is still lame at trot but newest vet thinks it's mechanical, rather than pain, so I am hacking him gently but his competition career (which wasn't anything other than the odd show and dressage test) is over and I don't lunge him any more.

So getting a full work up is great but also trust that you know your own horse - I thoroughly regret having not been more insistent at the beginning. I have since changed vet practice.

Ossy2

Visit site
Just to give a bit of hope, my horse had lameness that looked like this and she had a strained hamstring, took about 6 weeks rest but came back fine. ?? For Friday, nerve blocks are a good start.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Thank you, hoping it’s something relatively easily fixable. I’m 90% sure it’s fetlock or below from the nerve blocks I’ve done already. But will have to see what they think too. Timing couldn’t be much worse, but he will get whatever he needs and whatever gives him the best chance of coming right ?

racebuddy

Visit site
Thank you, hoping it’s something relatively easily fixable. I’m 90% sure it’s fetlock or below from the nerve blocks I’ve done already. But will have to see what they think too. Timing couldn’t be much worse, but he will get whatever he needs and whatever gives him the best chance of coming right ?
he is stunning boy , i have spent thosunds on my boy with melamonas with and without insurance once that was used up , then we nearly lost him with a haemoabdomen but thankfully after a lot of meds and money he came right , it was touch and go as they didnt know if he would ever come right or even compete again , he is now 18 and eventing fit and hates it if not worked and out at pony parties , eventing 80/90 and schooling around the 100 tracks and finding this very easy , while he is happy and wanting to carry on will let him , everything crossed for your boy , he gets treadmilled , massagers on and legs clayed and plenty of time in the field to chill out , thinking of you on friday , mine has got three month melnaoma check on friday