Lamenting Carlos Gracida

Skib

sites.google.com
The horse world and its forums are a mystery to me.
The only sport OH and I ever watch is polo and we were shocked yesterday in central London to pick up the Evening Standard and see that Carlos Gracida had been killed in a fall. To us he was a household name.
Someone more accomplished than I should have posted this tribute - Over many summers he gave great pleasure to us as spectators and we did not expect polo to cost him his life.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Skib, whilst possibly less than lyrical and perhaps not from the pen of Alistair Down, none-the-less, your tribute was heartfelt and your distress is apparent. I doubt that Carlos Gracida would have asked for, or expected, more than that.

RIP Sir, you are missed.

a.

Mariposa

Visit site
I think the whole polo world is in shock.

Not only was he one of the world most accomplished players and beautiful horseman, but he was by all accounts a kind and gentle man, hugely admired by all. When the news started filtering through yesterday I just couldn't believe that he had really gone, after such a freak accident. RIP to a great player.

I think Monty Robert's memorial to him really says it all :
"It was a devastating message that came through to me today. The loss of Carlos Gracida was certainly unexpected and weighs heavy on me under the circumstances of our relationship and all that he meant to the horses we love. Carlos Gracida was a dedicated athlete able to rise to number one in the world. At the same time, he had a quiet dignity about him that the world of polo has rarely seen. Carlos could and did associate with royalty and at the same time possessed the humility that allowed him to strike deep friendships with the ordinary working people of the game he loved so much. Carlos will be missed by each and every person who met him, but he left us all with the hope and confidence of better times to come.

The game of polo is immensely better off for having known Carlos Gracida and the horses that play this game will be thankful for his presence for generations to come. Carlos and his brother Memo, along with Adolfo Cambiaso were the first to take the message of non-violent training to Argentina and throughout the game the brothers excelled in. The loss of Carlos ignites within me the desire to press forward in the work that was noted by Queen Elizabeth II at Guards Polo Club, June 24, 2012. I am certain that Carlos would encourage me to press even harder on my goal to leave polo in a better place because of the techniques he, Memo and Adolfo took to Argentina beginning about five years ago..."