Laminitic

MagicMelon

Visit site
Pony is coming back from new home after he kept getting laminitis which is probably due to their lush grass (even though they were restricting it, doing all the right things, following advice from vet etc.).

We have never had a problem with him getting it. He'd always been turned out 24/7 in a small paddock with one of my other ponies. Im just wondering if I should do this again since he's been going through this phase of repeatadly getting it. We are very experienced with laminitis as one of our ponies got it very badly many years ago (but we have successfully kept him sound since). But Im just curious as to your opinions with what I should do with him when he comes back.

Im thinking maybe I should tape off a small area of the usual paddock until the grass stops growing and turns into winter (so maybe til November-ish to be sure). Giving him just old hay and a feed of Happy Hoof and a vit supplement. I have stables but do not want to keep the pony in 24/7 although I could bring him in at night if need be.

Opinions?

OliveOyl

Visit site
I've got my lammy pony in a very small grass paddock as he stresses himself stupid in the stable as he can't see over the door, whereas out in the field he can see where everyone is and what they're up to and is much happier. He goes in there in the day with a haynet of old hay, then goes out in the big field at night with his muzzle on so he can have a mooch about and kick his heels up a bit.

Blizzard

Visit site
Our shettie has just got over lami, he was living in, couldnt see over the stable but didnt mind, he had a treat ball and likit to play with so was happy!

We also turned him out in the school so he could stretch his legs and have a good roll when he was no longer lame, he had 1 slice of haya day and a handful of happyhof, after about a month he was fine and is back out in the filed with all his friends now
grin.gif

eekmon

Visit site
The lami pony at our yard gets turned out in the day with a muzzle, she also is fed on happy hoof, topspec anti-lam, but has hay soaked ( as its new) So really you would be doing 'almost ' the same with your pony if you stabled him at night!

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
The grass still seems quite rich, my girl is wearng her muzzle again since moving into a very large, very grassy paddock and she is getting her laminaze and exercise too.

you could bring pony in at night until the grass has really died down and muzzle during the day, my girl is muzzled in day and in at night as its time that they have to come in now